Rooting for the Nats because it probably pisses off Angelos

interloper

I don't like the Nats. But I hope they win the World Series and Angelos gets to take a good long look at what a real pitching staff is.

Not that it would change the way he operates or anything, and the Nats are plenty dysfunctional themselves. But, hey, I'm in favor of anything that could potentially motivate the Orioles to actually have a non-Orioles offseason.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Nats better than the Cubs, Dodgers or Yankees.    If they played the Astros I'd have to think about it.    Living here in the D.C. suburbs, I have many good friends who are Nats fans and I'd like them to be happy, so long as they don't rub it in my face.     

7 hours ago, interloper said:

I don't like the Nats. But I hope they win the World Series and Angelos gets to take a good long look at what a real pitching staff is.

Not that it would change the way he operates or anything, and the Nats are plenty dysfunctional themselves. But, hey, I'm in favor of anything that could potentially motivate the Orioles to actually have a non-Orioles offseason.

Sorrry but I am cheering for the Astros. Now if it's the Yankees i hope the Nats beat the living crap out of them. 

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I still believe it's the Dodgers' year but I would be happy for the Nats and Wieters if they won it all. It would be nice too to see Dusty Baker silence his many critics.

They have reason to be critical.

And winning a ring wouldn't magically make him a good manager anyway.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

They have reason to be critical.

And winning a ring wouldn't magically make him a good manager anyway.

He may not be the greatest tactician the world has ever seen, but I consider him to be a very good manager.     You don't manage 3500 big league games unless you have something going for you.   

Just now, Frobby said:

He may not be the greatest tactician the world has ever seen, but I consider him to be a very good manager.     You don't manage 3500 big league games unless you have something going for you.   

So you think he's a good manager because he's managed a lot of games?

OK.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK.

You act like that's a silly reason.   Teams don't keep hiring you for that long if you're not pretty good at the job.    

Beyond that, I've seen Baker take over a Nats' clubhouse that was in disarray and had all kinds of internecine conflict, and there hasn't been a single whiff of that since he took over.     He's a good communicator and his players back him.    The team has played up to its talent level under his direction.    So yeah, I think he's a good manager.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You act like that's a silly reason.   Teams don't keep hiring you for that long if you're not pretty good at the job.    

Beyond that, I've seen Baker take over a Nats' clubhouse that was in disarray and had all kinds of internecine conflict, and there hasn't been a single whiff of that since he took over.     He's a good communicator and his players back him.    The team has played up to its talent level under his direction.    So yeah, I think he's a good manager.   

I think the old boy network and retread mangers are part of the cloth of MLB.

I also think that if the team is looking for an "established MLB manager" who is also a minority that Dusty is the first name on a very short list.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK.

But if he has managed 3500 games he must have something going for him I would think. As for Buck I think he is a good manager but just not for the Orioles. 

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the old boy network and retread mangers are part of the cloth of MLB.

I also think that if the team is looking for an "established MLB manager" who is also a minority that Dusty is the first name on a very short list.

There are 14 managers who have managed more games than Dusty. 11 are in the Hall of Fame.   One is still active (Bochy).     The other two are Gene Mauch and Lou Piniella.   Dusty's actually won more game than Bochy or Piniella. I'm sticking with my assessment that he's pretty good at his job, though I'm not sure Mauch was.

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Agree. Nats winning it all is good for the Orioles. 

It's hard for me to see how a Nats World Series title would help the Orioles. The Orioles and Nats compete for fans, their loyalties and their dollars. A Nats title would increase their inherent advantage in ticket sales and attendance revenues, to the detriment of the Orioles, at least in part. And the Nats and MLB are trying to cheat the Orioles out of much of the value they were to have received under the MASN contract.

The suggestion that a Nats title would piss off the Orioles owner, sounds nice, but if that happened it might lead him to focus even more on trying to win it all next year, to the detriment of the team's future. 

If it's Nats-NYYs, I'll be catching up on some football and music.

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

It's hard for me to see how a Nats World Series title would help the Orioles. The Orioles and Nats compete for fans, their loyalties and their dollars. A Nats title would increase their inherent advantage in ticket sales and attendance revenues, to the detriment of the Orioles, at least in part. And the Nats and MLB are trying to cheat the Orioles out of much of the value they were to have received under the MASN contract.

The suggestion that a Nats title would piss off the Orioles owner, sounds nice, but if that happened it might lead him to focus even more on trying to win it all next year, to the detriment of the team's future. 

Rather that than the constant quest to merely "be competitive". 

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

The suggestion that a Nats title would *** off the Orioles owner, sounds nice, but if that happened it might lead him to focus even more on trying to win it all next year, to the detriment of the team's future. 

What else do you see them doing. They kept Britton when logic said he should be traded last offseason. Its a little late to start selling. 

Archived