Buck interview on B More Opinionated podcast

wildcard

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We are talking opening day 2018.   Can Sisco fix his defensive problems well enough to beat out a good defensive catcher in Wynns?

His throwing deficiencies won’t be fixed overnight, but they’re not the end of the world so long as he hits as expected.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, wildcard said:

10) Buck does not believe in the window closing.  He says the window is always open.

Sure, if you actually behave that way over multiple consecutive seasons... and you're a GM.

If you're a mere manager, then you just wish for everything every season by opening day because you're not judged on your lack of belief in "windows", you're judged on your WL record every day that baseball is played.  Next year can take care of itself when you have to face the press after every game win or lose.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We are talking opening day 2018.   Can Sisco fix his defensive problems well enough to beat out a good defensive catcher in Wynns?

He’s likely to hit much better than Wynns.  If you’ve seen them both play you’ll have seen why, Sisco has significantly more bat speed and a better swing path.  Wynns’ approach is a little more polished but when Wynns was 22 he was hitting .577 OPS as one of the oldest players in short season ball and Sisco was hitting .735 OPS as one of the youngest players in AAA. Sisco also fits better as a platoon partner to Caleb Joseph being a lefty who kills RHed pitching.  

Please don't take this as a cut to Wynns because he’s improbably turned himself into someone who could be a decent backup catcher, and that’s a big deal, I bet even the O’s didn’t see that in him when he was drafted as a senior sign.

Here’s a compromise, the Orioles sell. Trade Caleb, platoon Sisco and Wynns.

58 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

He’s likely to hit much better than Wynns.  If you’ve seen them both play you’ll have seen why, Sisco has significantly more bat speed and a better swing path.  Wynns’ approach is a little more polished but when Wynns was 22 he was hitting .577 OPS as one of the oldest players in short season ball and Sisco was hitting .735 OPS as one of the youngest players in AAA. Sisco also fits better as a platoon partner to Caleb Joseph being a lefty who kills RHed pitching.  

Please don't take this as a cut to Wynns because he’s improbably turned himself into someone who could be a decent backup catcher, and that’s a big deal, I bet even the O’s didn’t see that in him when he was drafted as a senior sign.

I can't see the O's trading Joseph.   He's the one that knows the pitching staff and the opponents.

8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I doubt Caleb brings back much. He costs about what he has value. 

Pretty cynical for Buck to say the window is always open when you finish in last place.  The window for me to marry Penelope Cruz is always open for me too. 

Well, he can keep his precious coaching staff and Dan can do his thing, but if they finish last in 2018, then the whole lot needs to go. 

9 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

"That's really the only thing with him, and it's going to come along," Johnson said. "I think it's a little mental. I really do. Physically he's capable of throwing the ball. I've seen him, when he does it right, he can deliver in the mid 1.9s. He's got plenty of arm strength and he's quick . . . He's going to be fine with it."

-From his manager this year.

One scout said he think it’s average pure arm strength that plays down due to a long release.

- from an Eric Longenhagen prospect report

Can of Corn did some of the work for me.

20s worth. I will go on record right now about stating that Sisco will play 3 times more MLB games in his career at catcher than Wynns will ever. Sisco will catch for the Orioles or someone else. He's an advanced bat that can catch and be one of the 700 best baseball players in the world. 

15 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would think whoever they believe has a higher ceiling, Wynns or Cisco, goes to AAA to play everyday rather than two or three days a week, unless they can beat out Joseph for the starting job.

Wynns is better suited to be a back up. Unless Buck wants to basically give the catching job to Sisco (And I doubt that very much) Wynns is better suited to play two-three times  a week as Caleb's backup.

It seems like a question of when Sisco is ready defensively for the majors.   Not if.   There are mechanical things he can do to compensate for his arm strength.   But he may need some time to make those mechanical changes consistent.

Its good the O's have Wynns who they believe is ready to be a backup.

14 hours ago, POR said:

Based on the comments here and based on what is said in spring training, I get the impression Buck is a big Cedric Mullins fan.  Bold prediction -Mullins gets more than 300 ABs with the Orioles in 2018. 

If we trade Trumbo, I wouldn't be suprised at all if he's our starting CF or LF this next year. Honestly, I would love to see him up. 

But with the interview in regards to Buck, it's clear he knows what he's talking about. He doesn't sound like he's lost the clubhouse, and was clearly frustrated with this year. If Buck wants to stay, I'd let him. 

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wynns is better suited to be a back up. Unless Buck wants to basically give the catching job to Sisco (And I doubt that very much) Wynns is better suited to play two-three times  a week as Caleb's backup.

I think Sisco's defense isn't as putrid as people make it out to be. He can do everything at a high level defensively except throw out runners. Which in this day and age with power where speed isn't paramount, then I wouldn't mind him being the everyday catcher. 

Archived