Buck's TTTP Obsession.

Can_of_corn

Here we go again!

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/09/orioles-young-pitchers-lectured-this-morning.html

I said, ‘You’re not going to survive up here if you’re that slow to the plate. You’re not going to,’

And on and on and all.

And he told the Pudge story again.

I don't know Buck, I'd rather they work on commanding their pitches.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

Cleveland, which has the lowest ERA in the league, has allowed the fewest stolen bases and has the highest CS%.    So it's not like stopping the running game can't be consistent with pitching well.

Sure, but priorities.

No one is saying that limiting the running game is without value.

But do you really want young pitchers worrying about that at the expense of things commanding pitches?

Tillman's great at controlling the running game.  Might be the best right handed pitcher in baseball at it.

How's that working out for him this year?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but priorities.

No one is saying that limiting the running game is without value.

But do you really want young pitchers worrying about that at the expense of things commanding pitches?

Tillman's great at controlling the running game.  Might be the best right handed pitcher in baseball at it.

How's that working out for him this year?

It worked out fine for him before.    It's got no connection to his current problems.    Obviously, holding runners isn't as important as preventing runners from getting on in the first place -- nobody disputes that.     But I don't think it's necessarily correct that getting pitchers to be in the habit of good times to the plate hurts their ability to work on the hit prevention part.   It could, but I don't know of any evidence of a connection.   

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But do you really want young pitchers worrying about that at the expense of things commanding pitches.

Any evidence that ttp obsession really causes a problem? Negative correlation between ttp with performance of our young pitchers? Otherwise It's clear that Buck isn't the only person obsessed with TTP :D.

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Any evidence that ttp obsession really causes a problem? Negative correlation between ttp with performance of our young pitchers? Otherwise It's clear that Buck isn't the only person obsessed with TTP :D.

Well Matusz was an effective ML pitcher before they messed with his delivery.

Kinda hard to prove that it is a problem.

My main issue is that Buck seemingly priorities a good TTTP over things like command your pitches.

Have you ever heard of a pitcher that couldn't hack it in the majors because he was too slow to the plate?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well Matusz was an effective ML pitcher before they messed with his delivery.

Kinda hard to prove that it is a problem.

My main issue is that Buck seemingly priorities a good TTTP over things like command your pitches.

Have you ever heard of a pitcher that couldn't hack it in the majors because he was too slow to the plate?

I was totally just giving you grief (although relevant data might be available?). I find Buck's harping about it pretty weird. How much it irritates you is quite fun. 

:)

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I was totally just giving you grief (although relevant data might be available?). I find Buck's harping about it pretty weird. How much it irritates you is quite fun. 

:)

Buck is soo close.  He needs to worry more about TTTOP and less about TTTP.

Just one letter off!

You are being too harsh.  This quote at the end shows they are making sure to look at things collectively. 

“Actually, it’s funny, but Yacabonis’ delivery and strike percentage are better when he’s shorter to the plate. I made that point to him today. He’s got a good enough arm to pitch here.”

We aren’t destroying pitchers because of preaching TTTP

15 minutes ago, baltfan said:

You are being too harsh.  This quote at the end shows they are making sure to look at things collectively. 

“Actually, it’s funny, but Yacabonis’ delivery and strike percentage are better when he’s shorter to the plate. I made that point to him today. He’s got a good enough arm to pitch here.”

We aren’t destroying pitchers because of preaching TTTP

When you have guys that can't get hitters out I'd rather they concentrate on improving that aspect of their game.

7 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Find a catcher with a cannon and let the pitchers worry about handling the batters. Despite Arrieta's very slow time to plate and Lester's inability to throw to 1st, teams don't run all over either of them thanks to Contreras.

Teams don't run enough for this to be a big concern.  Yes someone like Trea Turner will occasionally embarrass a pitcher, but it's rare.  Right now there are six players with 30 or more steals.

Archived