Trade Machado, Schoop......

vab

....and anyone else who can bring young, controllable starting pitching with upside. I don't see any other way to go. Besides, this club probably won't be able to sign either one of those guys long term anyway. Fix the starting pitching at all costs then you work on the rest of it. 

You either sign Manny to an extension or you trade him. You don't let him ride out 2018. 

Bank on Britton being healthy the remainder of this season. Trade him in the offseason to the any number of clubs that missed the playoffs due to a patchwork bullpen...or to a team looking to make an elite pen (see: Dodgers).

That aside, I'm incredibly disappointed the Orioles didn't trade Smith or Castillo at the deadline.

I'm thinking what the O's need to do is once Castro is eligible to come back up...they need to cut Ubaldo. They should have done it weeks ago (months?) but here we are. Then let Castro start.

This season is cooked.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

You either sign Manny to an extension or you trade him. You don't let him ride out 2018. 

Bank on Britton being healthy the remainder of this season. Trade him in the offseason to the any number of clubs that missed the playoffs due to a patchwork bullpen...or to a team looking to make an elite pen (see: Dodgers).

That aside, I'm incredibly disappointed the Orioles didn't trade Smith or Castillo at the deadline.

I'm thinking what the O's need to do is once Castro is eligible to come back up...they need to cut Ubaldo. They should have done it weeks ago (months?) but here we are. Then let Castro start.

This season is cooked.

Yep, 4.5 games back for a WC and seven teams in front of them, nothing has really changed in that regard since the deadline.

Castro, maybe Wright one last time before they move him to the pen for good. His stuff looks better, but I still need to be convinced. Tanner Scott. 

Whomever they add from within the system should be auditioning to make the roster out of ST in 2018. Their weakness this year does not get solved by paying another mediocre starter next year.

A successful organization has to maximize its best players. Manny and Schoop simply have to be signed. Manny is literally a generational talent and that doesn't happen often. Of course he may not want to stay. That has to be figured out asap bc letting him walk would be gross mismanagement. Of course if management is serious going forward, one of Davis/Trumbo has to go too. Rationale here is while both contracts are bad, you can probably hide one. You cannot be competitive with having to run both out there every night. Frankly, if CD played good defense at first and battted 9th I'd be ok with that. But I'd move one/both and take back a contract for a pitcher or a dead skunk or something. 

39 minutes ago, foxfield said:

A successful organization has to maximize its best players. Manny and Schoop simply have to be signed. Manny is literally a generational talent and that doesn't happen often. Of course he may not want to stay. That has to be figured out asap bc letting him walk would be gross mismanagement. Of course if management is serious going forward, one of Davis/Trumbo has to go too. Rationale here is while both contracts are bad, you can probably hide one. You cannot be competitive with having to run both out there every night. Frankly, if CD played good defense at first and battted 9th I'd be ok with that. But I'd move one/both and take back a contract for a pitcher or a dead skunk or something. 

And who would be responsible for that gross mismanagement?

30 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And who would be responsible for that gross mismanagement?

Welcome Oriole Hangout readers!  Today we would like to examine the question of the day!  Today our question comes from well known, highly respected and long time demonstrator of OH knowledge.  Our reader, II BuonO writes in today to ask whose fault it would be if the Orioles allow once in a generation talent, Manny Machado, to leave after next year as a free agent.  

II BuonO, you ask a great question and this question strikes at the heart of the dysfunction many have come to dread regarding the Orioles.  You see, when the Orioles hire GMs, unlike normal professional sports teams, they have to sign on with the understanding that ownership will be very wishy washy.  The Orioles want to win, but they would prefer to make money.  And Ownership likes to weigh in on deals because, well sometimes it's fun and sometimes it makes them look smart.  And unlike well run organizations, the Orioles do not trust the people they hire, so they hire other people to undermine those in charge.  And then they give those people special powers to make decisions to help with running the team...see?  So really, II BuonO, it is like the Orioles get to have 2 or 3 GMs and therefore we get to your very astute question.  Who would be responsible for that gross mismanagement should the Orioles allow Manny Machado to leave via free agency and the Orioles with the parting gift of a draft pic and some special memories?

