We are a 10th place team

1968_bills_fan

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I wouldn't trust Gausman at all. I wish there was better pitching in the minors. Someone ready to come up to Baltimore. So they could trade Kevin G. IMO 

Kevin is 4-2 with a 4.02 ERA since the All-Star break.  Next year I think we should begin with the 2nd half first.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FA this fall: Lance Lynn, Michael Pineda, Andrew Cashner, Alex Cobb, Jaime Garcia, Nathan Eovaldi, Tyler Chatwood, Jhoulys Chacin, Jeremy Hellickson. All of these could help us next season. Any of these cost 5 years 20M AAV? Lynn, Cobb, and Cashner would be top choices.

10 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

FA this fall: Lance Lynn, Michael Pineda, Andrew Cashner, Alex Cobb, Jaime Garcia, Nathan Eovaldi, Tyler Chatwood, Jhoulys Chacin, Jeremy Hellickson. All of these could help us next season. Any of these cost 5 years 20M AAV? Lynn, Cobb, and Cashner would be top choices.

I don't think FA pitchers want to pitch in Camden Yard unless they have no other choice. ........ Like Ubaldo when his as a FA.

I think the O's are going to have to go to the traded market.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think FA pitchers want to pitch in Camden Yard unless they have no other choice. ........ Like Ubaldo when his as a FA.

I think the O's are going to have to go to the traded market.

According to b.b.r. OPACY i not a hitter's park. If you pay them they will come.

Just now, El Gordo said:

According to b.b.r. OPACY i not a hitter's park. If you pay them they will come.

Who is kidding who?  In the summer when it is hot, Camden Yards is a hitters park.  And most pitchers would rather pitch in  a less hitter friendly park.

Just now, wildcard said:

Who is kidding who?  In the summer when it is hot, Camden Yards is a hitters park.  And most pitchers would rather pitch in  a less hitter friendly park.

You don't think BBR takes that in account? And you have personally talked to most pitchers about this. It's Baloney. We haven't signed top pitchers because PA doesn't want to pay them.

Park Factors: (Over 100 favors batters, under 100 favors pitchers.)
    Multi-year: Batting - 98, Pitching - 98
    One-year: Batting - 93, Pitching - 93

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

You don't think BBR takes that in account? And you have personally talked to most pitchers about this. It's Baloney. We haven't signed top pitchers because PA doesn't want to pay them.

Park Factors: (Over 100 favors batters, under 100 favors pitchers.)
    Multi-year: Batting - 98, Pitching - 98
    One-year: Batting - 93, Pitching - 93

Well, PA not wanting to pay long term, expensive contracts to FA pitchersis certainly true.   But I don't know how you can watch games at Camden Yard when its hot and not say its not a hitter's park.  We have been watching balls that appear to fly outs go over the field on a pretty regular basis lately.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, PA not wanting to pay long term, expensive contracts to FA pitchersis certainly true.   But I don't know how you can watch games at Camden Yard when its hot and not say its not a hitter's park.  We have been watching balls that appear to fly outs go over the field on a pretty regular basis lately.

OPACY is homer-friendly but not necessarily run-friendly.    As of today, we've played 64 games at home, 63 on the road.    We've hit 26 more homers at home and scored 30 more runs there, while our pitchers have allowed 11 more homers but 36 fewer runs at home.   So net, OPACY is +37 in homers but -6 in runs.  Last year, our hitters hit 9 more homers and scored 8 more runs at home, and O's pitchers allowed 7 fewer homers and 43 fewer runs at home, for a net of +2 homers and -35 runs at home vs. on the road.    

We probably have a top 5 group of position players.  Above average bullpen.  Worst or near worst rotation.  

Our 2018 outlook involves paying Trumbo and Davis a combined 40ish million.  No extensions for Manny or Schoop.  With a possible rotation of Bundy, Gausman, Castro, Wright, Aquino.  

Talk about needing some resource allocation.  Ideally we could get out from under Castillo, Trumbo and O'day's contracts and put that money into FA SP.  

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We probably have a top 5 group of position players.  Above average bullpen.  Worst or near worst rotation.  

Our 2018 outlook involves paying Trumbo and Davis a combined 40ish million.  No extensions for Manny or Schoop.  With a possible rotation of Bundy, Gausman, Castro, Wright, Aquino.  

Talk about needing some resource allocation.  Ideally we could get out from under Castillo, Trumbo and O'day's contracts and put that money into FA SP.  

If we don't pick up options the 2018 payroll including arbitration would come to about 106 M. That should leave sufficient wiggle room for some FA SP.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

OPACY is homer-friendly but not necessarily run-friendly.    As of today, we've played 64 games at home, 63 on the road.    We've hit 26 more homers at home and scored 30 more runs there, while our pitchers have allowed 11 more homers but 36 fewer runs at home.   So net, OPACY is +37 in homers but -6 in runs.  Last year, our hitters hit 9 more homers and scored 8 more runs at home, and O's pitchers allowed 7 fewer homers and 43 fewer runs at home, for a net of +2 homers and -35 runs at home vs. on the road.    

Very confusing.  37 homers more than what?  More than last year? More than the opposition?  What the heck are you telling us.

Just now, wildcard said:

Very confusing.  37 homers more than what?  More than last year? More than the opposition?  What the heck are you telling us.

Not confusing at all Our pitchers allow fewer runs at home, forget the HR in July and August

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Adding what our hitters and pitchers did, there have been 37 more homers hit at Camden Yards than on the road, but 6 fewer runs have been scored at Camden Yards than on the road.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Adding what our hitters and pitchers did, there have been 37 more homers hit at Camden Yards than on the road, but 6 fewer runs have been scored at Camden Yards than on the road.    

I am not sure what this means.  Its a well documented fact the the O's are not a good road team.   What does this say about Camden Yard vs other ball park.

It appears you are comparing how the O's do home and away instead on comparing Camden Yards to other ball parks.

Whether Camden Yard is a hitters park is a question of whether there are more runs scored there than other ball park IMO.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I am not sure what this means.  Its a well documented fact the the O's are not a good road team.   So to say they score more runs at home than away is a given.  Their record shows that clearly.   I also don't know what that says about Camden Yards vs other ball parks.

It says that while OPACY increases home runs it decreases other types of offense.  For instance OPACY is a terrible park for hitting triples.

Archived