I Cannot Believe The Way This Team Has Folded.

ORIOLE33

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I missed the comment about whatever Manny has others having.  Makes some sense. 

I did find Buck's comments about the bug the guys have interesting in contrast to how he bad-mouthed the Red Sox manager for mentioning their guys have flu (not sure if it was early season or mid-season), but my Sox friends never let me forget it. The Boston fans I know really seem to dislike Buck. Buck doesn't listen to me, but I would probably not comment publicly on clubhouse flu or whatever after trashing Boston's skipper for commenting on his team's overall health and having several guys not 100% due to it. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wonder if there is anything to Trumbo objecting to being pied matching up to when the team nosedived.  If there is, it is just reason #100 to get rid of Trumbo.

This has to be the most far fetched theory I've heard.    First of all, unless I wasn't watching carefully enough, it wasn't that big a deal at the time.     Trumbo hit a walk-off hit, got pied after the game during his interview,, and seemed a bit annoyed by it when the interview continued.    But it's not like he threw a major tantrum about it.    "Mild annoyance" is how I'd describe it.   Did I miss something?

Second, the idea that a team would go into a tailspin over something like that is very far fetched to me.   They've been losing because their bats got cold against some very good teams.    Period.

27 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

If we win out, anyone think we have a chance to get in? Looking at the schedule for all other teams, it still might not be enough.

No. It's been over for a while. They also are not going to come close to winning out. Too many bad starters and a mediocre offense.

32 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

If we win out, anyone think we have a chance to get in? Looking at the schedule for all other teams, it still might not be enough.

Win out?  Now that's funny stuff.  With 8 games left they would have to climb over Seattle, Tampa, KC, Texas, LA and Minnesota.  With 2 more losses and they will finish as a sub .500 team.

12 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I did find Buck's comments about the bug the guys have interesting in contrast to how he bad-mouthed the Red Sox manager for mentioning their guys have flu (not sure if it was early season or mid-season), but my Sox friends never let me forget it. The Boston fans I know really seem to dislike Buck. Buck doesn't listen to me, but I would probably not comment publicly on clubhouse flu or whatever after trashing Boston's skipper for commenting on his team's overall health and having several guys not 100% due to it. 

I'm not sure why he says some of the stuff he says. Does he dislike the media up there? I get the impression he can't stand Farrell. Something set him off. Perhaps he enjoys being a villain. 

28 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

Win out?  Now that's funny stuff.  With 8 games left they would have to climb over Seattle, Tampa, KC, Texas, LA and Minnesota.  With 2 more losses and they will finish as a sub .500 team.

I'm not too worried about how many teams they'd need to climb over.     Right now there's only one 2nd WC contender on pace to do better than 82 wins, and that's the Twins.     The O's chances of winning out are in the vicinity of 0.4%.    The chances that the Twins go 3-6 or worse are maybe 30%.     The odds of both those things happening are about 0.1%.   That's enough to worry about without worrying about the other teams.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not too worried about how many teams they'd need to climb over.     Right now there's only one 2nd WC contender on pace to do better than 82 wins, and that's the Twins.     The O's chances of winning out are in the vicinity of 0.4%.    The chances that the Twins go 3-6 or worse are maybe 30%.     The odds of both those things happening are about 0.1%.   That's enough to worry about without worrying about the other teams.

i wonder the last time the AL had only five teams with a winning record? Could happen this year.

I think you have to give the offense somewhat of a pass.  It is much more difficult to consistently hit well when you start a majority of games down 3 runs or more before by the 3rd inning.  It's easy to say that they should keep the same mindset but I have to believe it leads to pressing and trying to do too much.

This season was a failure because of regression from the marginal starters we had and the FO's failure to acquire serviceable arms. 

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wondering where the season went?  Simply look at the SP ERA's. Man, tough to win with that. 

Wonder what the record for worst ERA on a MLB SP.  I don't think it's us but the 2017 Orioles have got to be up there.

Just now, O's84 said:

Wonder what the record for worst ERA on a MLB SP.  I don't think it's us but it's the 2017 Orioles have got to be up there.

Another poster on here pointed out that Tillman has the highest ERA of a P with at least 75 IP since like 2005. 

The most frustrating thing is that the SP need was known in the offseason. They didn't tell us the news about Tillman being hurt ST, but the FO knew. To start a season with this rotation was just reckless and stupid. 

8 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Wonder what the record for worst ERA on a MLB SP.  I don't think it's us but the 2017 Orioles have got to be up there.

I'm not sure what the record is, but I suspect it may be the 1930 Phillies, who had a 6.33 starters' ERA.     More recently, the 2006 Royals' starters had a collective ERA of 5.85, a quarter-run higher than the 2017 O's to date (but there's still time!).

Archived