Trade Zack Britton?

Going Underground

Trade Zack Britton?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should Zack Britton have been traded?

• Winter of 2017
    • 2017 Trade deadline
    • No,not enough return

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread should have been called should we have drafted Mike Trout when available.  It would have just as much relevance.

But the short answer is of course, based on what we know after the fact...is over the winter last year you probably could have gotten good value.  As soon as he showed signs of disrepair, he was not bringing back the value we wanted this year.  At this point we have to hope he gets healthy and they can revisit.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

This thread should have been called should we have drafted Mike Trout when available.  It would have just as much relevance.

But the short answer is of course, based on what we know after the fact...is over the winter last year you probably could have gotten good value.  As soon as he showed signs of disrepair, he was not bringing back the value we wanted this year.  At this point we have to hope he gets healthy and they can revisit.

I don't recall anyone clamoring to pick Trout during the draft thread that year.

Folks did advocate trading Britton last offseason.

So I'm not really sure how apt your comparison is.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall anyone clamoring to pick Trout during the draft thread that year.

A poll based on events that cant be changed.  Or as someone else said above, its crying over spilt milk.  I would have traded him for a haul last winter or at the break.  There is a question as to what he could have returned.  For example, I would have traded him for two top 100 prospects.  But I don't think anything close to that was offered.  And the poll doesn't allow for that difference.

And to be more specific, there is no one I wouldn't trade for the right deal.  But to poll based on trade or no trade without any consideration of what you are trading is really asking for confirmation that we shoulda done something before he was hurt.

Well, duh.

The larger question is not whether a trade of Zach, or this guy or that guy is going to make a difference, but whether or not this organization realizes that the window on this 5 year run group is closed and the problem is more than just a few cheap fixes are going to correct and that they must get a new GM and commit to a true rebuild.   They won't because of Dan and Buck being in the last year of their deals and thus, unfortunately, we are likely going to spend another number of seasons back down amongst the have-nots either in the basement or as non contenders before a future owner is likely forced to do what they should have started doing last offseason.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was in favor of at least seeing what other teams would offer up for Britton.  O's can develop relievers, they find a new guy every year who is effective in the bullpen.  

Most relievers are elite for a few years, but very few have Mariano Rivera like careers.  Or they get hurt like Zach did this year.  

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Gotta non-tender him at this point.  Maybe bring him back cheaper. 

I'm gonna say "I told you so" on this one (not you specifically AVD just in general).  Just feel like being petty.

I don't think he can be moved.  So, non-tender.  And a tremendous opportunity wasted.

The Yankees did the right thing.  And, perhaps, the wrong thing by resigning Chapman later.  But anyway, they were smarter.

Archived