Well to be perfectly fair II BuonO, since the Orioles use this special system that utilizes multiple GMs (what some in the world of sanity might describe as FUBAR) the answer to your question requires an extremely technical and specific answer and in order to allocate the blame appropriately and fairly between the individual power players within the web of the Oriole power structure.  

In order to do this properly it will take what will appear to be a political and legally wordsmithed answer.  This is unfortunate, but alas, necessary.  Obviously, ownership is part of management.  So to is the the manager, who is known to weigh in with ownership on contracts.  We also have our internal secret GM, Brady Anderson, who likes to hint every so often about his power in getting deals done (O'Day, Trumbo).  And of course we have a GM, Dan Duquette.  There are other sub power players and undercover players, but due to constraints and confidences, we will avoid naming names other than to note that said blackops group exists.  

So once again, we would like to thank II BuonO for the question of the day:  Who would be responsible for the gross management of allowing Manny Machado to walk as a free agent leaving the Orioles with a draft pick as consolation?

DAMN. THEM. ALLl!!!

Thanks again II BuonO for bringing us the question of the day!!

(Seriously thanks, this was meant as a serious yet humorous look at the plight of the everyday Baltimore Oriole fan. No offense is intended to any reader or named person in this post and any offense taken is hereby apologized for fully.  The stated apology does not apply to Baltimore Orioles, it's ownership, or leadership.  This post is also completely void if posted on Wednesday)

11 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

This season is cooked.

It's possible there wasn't really a market for either. And certainly not a market that'd return any kind of young SP.

11 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Thanks for that highlight. That was probably the zenith of this current O's team.

Back on topic. We need to keep Manny and Schoop. We do have some money coming off the books. We can do some things.

Definitely the peak of this team. 2014 was magical, especially given that they lost Wieters early, Machado kind of in the middle and Davis down the stretch. And kept winning, until running into a white-hot Royals team.

We're about to enter a very interesting time for the Orioles. Does this organization have the cash to pay both of those guys and still field a competent 25-man roster?

24 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

We need two #3 pitchers to compete and I don't see how we get there from here.

If we can't get there, we should sell off assets, invest in the farm system and prepare for our next competitive team.

This is way too rational or the Orioles.

Angelos is responsible for setting up this dysfunctional management system The best solution would be to make Buck the GM. There would be less sniping and back stabbing, and I think Buck would embrace a rebuild as a GM. Maybe Brady would like to manage one? They should trade Manny, Britton, Schoop, and whomever if they can extend them. But they won't.

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Angelos is responsible for setting up this dysfunctional management system The best solution would be to make Buck the GM. There would be less sniping and back stabbing, and I think Buck would embrace a rebuild as a GM. Maybe Brady would like to manage one? They should trade Manny, Britton, Schoop, and whomever if they can extend them. But they won't.

Thing is - Has Buck done anything to indicate he'd be a good GM?  I'd be worried that he'd be too loyal to several of his players... and it wouldn't surprise me if he had a lot to do with the devestatingly bad Chris Davis signing.  

Whether or not they sign Manny is the most important decision for the future of the organization.  They need to figure out what their plans are and communicate that.  There's no reason to trade Schoop at this point.  But just because they should keep Manny and Schoop doesn't mean they need to keep Britton.  And if they do trade Britton, it doesn't have to be for prospects.  Sometimes I get the feeling folks don't understand that it's possible to trade Britton for player(s) that can provide help sooner rather than later (meaning in 2018 or at least by 2019).           

Buck built World Series Championship teams for the New York Yankees, Arizona Diamondbacks and Texas Rangers.  The problem was, Buck was never around to see the teams that he built actually win the World Series.  In each case, Buck was fired and his successor enjoyed the fruits of Buck’s labor.

Archived