Wilkerson can help as the Utility Infielder

Roll Tide

On 11/4/2017 at 9:23 AM, weams said:

The last thing I am concerned about is who the Orioles will use as a UT Infielder. Pitchers, Pitchers, More Pitchers. All shapes and sizes. Come apply. 

True, but every season since Ryan has been with the team, we spend too much time over the UT infielder spot on the roster.

Those that havent watch Buck enough, have trouble understanding, he will put a defensive guy at that first spot on the bench, before he puts a bat there.

right or wrong doesn't much matter what we think, its how Buck rolls.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2017 at 7:23 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think some people are selling Wilkerson a bit...Short. B|

He can play 3rd. He was the primary 3rd baseman at Bowie and doing quite well until the brass decided "hey, let's talk noodle arm from Frederick and stick him there!"

He can play 3rd, 2nd, and the corner outfield spots. Shortstop is his weakness because he hasn't played there, but nothing says he hasn't been practicing there. He could also practice a lot this off season and during the Spring, with the Major League coaches.

If worst came to worst, he can play 3rd or 2nd and slide Machado or Schoop over if needbe for an inning.

Years ago the O's had to move the guy they expected to be their star second-baseman of the future to third base because of an arm injury that almost ended his career in the minor leagues. To compensate for his week arm, he played shallower at third base than other third basemen. Stationing himself just behind the bag and living on reflexes and a quick release, he won 16 consecutive gold gloves at third.

I doubt that Ryan Mountcastle will ever be confused with Brooks Robinson, but let's see how his career plays out a little before we start throwing stones at his perceived shortcomings.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Years ago the O's had to move the guy they expected to be their star second-baseman of the future to third base because of an arm injury that almost ended his career in the minor leagues. To compensate for his week arm, he played shallower at third base than other third basemen. Stationing himself just behind the bag and living on reflexes and a quick release, he won 16 consecutive gold gloves at third.

I doubt that Ryan Mountcastle will ever be confused with Brooks Robinson, but let's see how his career plays out a little before we start throwing stones at his perceived shortcomings.

I do not think Brooks’ move to 3B related to his arm injury.     He was principally a 3B as early as 1956 in the minors.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do not think Brooks’ move to 3B related to his arm injury.     He was principally a 3B as early as 1956 in the minors.   

You are correct, my memory isn't what it was. But the important part is accurate. He had a weak arm and played shallow at 3B.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

You are correct, my memory isn't what it was. But the important part is accurate. He had a weak arm and played shallow at 3B.

To be honest, I never thought Brooks had a weak arm, though he certainly was no Machado out there.    In my memory, his arm was at least average.    But, that’s subjective.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, I never thought Brooks had a weak arm, though he certainly was no Machado out there.    In my memory, his arm was at least average.    But, that’s subjective.

It's just something I read in an article in the '70s. It pointed out that he didn't have a strong arm, so he played close to compensate. Maybe it's all hogwash, but that's what it said.

16 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's just something I read in an article in the '70s. It pointed out that he didn't have a strong arm, so he played close to compensate. Maybe it's all hogwash, but that's what it said.

You don't move a weak arm from 2B to 3B.  Weak-armed infielders play 2B, not 3B.  Brooks had amazing reflexes, but his range wasn't sufficient to be a major league middle infielder.  The move to 3B was logical.

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I won't say Brook's arm was weak but it was nowhere near the arm strength of guys like Machado and Schoop.   I would say it was average and maybe even a little below for a 3B.    This, based off of memory, from very late 60's and early 70's.    Aurelio Rodriguez was the 3B with a gun back then.    Announcers would mention Brook's quick release as if he had to compensate for lack of arm strength that other 3B possessed.

Of course they mentioned his quick release.  That is because he had a quick release.  The "as if" portion of your sentence would appear to be an inference on your part, as I certainly never heard any announcer say that in the 50's, 60's, or 70's.  If you do have such a quote, please supply it.  Thank you.  To say Brooks had a below average arm seems to fly in the face of a tremendous amount of evidence to the contrary.  Please view any film you like of Brooks Robinson playing third base.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:02 PM, Frobby said:

Brooks always said he played in to compensate for his arm. It wasn't Mike Schmidt's, Ken Boyer's or Greg Nettles' arm.

On 11/6/2017 at 2:08 PM, NCRaven said:

Mountcastle has so much more potential than Wilkerson, it's ridiculous.  I get that his arm may not be as strong, but an effort to find a position for an impact major league quality bat is so much more important than finding playing time for an over-aged, non-prospect that it's not even worth bringing it up.  

Mountcastle will play a major league career. He may also play a few years in the infield. 

Brooks got rid of the ball almost instantly and his accuracy was phenomenal...Boog really had nowhere near the number of scoops and shorthops that Davis has to deal with.  And Brooks literally invented the bare hand pick up and throw of the swinging bunt for the out. 

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Brooks got rid of the ball almost instantly and his accuracy was phenomenal...Boog really had nowhere near the number of scoops and shorthops that Davis has to deal with.  And Brooks literally invented the bare hand pick up and throw of the swinging bunt for the out. 

True and he did these things to compensate for his arm.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Wilkerson may turn into a useful player someday, maybe even this year.    Melewski is predicting that the O's protect him tonight.    Keep this on mind though.  Wilkerson payed half a season at Bowie and put up a .775 OPS at age 25.    When the Orioles drafted Ryan Flaherty he was coming off a half season at AA where he put up a .907 OPS at age 24.      If they have the room I guess there's no harm.    We'll see.

I think he is the back up plan. They will wait and see how Hardy's and/or Flaherty's markets develop and if they go elsewhere, they will go with Wilkerson.

Archived