Schoop and Mancini

MijiT88

Is it just me or does it bother anyone else that you don't hear these two guys names mentioned in MVP or ROY  races at all. Sure there's Jose Altuve and Aaron Judge but both of these guys are right there with them IMO.

here is some league ranking comps I was looking at tonight

AVG    Hits     HR      RBI     Runs

Schoop   5th      5th    10th     2nd      8th

Altuve      1st      1st    36th     29th     3rd 

Defense - they are both solid but I think Schoop has the edge here

Mancini    1st       4th     3rd      3rd       5th

Judge        5th      3rd     1st       1st      1st

with judge's second half slide he could fall in a few categories as well...

Everyone else's thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, I get what you're saying and the case can certainly be made.  But I personally don't care that much about these arbitrary awards awarded by the baseball writers.  We know that we have two amazing and exciting baseball players who are helping us win games here and that's what matters most to me.

13 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Judge will still squeak in with ROY and MVP Im pretty sure. East coast media loves the kid even for his failings.

Schoop is rightly a dark horse because other players frankly get more media coverage, are more veteran names like Nelson Cruz, for instance.Judge plays in the media capital of the world and MLB loves to support and promote American players with multi cultural backgrounds. Judge is their man.

He could also get hot again.

Mancini is a fabulous young player who will get better..he reminds me of a young Curt Blefary in 1965 (ROY0 but he seems more disciplined and a better all around athlete with a ton of smarts..He could end up being a mainstay player in the AL for years to come if he stays healthy..But he is not the ROY this year.Aaron Judge will be,

Judge probably still wins ROY, but barring a red hot September, there is no way he wins MVP at this point.  He's been awful this 2nd half.  He just got benched today by Girardi because of this.  Altuve and Trout have been considerably better.

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

iD LIKE TO SEE THEM EARN THE ATTENTION...Maybe they are going to do just that...

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely. I'm just saying that if the team had more eyes on them, their accomplishments might be noticed more.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

The Orioles have some very intriguing and exciting youngsters percolating in the minors. : Hays, Harvey, Mountcastle, Mullins,Tanner Scott, D.J. Stewart,Yaz. Lucas Long,  Akin,Santander,and some others. Im much more bullish on our system than many here..and in the media. 

We are bullish in the minors forum! Liranzo & Scott put on a nice show vs Trenton this evening.

BA finally figured out Hays is a top 40 prospect, but we've known for months.

7 hours ago, Mendoza Line said:

Judge probably still wins ROY, but barring a red hot September, there is no way he wins MVP at this point.  He's been awful this 2nd half.  He just got benched today by Girardi because of this.  Altuve and Trout have been considerably better.

Agreed.   Right now I'd vote for Altuve, but Trout is amazing and if he's hot in September and the Angels get a playoff spot I might very well vote for him even though he missed 45 games or so.

They should and will be in the voting, Mancini should be top 5, Schoop might get top 5 but who's to say.  But under no circumstances will they or do they deserve to win their awards.  Slump or not, Judge is ahead of Trey in almost every impactful stat and has played pretty much every day, and as a much as I love Schoop, he's not even close to the best second baseman in the league.  Altuve should win the award, Trout being in the mix after and who probably would've been front runner had he not gotten hurt. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.   Right now I'd vote for Altuve, but Trout is amazing and if he's hot in September and the Angels get a playoff spot I might very well vote for him even though he missed 45 games or so.

He's only .5 WAR off the lead even with missing 45 games.

I'd also put Simmons ahead of Schoop, he's quietly having a monster season.

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Judge will still squeak in with ROY and MVP Im pretty sure. East coast media loves the kid even for his failings.

Schoop is rightly a dark horse because other players frankly get more media coverage, are more veteran names like Nelson Cruz, for instance.Judge plays in the media capital of the world and MLB loves to support and promote American players with multi cultural backgrounds. Judge is their man.

He could also get hot again.

Mancini is a fabulous young player who will get better..he reminds me of a young Curt Blefary in 1965 (ROY0 but he seems more disciplined and a better all around athlete with a ton of smarts..He could end up being a mainstay player in the AL for years to come if he stays healthy..But he is not the ROY this year.Aaron Judge will be,

A Yankee hasn't won the MVP award since 2007, and it's not like there haven't been reputable candidates for the award during that time period.  The list of winners has included two guys from Detroit, one from Texas, Toronto, and Minnesota.  Voters may get it wrong, but they also know how to get it right some years too.  Altuve may not play in a major market like New York, not that Houston is some backwoods small market, but the Astros are the best team in the league and he's one of the biggest reasons why.  Chances are quite good he will win.

2 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

A Yankee hasn't won the MVP award since 2007, and it's not like there haven't been reputable candidates for the award during that time period.  The list of winners has included two guys from Detroit, one from Texas, Toronto, and Minnesota.  Voters may get it wrong, but they also know how to get it right some years too.  Altuve may not play in a major market like New York, not that Houston is some backwoods small market, but the Astros are the best team in the league and he's one of the biggest reasons why.  Chances are quite good he will win.

I think that when players are as dominant as Trout (Bonds comes to mind) that the voters looks for a reason to vote for somebody else.

This year they are probably going to give it to Altuve.

MVP? Trey Mancini? The guy who is 53rd in the AL in fWAR and 49th in rWAR? As for ROY, while Judge has been struggling his body of work this season is on another planet from Mancini.

Schoop should be "in the conversation" for MVP. The same way Jose Ramirez and Justin Upton are "in the conversation". We recognize they had a pretty great year, while also realizing they aren't really in consideration because other guys have been much better.

9 hours ago, MijiT88 said:

Is it just me or does it bother anyone else that you don't hear these two guys names mentioned in MVP or ROY  races at all. Sure there's Jose Altuve and Aaron Judge but both of these guys are right there with them IMO.

here is some league ranking comps I was looking at tonight

Schoop   5th      5th    10th     2nd      8th

Altuve      1st      1st    36th     29th     3rd 

Defense - they are both solid but I think Schoop has the edge here

Mancini    1st       4th     3rd      3rd       5th

Judge        5th      3rd     1st       1st      1st

with judge's second half slide he could fall in a few categories as well...

Everyone else's thoughts?

Yes, they are right there if you want to completely leave off the very important statistical categories that separate them.

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

MVP? Trey Mancini? The guy who is 53rd in the AL in fWAR and 49th in rWAR? As for ROY, while Judge has been struggling his body of work this season is on another planet from Mancini.

Schoop should be "in the conversation" for MVP. The same way Jose Ramirez and Justin Upton are "in the conversation". We recognize they had a pretty great year, while also realizing they aren't really in consideration because other guys have been much better.

I don't think they meant Mancini for MVP.  I think it was just clumsily worded.

Archived