Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

There's some hate for agents and some shade thrown at overpaid free agents in this thread, but I would much rather see the players get a big chunk of the money than the owners keep it. It looks like that's what is going to happen this offseason. The players union was played and now the players are gonna pay. Maybe I should have asked for a beat before I wrote that sentence. But seriously, do you really think owners are going to invest the saved money into their organizations? 

No. I don’t think the owners will spread the savings around any more than businesses do. I believe that a small market team benefits from overall depression of the market. 

Wondering if this is another case of collusion like it was in the mid 80s, IMO one of the bigger stains on the game that gets overlooked.  I find it odd that in a time where pitching is at a premium guys like Yu Darvish and Jake Arrietta are out there.

Or maybe this really is the market, who knows.

It was only a manner of time, before the agents would start to complain:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/agent-brodie-von-wagenen-speaks-out-on-stagnant-free-agent-market.html

In perhaps the greatest show of player unrest of the entire offseason, Brodie Van Wagenen — the co-head of CAA Baseball and one of the game’s most prominent agents — issued a statement today stating that ownership behavior in the 2017-18 offseason “feels coordinated” and referencing a level of player unity against ownership that hasn’t been seen since the most recent MLB labor stoppage back in 1994:

Several teams, Passan notes — the Marlins, Orioles, Braves, Pirates and Rays — haven’t signed a single Major League free agent this offseason. While the Orioles, who are said to be looking for three starters and a right fielder, certainly figure to do so eventually, it’s a troublesome development for players that one sixth of the league has sat out the open market entirely.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/agent-brodie-von-wagenen-speaks-out-on-stagnant-free-agent-market.html

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Several teams, Passan notes — the Marlins, Orioles, Braves, Pirates and Rays — haven’t signed a single Major League free agent this offseason. While the Orioles, who are said to be looking for three starters and a right fielder, certainly figure to do so eventually, it’s a troublesome development for players that one sixth of the league has sat out the open market entirely.

I believe all those teams listed have traded somebody this past off-season. The Os havent even done that.

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wondering if this is another case of collusion like it was in the mid 80s, IMO one of the bigger stains on the game that gets overlooked.  I find it odd that in a time where pitching is at a premium guys like Yu Darvish and Jake Arrietta are out there.

Meh....Chatwood signed for more than expected. Many people said that was an overpay. Wade Davis signed a record deal for a reliever. Cain, 32, was predicted to sign for four years and signed for five.

Hosmer has multiple 7 year deals on the table, likely for teams that won’t be contenders. Is his refusal to sign his choice or collusion? There are big market teams trying to stay under the luxury tax this year and more teams know long term deals are bad investments.

I can't believe the players are feeling victimized. The salaries have gotten out of control and eventually it was going to peak. I don't understand the collective bargaining stuff enough to know whether the players union got screwed over or whatever but I do know that a baseball player, no matter how good, should never get $300m. It just doesn't make sense and more of a stain on American society than the sport overall. Still, a system built on constantly handing out "record contracts" was going to break at some point. 

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

I can't believe the players are feeling victimized. The salaries have gotten out of control and eventually it was going to peak. I don't understand the collective bargaining stuff enough to know whether the players union got screwed over or whatever but I do know that a baseball player, no matter how good, should never get $300m. It just doesn't make sense and more of a stain on American society than the sport overall. Still, a system built on constantly handing out "record contracts" was going to break at some point. 

But the thing is, revenue is up.  The players' share of the profits has been going down.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But the thing is, revenue is up.  The players' share of the profits has been going down.

My boss makes more money every year while my health insurance goes up and my pay stays stagnant ultimately making my take home pay less every year. Welcome to America.

Owners know big TV contracts are ending. Teams have been making offers to free agents they just are greedy.  When Manny gets 16 million and Britton 12 million in arbitration both after having bad years I don't know how players can complain?  If they want salaries tied to revenue than agree to a cap based on revenue with a floor.  I am sure owners would be happy with the that.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

People are cutting the cord. The owners know that the end of non baseball fans supporting the league is ending,.  Peak salaries have been reached.  Players have to get used to the new economics of sports.

7 hours ago, oriole said:

My boss makes more money every year while my health insurance goes up and my pay stays stagnant ultimately making my take home pay less every year. Welcome to America.

So you think that's a good thing? Do you belong to a union?

Archived