Right Now, I Hate Baseball.

ORIOLE33

49 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

What is hard to value is how well a team will perform when the "moment" is big.  These games in Yankee Stadium, where the fans are sounding very much like they did in the 1990s, have appeared to give young Houston a serious case of the yips.  Their lineup, which was really pretty solid up and down all year, has become very Oriole-esque in this series.  Yankee pitching has been good, but the hitters are missing a lot of hittable pitches and they seem to be more undisciplined than normal.  Last night, it looked very much to me like the way they lost Game 4 spooked Houston quite a bit.  The Yankees, on the other hand, never seem too small for the moment.  It will be interesting to see how the Astros respond in Game 6.  When Arizona suffered those horrible defeats in NY in the 2001 World Series, they returned home in Game 6 and took Pettitte and the Yankees to the woodshed.   Honestly, that is what needs to happen here.

I hope for Houston to come back and win. My heart says they will but my mind says they won't.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I hope for Houston to come back and win. My heart says they will but my mind says they won't.

Odds are probably 2-1 against the Astros coming back to win, but at least the games are in Houston, where NY hasn’t won yet and where the Astros haven’t lost a game this postseason.  

3 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

What is hard to value is how well a team will perform when the "moment" is big.  These games in Yankee Stadium, where the fans are sounding very much like they did in the 1990s, have appeared to give young Houston a serious case of the yips.  Their lineup, which was really pretty solid up and down all year, has become very Oriole-esque in this series.  Yankee pitching has been good, but the hitters are missing a lot of hittable pitches and they seem to be more undisciplined than normal.  Last night, it looked very much to me like the way they lost Game 4 spooked Houston quite a bit.  The Yankees, on the other hand, never seem too small for the moment.  It will be interesting to see how the Astros respond in Game 6.  When Arizona suffered those horrible defeats in NY in the 2001 World Series, they returned home in Game 6 and took Pettitte and the Yankees to the woodshed.   Honestly, that is what needs to happen here.

I was thinking the very same thing. Houston did seem very Oriole-esque, as you put it, at Yankee Stadium.

Good observation.

22 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(DODGERS RELIEF PITCHERS)

In the first 4 games of this League Championship Series, Dodgers relief pitchers have faced 48 batters, and have only allowed 6 baserunners. ) :o

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-report-20171018-story.html

o

o

Dodgers' Postseason Bullpen

ERA: lllllllllllllllll 0.94

IP: llllllllllllllllllll 28.67

SO: llllllllllllllllllll 32

BB: lllllllllllllllllllll

OPP. BA: llllll .125 )) (12 For 96)

Dodgers Bullpen Goes from 'The Slump' to the Sublime Just in Time

(By Bradford Doolittle)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21068177/dodgers-bullpen-goes-slump-sublime-just

o

o

In 1994, the Houston Rockets played the New York Knicks in that season's NBA Finals.

The Knicks were up 3 games to 2 when the series headed back to Houston for Game Six.

The Knicks were down by two points in the final seconds of the 4th quarter when Akeem Olajuwon blocked a John Starks 3-point shot attempt to preserve the narrow win for the Rockets, evening the series at 3 games apiece. 

The Rockets then went on to win Game 7, giving the franchise its first-ever World Championship. 

Here's to hoping to see something similar happen in the final 2 games of this year's ALCS between the Astros and the Yankees.

o

o

That leaping catch by Springer in centerfield just now, combined with the nearly doubling off of the base-runner at 1st base was ever so mildly reminiscent of Sandy Amoros' running catch, spin, and relay back to the infield to double up Gil McDougald from Game 7 of the 1955 World Series.

In that game 62 years ago, Johnny Podres was cruising along until the Yankees threatened with 2 baserunners and only 1 out prior to Amoros' great play.

In this game, Verlander was cruising along until the Yankees threatened in the 7th inning ........ and then, the leaping catch by Springer in deep centerfield.

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

In 1994, the Houston Rockets played the New York Knicks in that season's NBA Finals.

The Knicks were up 3 games to 2 when the series headed back to Houston for Game Six.

The Knicks were down by two points in the final seconds of the 4th quarter when Akeem Olajuwon blocked a John Starks 3-point shot attempt to preserve the narrow win for the Rockets, evening the series at 3 games apiece. 

The Rockets then went on to win Game 7, giving the franchise its first-ever World Championship. 

Here's to hoping to see something similar happen in the final 2 games of this year's ALCS between the Astros and the Yankees.

o

o

Akeem Abdul Verlander swats away the Yankees in Game 6. 

o

On 10/19/2017 at 2:21 PM, Frobby said:

Odds are probably 2-1 against the Astros coming back to win, but at least the games are in Houston, where NY hasn’t won yet and where the Astros haven’t lost a game this postseason.  

They won last night. Very glad they did. 

On 10/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

23 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Akeem Abdul Verlander swats away the Yankees in Game 6. 

o

o

o

A Yankees elimination from post-season is always a good thing, but the Yankees are in position to be a WS contender for the next decade.  Success is inevitable at this point.  All we can really hope for as Orioles fans is that their WS appearances and wins are limited.  

Good thing, a young uber-talented team like the Astros will be there to challenge them every step of the way.  Every bit as young and every bit as good.  

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

A Yankees elimination from post-season is always a good thing, but the Yankees are in position to be a WS contender for the next decade.  Success is inevitable at this point.  All we can really hope for as Orioles fans is that their WS appearances and wins are limited.  

Good thing, a young uber-talented team like the Astros will be there to challenge them every step of the way.  Every bit as young and every bit as good.  

I disagree. I think that you will be surprised how poorly they perform next season under their new manager while staying under the cap. 

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I am very happy for the Stros. Hope they win the WS. 

Archived