Buck interview on B More Opinionated podcast

wildcard

Listened to it yesterday.  Definitely sounded like there was some frustration at the young arms being let go.  

I would guess that Wilkerson's addition to the 40 man is pending Buck's review of the job he does at SS during fall league.

Pretty obvious that Buck would like to add Hess (and probably Means and Long) to the 40 man roster.  He was focused on Hess because LaCanfora asked about him earlier in the interview, but the obvious point was that he believed Hess "could be a good one" and didn't want to see him go.  I'm assuming he feels the same way about guys like Means and Long.  Should be interesting to see what direction they go there.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

Listened to it yesterday.  Definitely sounded like there was some frustration at the young arms being let go.  

I would guess that Wilkerson's addition to the 40 man is pending Buck's review of the job he does at SS during fall league.

Pretty obvious that Buck would like to add Hess (and probably Means and Long) to the 40 man roster.  He was focused on Hess because LaCanfora asked about him earlier in the interview, but the obvious point was that he believed Hess "could be a good one" and didn't want to see him go.  I'm assuming he feels the same way about guys like Means and Long.  Should be interesting to see what direction they go there.

Here is a Buck quote on Long from June(from Roch's blog):

* One of the advantages of having Welington Castillo rehab at Bowie was he could provide a scouting report on pitching prospect Lucas Long, who’s 5-2 with a 1.68 ERA and 0.95 WHIP in 17 games (three starts) over 59 innings. Castillo had such high praise for Long, a 24th-round pick in 2014 out of the University of San Diego, that Baysox manager Gary Kendall made certain that Showalter heard it directly from his catcher.

“We were trying to think about whether (Castillo) was going to go down or not and I looked at who was going to be pitching,” Showalter said. “A guy with really good command. Gary was talking and he said, ‘Hey, be sure to ask Casi what he thought about Long,’ because he’s really pitching well this year. Really throwing well.

“I watched the game (on video), about four innings of it. Dual purpose, to look at Casi and Long. Good, hard sinker. Great command. Can spin the ball for a strike. Added a cutter this year. I think that’s what’s elevated him to a new level.”

If you haven't heard it, check out the Buck Showalter interview on the Be More Opinionated podcast with Jason LaCanfora and Jerry Coleman. The most interesting thing was LaCanfora complaining about Duquette's trading of young arms for short-term rentals over the years. Buck did not disagree or defend Duquette at all. 

On 11/2/2017 at 11:05 AM, phillyOs119 said:

Here is a Buck quote on Long from June(from Roch's blog):

* One of the advantages of having Welington Castillo rehab at Bowie was he could provide a scouting report on pitching prospect Lucas Long, who’s 5-2 with a 1.68 ERA and 0.95 WHIP in 17 games (three starts) over 59 innings. Castillo had such high praise for Long, a 24th-round pick in 2014 out of the University of San Diego, that Baysox manager Gary Kendall made certain that Showalter heard it directly from his catcher.

“We were trying to think about whether (Castillo) was going to go down or not and I looked at who was going to be pitching,” Showalter said. “A guy with really good command. Gary was talking and he said, ‘Hey, be sure to ask Casi what he thought about Long,’ because he’s really pitching well this year. Really throwing well.

“I watched the game (on video), about four innings of it. Dual purpose, to look at Casi and Long. Good, hard sinker. Great command. Can spin the ball for a strike. Added a cutter this year. I think that’s what’s elevated him to a new level.”

Buck praising the addition of a cutter in a prospect's arsenal is interesting given the O's history with that pitch in the minors. 

Archived