Don Baylor has passed away

SteveA

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

One of my favorites... loved how he crowed the plate and dared pitchers to pitch inside.

And they did. He might hold the record for being hit. My memory of Baylor as a player was mostly as the Yankees DH. 

RIP

Imagine being a young player and having to fight for playing time with Frank Robinson.  And he was like a young Frank Robinson in that he was tremendously strong and physically tough.  And he was one helluva gifted player.  Shoulder injuries early on limited his ability to throw, but other than that, there wasn't much he couldn't excell at.  He was a phenom.  RIP, Don Baylor.    

39 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

And Reggie played for the Orioles for less than a full season. We also got Ken Holtzman in the deal. Bad deal for the Orioles at the time.

I'm not sure I'd say that.   Both Baylor and Jackson were due to be free agents at the time.   Baylor played all year and had a decent season (.247/.329/.368, 15 HR, 68 RBI, 2.9 rWAR).    Jackson missed a month but produced a lot more than Baylor (.277/.351/.502, 27 HR, 93 RBI, 5.3 rWAR).    Holtzman pitched decently for us for half a season, then was a key element of the trade that brought us Scott McGregor, Rudy May, Tippy Martinez, Rick Dempsey and Dave Pagan. 

Archived