What will $40-50M get you?

Aglets

So I ran some numbers and came up with a 16 man roster based on everyone currently on the team that I'm pretty sure is coming back next year.   I very well may be omitting a few players, but I bet those players are probably of the major league minimum variety.  I added up the salaries of everyone under contract for 2018, and made educated guess for how much guys like Machado, Schoop, Gausman, etc will get in arbitration.   Admittedly I may have messed that up......but the bottom line is I have our payroll at about $117M right now for '18 based on those 16 guys.   So assuming that our payroll does not significantly increase or decrease next year (i see no reason to think otherwise) that means that we have around $40-50M to play with.   How much can that get us?    I think that could actually get us one ace type SP in theory, but we know that Angelos refuses to sign long term contracts for pitchers.  Anyway, my idea for this thread was to see if people had some thoughts for how to finish the 25 man roster for 40-50M.

Here's my 16 man roster so far:

Joseph

Davis

Schoop

Beckham

Machado

Mancini

Jones

RF  ???

Trumbo

Sisco

Santander

Bench ??

Bench ??

Gausman

Bundy

SP3

SP4

SP5

Britton

Brach

O'Day

Givens

RP5

RP6

RP7

I'd cross off one of the SP and one of the RP with Ynoa and Castro.  That's probably $1.5m for both of them?  Not sure.

RF is going to Hays.  League minimum.

That leaves two SP, two RP, two bench spots, and about $40m to spend on them.

As for pitching, we are lucky in that it is a good FA class.  We could conceivably get a guy like Duffy, Cobb, Lynn, etc. to start which would be a huge upgrade right off the bat and cost less than $20m.  Can fill the 5th spot with someone cheaper, maybe via trade or a 2nd tier FA like Miguel Gonzalez or Cashner.  Then pray that someone in the minors steps up if depth becomes an issue.

The two RP positions I'm less concerned about.  Good GMs can fill out their bullpens year-to-year for less than $10m.  I think you might be missing some obvious names here also, like Yacabonis, Blier, and Donny Hart.

As for the bench, looks like we need a IF swing man and  maybe a defensive OF type that can run.  Those guys can be had for $3-5m each.

So, I think we've got a shot at fielding a decent team with the budget.  DD might have something up his sleeve internationally or in the trade market as well.  Starting pitching is really the beginning and the end though.

2 hours ago, Slappy said:

I'd cross off one of the SP and one of the RP with Ynoa and Castro.  That's probably $1.5m for both of them?  Not sure.

RF is going to Hays.  League minimum.

That leaves two SP, two RP, two bench spots, and about $40m to spend on them.

As for pitching, we are lucky in that it is a good FA class.  We could conceivably get a guy like Duffy, Cobb, Lynn, etc. to start which would be a huge upgrade right off the bat and cost less than $20m.  Can fill the 5th spot with someone cheaper, maybe via trade or a 2nd tier FA like Miguel Gonzalez or Cashner.  Then pray that someone in the minors steps up if depth becomes an issue.

The two RP positions I'm less concerned about.  Good GMs can fill out their bullpens year-to-year for less than $10m.  I think you might be missing some obvious names here also, like Yacabonis, Blier, and Donny Hart.

As for the bench, looks like we need a IF swing man and  maybe a defensive OF type that can run.  Those guys can be had for $3-5m each.

So, I think we've got a shot at fielding a decent team with the budget.  DD might have something up his sleeve internationally or in the trade market as well.  Starting pitching is really the beginning and the end though.

Castro  will get the 545k minimum.   Ynoa will also with he makes the team.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Two 25 million dollar pitchers. The rest fill with AAAA fodder.

This is what I'd do. Invest all the available money in two good starting pitchers. If Angelos is willing to spend 20+ million on two pitchers I go get Darvish and Cobb. The staff gets a major upgrade. Hays can play RF, Bieir, Castro, and Mike Wright fill out the pen. Open competition for the 5th starter spot among aquino, Ynoa, and minor league signings. Find a utility infielder and Fourth outfielder. 

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Two 25 million dollar pitchers. The rest fill with AAAA fodder.

The Orioles aren't the only ones with tons of money to spend nor SP needs. If they landed even just 1 of Arrieta/Darvish/Lynn/Cobb I'd consider that a huge success, two just isn't going to happen.

2 free agent starters.

Ynoa and Castro, along with Yacabonis and Hart. Maybe Tillman on a cheap "you have 3 starts to show us 2017 was a fluke" deal.

Hays in right, Gentry on a cheap re-sign for baserunning, Wilkerson for super utility. If Gentry goes elsewhere, you can get cheap with Little Yaz. Not a Bourn or Gentry speedster, but can be a defensive replacement and possibly a better bat.

I expect them to stay all in house on the position players except maybe the middle infielder..  Hays will get every chance to show he can play and be a starter in right field next year.  They will have some combination of Santander, Rickard, and a gentry type player for the other outfield bench.  Both Gentry and Rickard hit .271 and .279 vs lefties last year so can be used if needed in that role.  I think they may go out and get a switch hitting utility guy though for around 2 million.  The pen will be all in house guys maybe a flier on a guy for cheap from the left side.  They will use the 45 million on starters.

Archived