Will Castillo opt out?

wildcard

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see them letting Sisco sit in AAA on account of Caleb and Beef.  If he doesn't opt out I see him being traded.

+1, between the opt out and being traded for a bag of balls, the odds of Castillo being on the O's is pretty low. Not zero but less than 50%. If I am Castillo, I probably want a multiyear deal, so I think opt out is the most likely scenario, but plenty of teams would be interested in a 108 OPS+ catcher for $7M if they don't have to give up anything big.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

WAR's a stat that doesn't seem to make sense a lot of times.  Last year, Castillo had a 2.4 WAR, and this year he's at 1.2.  But imo, last year was an off year for him, and this year, he's playing significantly better.  And 2 years ago was his best year imo, but he had just a 1.4.   

Is that on fangraphs or BBref? BBref adds in defensive metrics. That and it depends on how many games he played in.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Caleb's success is sustainable.  I wasn't surprised simply because I've looked at the numbers recently.

Do you think CS% is a key stat to look for in Catchers?  Do you think being an asset in controlling the running game is a necessary skill?

It is an important stat sure.   You can't have a track meet out there.  I guess I would also have to look at wild pitches / passed balls.

Anything else I can help you with Socrates?    ;)

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

It is an important stat sure.   You can't have a track meet out there.  I guess I would also have to look at wild pitches / passed balls.

Anything else I can help you with Socrates?    ;)

That is all for now.  :D

I was just curious about the CS bit since a wide variance in opinion seems to exist on the topic.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just curious about the CS bit since a wide variance in opinion seems to exist on the topic.

OK, heh, sounds good.  It felt like you were leading me somewhere and I was getting a little tired of the journey.

It's definitely fair to wonder how we will address the catching situation next year............I certainly HOPE Castillo comes back but I do not expect it.   I think the biggest issues though are what do we do with the following contracts about to expire:

-Machado

-Duquette

-Buck

-Jones

And of course where do we get 3/5 of a starting rotation?

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

OK, heh, sounds good.  It felt like you were leading me somewhere and I was getting a little tired of the journey.

It's definitely fair to wonder how we will address the catching situation next year............I certainly HOPE Castillo comes back but I do not expect it.   I think the biggest issues though are what do we do with the following contracts about to expire:

-Machado

-Duquette

-Buck

-Jones

And of course where do we get 3/5 of a starting rotation?

Top 3 should be extended IMO. Jones though....IDK. If Santander does well in Norfolk and we don't get rid of Trumbo, then the outfield and 40 man are clusters. 

Honestly (Don't shoot me here) I think we keep Wade Miley for $9 million next year. Less shopping that DD has to do. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how a wide variance of opinion sits on a crucial number for catchers on whether or not they can control the running game. I know for a fact Sisco can't do that at the MLB level very well. 

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Top 3 should be extended IMO. Jones though....IDK. If Santander does well in Norfolk and we don't get rid of Trumbo, then the outfield and 40 man are clusters. 

Honestly (Don't shoot me here) I think we keep Wade Miley for $9 million next year. Less shopping that DD has to do. 

Wade Miley has been an atrocity this year. You will be able to acquire better pitchers for less than $9 million.

That's not saying the market's going to be low - it's really a testament to how bad Miley is.

It bothers me a great deal that the team ERA is much higher when Castillo catches (5.51) than when Joseph does (4.31).      

Miley: 6.26/3.86

Gausman: 7.53/3.13

Jimenez: 8.06/5.37

Bundy: 3.72/5.03

Tillman: 10.06/6.85

Obviously, there is a ton of noise in CERA statistics, and I assume the splits for the rest of the staff favor Castillo overall.    But these are gaping differences among the guys who rely most heavily on their catcher to have a game plan for them.     I'd rather spend my $7 mm elsewhere and give Joseph/Sisco a shot.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

Wade Miley has been an atrocity this year. You will be able to acquire better pitchers for less than $9 million.

That's not saying the market's going to be low - it's really a testament to how bad Miley is.

Like whom, for example? Miley has been bad at points this year, but if it means Manny is resigned, plus maybe Schoop as well, then I'm all for it. This FA market is going to be a lot of garbage in terms of pitching. Only 2 I like are Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, but I'd be interested in Jaime Garcia. 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Looks like you are just going by his offense.

WAR is a cumulative stat. 

In 2015 he only played in 80 games, he's only played in 70 so far this year.  Last year he played in 113.

Shocking disclosure - I'm not up on metrics.  Is there a WAR per game stat?  If yes, wouldn't that be more useful than WAR in determining how good a player is?    

9 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I don't see how a wide variance of opinion sits on a crucial number for catchers on whether or not they can control the running game. I know for a fact Sisco can't do that at the MLB level very well. 

Not sure what you are talking about.

I was talking about how important the caught stealing rate is.

I for one don't think a low CS% is a deal breaker for a catcher. 

Archived