So what's the rotation next year?

interloper

Assuming Miley, Ubaldo, Hellickson, and Tillman are gone:

1. Dylan Bundy

2. Kevin Gausman

3. ?

4. ?

5. ?

I would have slotted Castro in at #3 there, but he's been struggling of late and I'm not sure you can just plug him right in. He's an option though, if they stretch him out.

Asher has a year of control left, so he's an option. Ynoa is under control for awhile, he's an option. Both are young guys who could improve, or they're just scrubs. 

Mike Wright is bad, but for some reason perpetually an option. Wilson is still in the system, and is also bad. 

Chris Lee is kicking around.

Tanner Scott, doubtful. 

---

If I were the Orioles, I'd use all this extra salary space to sign an actual, honest-to-god GOOD starting pitcher and fill the remaining two slots with guys currently in the system or a couple budget pickups.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd try to pick up two pitchers from outside and let the internal candidates compete for the other slot.   

I've gone back and forth a little bit on whether to exercise Miley's option, but on balance, I wouldn't do it.

I still believe Miley could be retained at a cheaper rate.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Same is true for all the guys who are coming off the books, really. None of them have much ground to stand on as far as asking price. Miley is the best of the bunch, but the guy leads the league in walks and I just can't get down with that. 

13 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

If they are still going to keep running Gausman out there, they might as well keep Miley in the rotation. On a comparative basis, Gausman would not have to feel so bad about his pitching compared to Miley's.

Based on experience, the great Duquette will overpay for some mediocre pitcher, and the other two spots would be filled on an everchanging basis.

I would think the O's rotation will be bad again next year and they'll just keep trying to outscore teams by hitting homers.

Bundy, Gausman and Miley combined have a 4.69 ERA. 85 starts team is 46-39. 

The other starters combined have an ERA of 7.10!!!!

Club is 11-12 with Ubaldo starting 

7-11 with Tillman

The other starters including Hellickson they are 7-11.

49 starts by pitchers with a starting ERA of 6.54 and higher!!!

We can afford one Miley type but sad thing is 3 of him would be an improvement.  

58 minutes ago, interloper said:

Same is true for all the guys who are coming off the books, really. None of them have much ground to stand on as far as asking price. Miley is the best of the bunch, but the guy leads the league in walks and I just can't get down with that. 

It's the oddest thing.    He never walked a lot of guys before this year.   I don't know if his command got worse, or he just developed a bad case of nibble-itis.    Either way, to me it signals a pitcher in decline.    

3 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

Exercising Miley's option would be spending money poorly.

Bringing him back on a cheaper deal would be spending less money poorly.

Yes, but the Orioles have experience in spending poorly.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Bundy, Gausman and Miley combined have a 4.69 ERA. 85 starts team is 46-39. 

The other starters combined have an ERA of 7.10!!!!

Club is 11-12 with Ubaldo starting 

7-11 with Tillman

The other starters including Hellickson they are 7-11.

49 starts by pitchers with a starting ERA of 6.54 and higher!!!

We can afford one Miley type but sad thing is 3 of him would be an improvement.  

I haven't looked at Tillman or Hellickson, but four of the 11 wins by the team when Jimenez pitched are in spite of him. The offense overcame his poor pitching and the team registered a win. I'd guess, especially in Tillman's case, there's a similar pattern.

How about we stop spending money on overpaid garbage arms and sign actual quality starting pitching.

1 Lynn or Cobb

2 Garcia or Chatwood (3.41 ERA away, 6.25 at Coors)

3 Bundy

4 Gausman

5 Cashner or Dickey

In reality we'll sign said overpaid garbage arm like a Hellickson that nobody else wants and our rotation will be:

1 Bundy

2 Gausman

3 Hellickson type overpaid garbage arm

4 Castro

5 Random cheap scrub

41 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, but the Orioles have experience in spending poorly.

I haven't looked at Tillman or Hellickson, but four of the 11 wins by the team when Jimenez pitched are in spite of him. The offense overcame his poor pitching and the team registered a win. I'd guess, especially in Tillman's case, there's a similar pattern.

Yeah, Tillman has gotten away with:

5.1 IP, 6 ER

4.0 IP, 5 ER

4.0 IP, 5 ER

19 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Roy Firestone stated that an Orioles insider told him that Hunter Harvey could conceivably be pitching in the Orioles' starting rotation by June of 2018, if he gets enough innings in at AA-Bowie in April and May.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25212-updates-on-hunter-harvey/&page=18

o

I put very little credence in that opinion.     We're talking about a kid with a very live arm but who has never thrown an inning above low A, and only 144 professional innings, and has barely pitched since 2014.    

Overall, there is a tendency for people to believe that our minor leaguers can just skip a bunch of intermediate steps and go right to the majors and be effective players right away.     For me, I just want Harvey to get through 2018 with his right arm intact, and if he finishes the year at Bowie having thrown 80-100 effective innings I'll be more than pleased.     

Archived