Roster moves in the next several weeks

wildcard

Just thinking about who will be coming and who will be going.  JMO

1) Friday  the O's will call up Santander and Flaherty.   My guess is that Tejada and Gentry will be DFA'd to Norfolk if they pass through waivers.    The O's will want Gentry back when the rosters expand Sept 1st.

2) Hardy will not join the O's until after the roster expands according the latest reports.

3) Somewhere between Sept 1st to the 4th the following players on the 40 man roster will be called up.   Crichton,  Hart, Wright and Yacabonis.

4) Hardy and Gentry will be called up on the 1st.  It will require roster moves to get them to be added to the 40 man roster.   DFA candidates are Verrett, Ynoa and Aquino who will be out for options next year and probably don't figure to make the Orioles roster.   Nuno  is on the restricted list.   They may have to wait until the 4th to DFA him.    Wilson is on the bubble IMO.   If he pitches well in the next two weeks  he may be called up.  If he doesn't pitch well he may be DFA.  Depending on who else the O's want to add.

5) Others on the O's 40 man roster have options and the O's may want to keep them.  However, if the O's want to add players to help with the pennant race their spots could be in danger.  Players the O's may want to add include:

-  A veteran starter like Miguel Gonzalez or equal.

- Pedro Alvarez and/or Chris Johnson as pinch hitters.

- The O's normally add a 3rd catcher.  Sisco could be called up but I think he is more likely to be sent to Sarasota on the taxis squad for the rest of September.   Pena may go there or be called up. 

- A veteran lefthanded reliever to supplement Bleier and Hart.

Who the O's are willing be DFA to make room is the limiting factor in who gets called up.  

There will be more room to add players after the  season as the free agents come off the roster including Jimenez, Miley, Tillman, Hellickson, Smith, Flaherty and Gentry.

JMO.  What  do you think happens.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow and/or Thursday will be interesting.  

I still wish they would keep Tejada over Flaherty.  He's simply a better hitter and I don't think you lose much defensively.  Also, if they don't want to lose Gentry, they could option Rickard for the next two weeks and call him up on Sep 1.

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Sisco adds more value to expanded roster than Pena because you will need LH bat before a 3rd catcher for defense.

Pena will get the call over Sisco. Pena knows the pitchers and Sisco will just be burning 30 days of service time on the bench. 

Verrett and Nuno will be the first two guys to get DFA'd. Both are relievers and both are out of options for next year. 

I just don't think we're going to see us call up a bunch of position players. Probably just Gentry and Pena. Maybe Tejeda, Maybe Alvarez. But that would require us to release some arms. 

I think we will try and carry Wilson, Wright, Aquino and Ynoa on the 40 man as long as possible and let them battle it out for a rotation spot next year. 

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

Any of the young OFers get a look in September? DirtyBird mentioned Sisco - think he gets a look? I'd like to see Sisco and Hays, unless Hays would be rushed up too quickly.

i don't expect to see Hays this season with the O's.  He will hopefully be in the playoff at AA for some part of September.   He still has time as a minor leaguer before he has to be add to the 40 man roster.  He is protected from the Rule 5 draft without being added to the 40 man roster.  That is one 40  man roster spot that can go to someone else.  It would take a major injury to get him called up to help in the pennant race IMO.

38 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I would like to hang on to Aquino if possible.

As it stands right this second, Aquino will be in the rotation next year so I don't see him going anywhere. Now a lot can happen between now and then, but considering the Orioles need three starters next year behind Bundy and Gausman, and Aquino is probably the best of the swingman/5th starters in AA or higher, my guess is he competing for a rotation spot next spring.

I think Tanner Scott might get a September call up when Bowie's season is over unless they plan to send him out to the AFL again. He has to be put on the 40-man roster this offseason or be risked to rule 5 so the Orioles might ant to get a preview of him against major league hitters.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

i don't expect to see Hays this season with the O's.  He will hopefully be in the playoff at AA for some part of October.   He still has time as a minor leaguer before he has to be add to the 40 man roster.  He is protected from the Rule 5 draft without being added to the 40 man roster.  That is one 40  man roster spot that can go to someone else.  It would take a major injury to get him called up to help in the pennant race IMO.

The minor league season generally wraps up at the end of August, early September at the latest.  This is because of the 40man roster expansion on Sep 1.  Norfolk, Bowie, Frederick, and Delmarva all play their last game Sep 4.  With playoffs starting immediately after.

28 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Any of the young OFers get a look in September? DirtyBird mentioned Sisco - think he gets a look? I'd like to see Sisco and Hays, unless Hays would be rushed up too quickly.

Neither Mullins and Hays have to be protected on the 40-man roster this offseason so you are just taking two spots up for little return. Sisco could see a promotion though although the orioles tend to not bring prospects up for September looks but normally bring up the 26-30 roster guys.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

i don't expect to see Hays this season with the O's.  He will hopefully be in the playoff at AA for some part of October.   He still has time as a minor leaguer before he has to be add to the 40 man roster.  He is protected from the Rule 5 draft without being added to the 40 man roster.  That is one 40  man roster spot that can go to someone else.  It would take a major injury to get him called up to help in the pennant race IMO.

I think you are using pennant race a little too loosely here. ;) 

It's the 2nd Wildcard race that the Orioles are technically still in. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Tanner Scott might get a September call up when Bowie's season is over unless they plan to send him out to the AFL again. He has to be put on the 40-man roster this offseason or be risked to rule 5 so the Orioles might ant to get a preview of him against major league hitters.

Since Scott seems to profile as a power lefty out of the bullpen, I have no problem with them starting his service clock.  With a starter, I'd be much more worried.  Also, even if he gets some time this year in September, he can still start next year in Norfolk and restrict is service time at the beginning of next season, if that's a concern.

49 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Tomorrow and/or Thursday will be interesting.  

I still wish they would keep Tejada over Flaherty.  He's simply a better hitter and I don't think you lose much defensively.  

What's better about Tejada's hitting?

Tejada -- .643 OPS career, .576 in 2017.

Flaherty -- .641 OPS career, .590 in 2017.

Seems like a wash to me.    I think Tejada's probably the better defensive SS, but Flaherty has more experience at the other positions.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems like a wash to me.    I think Tejada's probably the better defensive SS, but Flaherty has more experience at the other positions.   

I guess familiarity breeds contempt.  I've seen enough of Flaherty over the past years to know he isn't a good hitter.  I guess that I haven't seen enough of Tejada to reach the same conclusion.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Money and loyalty. Buck is not DFAing Flaherty over Tejeda regardless of the similar offensive numbers the last few seasons. Plus, Flaherty is more versatile which is a big plus in a utility player.

Archived