Jump to content

With 17 games to play....


Frobby

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

He won't be cheap, but we have $50 million plus to play with. 

As I said elsewhere, I think Cobb will command 5/$80 mm, or a little more.     That's what Chen got.

Chen (through 2015): 46-32, 3.72 ERA (110 ERA+)

Cobb (through 2017): 47-34, 3.48 ERA (112 ERA+)

Chen (2015): 11-8, 3.34 ERA (123 ERA+)

Cobb (2017): 11-9, 3.59 ERA (116 ERA+)

The fact that the pool of top level FA pitchers is thin this year works in Cobb's favor.   Chen's year was a stronger one for FA pitching talent.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Frobby said:

As I said elsewhere, I think Cobb will command 5/$80 mm, or a little more.     That's what Chen got.

Chen (through 2015): 46-32, 3.72 ERA (110 ERA+)

Cobb (through 2017): 47-34, 3.48 ERA (112 ERA+)

Chen (2015): 11-8, 3.34 ERA (123 ERA+)

Cobb (2017): 11-9, 3.59 ERA (116 ERA+)

The fact that the pool of top level FA pitchers is thin this year works in Cobb's favor.   Chen's year was a stronger one for FA pitching talent.  

I think the market is stronger than in 2015, honestly. 

There a lot more flyer guys this year, however. But the talent that is there will command loads of $. The question is, where do they go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I said elsewhere, I think Cobb will command 5/$80 mm, or a little more.     That's what Chen got.

Chen (through 2015): 46-32, 3.72 ERA (110 ERA+)

Cobb (through 2017): 47-34, 3.48 ERA (112 ERA+)

Chen (2015): 11-8, 3.34 ERA (123 ERA+)

Cobb (2017): 11-9, 3.59 ERA (116 ERA+)

The fact that the pool of top level FA pitchers is thin this year works in Cobb's favor.   Chen's year was a stronger one for FA pitching talent.  

Chen was also healthy and pitched a lot more then Cobb has over the years.   Chen was coming off back to back 31 start seasons.  He had an average of 29 starts over his 4 years in MLB and over 30 3 of the 4 years.  He has never thrown over 27 games before this season.  Being durable is getting you extra years and money especially with so may pitching injuries today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Chen was also healthy and pitched a lot more then Cobb has over the years.   Chen was coming off back to back 31 start seasons.  He had an average of 29 starts over his 4 years in MLB and over 30 3 of the 4 years.  He has never thrown over 27 games before this season.  Being durable is getting you extra years and money especially with so may pitching injuries today.

Cobb had TJ surgery but is fully recovered now and should end the year at 180ish innings.   I'll grant you that Chen had been more durable to that point in his career (since then, not so much), but I don't think it will be that big of a factor.    I guess we'll see.   What do you think Cobb will get?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I said elsewhere, I think Cobb will command 5/$80 mm, or a little more.     That's what Chen got.

Chen (through 2015): 46-32, 3.72 ERA (110 ERA+)

Cobb (through 2017): 47-34, 3.48 ERA (112 ERA+)

Chen (2015): 11-8, 3.34 ERA (123 ERA+)

Cobb (2017): 11-9, 3.59 ERA (116 ERA+)

The fact that the pool of top level FA pitchers is thin this year works in Cobb's favor.   Chen's year was a stronger one for FA pitching talent.  

Frobby showing why he gets paid the "big Bucks"!  ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Cobb had TJ surgery but is fully recovered now and should end the year at 180ish innings.   I'll grant you that Chen had been more durable to that point in his career (since then, not so much), but I don't think it will be that big of a factor.    I guess we'll see.   What do you think Cobb will get?

I don't know but I think Cobb would be a good pitcher to get for the O's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

The team has been much more homer-prone:

Starters: 142 vs. 126 all last year

Relievers: 73 vs. 57 all last year

They have not exceeded last year's walk totals yet, but will pretty soon.   

There's no doubt the pitching has struggled.

It's also worth noting that MLB is going to have its best year, ever, for homers. Which boggles my mind, given how much people deride the steroid era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

There's no doubt the pitching has struggled.

It's also worth noting that MLB is going to have its best year, ever, for homers. Which boggles my mind, given how much people deride the steroid era.

Juiced ball. Change the physics and you don't need as much force to make a long fly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cobb had TJ surgery but is fully recovered now and should end the year at 180ish innings.   I'll grant you that Chen had been more durable to that point in his career (since then, not so much), but I don't think it will be that big of a factor.    I guess we'll see.   What do you think Cobb will get?

4 years 52 million-60million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

But back to the pitchers...I think Cobb is an interesting target. And the Orioles will have the money to go after pitching in the offseason. 

But what's the point of signing pitchers if we don't extend Manny? Go for it in '18, then let Manny walk? That would destroy the organization for years to come. Unfortunately that is where I think this is headed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Posts

    • Yankees fans-“Jeter, hands down the greatest shortstop eva”. Probably would have actually been in the running for the top 2B if they put him there. That is how I feel about Holliday. No chance you put Gunnar there. Gunnar maybe 3B with size and range.  As Os fans, we have been pretty lucky with the SS and 3B we have had. Can’t say many clubs have enjoyed the talent, consistently, that we have seen. 
    • Wow finally found Kenny Weimans only fan
    • I'm on the same page. Platooning is great if you're poor, like the Rays. They pull it off well because of their analytics, development, and some minor league depth. But they do it because they are a small market, low budget team.  Players get platooned because they obviously have more pronounced flaws from one side of the plate. But the goal of any team should be to have as many star players at as many positions as possible in order to win a World Series. Star players - or any valuable player - aren't going to get platooned. The Braves and Dodgers are examples of having star players at almost every position, and the Orioles have the talent to be on the Braves/Dodgers side of the platooning spectrum this season. On the opposite side of the Rays. Hyde and Elias really irked me last season because they loved platooning mediocre vets like Frazier, Mateo, Hicks, and O'Hearn (yes, Hicks and O'Hearn produced for stretches, but I believe those were merely lucky/hot small sample sizes) when they had several talented prospects at their disposal who not only may have outproduced those vets in the short-term, but could have also gained some valuable experience to establish themselves as non-platooning stars/valuable players in the medium-to-long-term. I'm sure someone will point out that the team won 101 games last season as a reason for why Hyde and Elias platooning was successful. But to me, maximizing your talent is always the most efficient approach to winning games, and Hyde and Elias didn't do that as well as they could have last season (and in 2022 as well, when Jordan Westburg could have helped the Orioles make more of a push to the playoffs by replacing Rougned Odor).
    • Has a #1 been traded, beside Moncada? Who is the 2024 Chris Sale?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...