Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd argue that the market had changed before they signed Davis.

I don’t know about that.

Price 7/$217 mm

Greinke 6/$206.5 mm

Cueto 6/$130 mm

Zimmermann 5/$110 mm

Samardzija 5/$90 mm

Leake 5/$80 mm

Chen 5/$80 mm

That’s a pretty robust market for pitchers, compared to this year.    

2 hours ago, cimota said:

So you are saying the Cubs know he is better than people think he is?  Not sure your logic.  Anyway I don't care if Arrieta gets a 5 year or 6 year or a 7 year contract. He isn't going to be on the Orioles and most likely not in American League East so it effects me little. 

I just don't get people on here thinking Arrieta has to settle for some contract that is like 4 year 15 million a year. He will get way more than that.  He may be on the decline but his strike outs per 9 innings didn't go down and his walk rate went down.  I don't see how he gets less than 5 years 100 million.  Look what we paid for Chris Davis a guy a who hit .196 in 2014.  Someone is going to pay him big bucks and the long years.  

I'm saying the Cubs may know why he has lost velocity.. I agree he definitely wont sign with the O's. Any thing more than 4 years for him is a stupid idea, but Boras won't go for that. I don't think teams are that desperate so I think he either takes a pillow or sits out until mid season.

10 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I'm saying the Cubs may know why he has lost velocity.. I agree he definitely wont sign with the O's. Any thing more than 4 years for him is a stupid idea, but Boras won't go for that. I don't think teams are that desperate so I think he either takes a pillow or sits out until mid season.

They offered him six year contract so they surely feel better about him than you do. I think you are wrong on the Pillow contract.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know about that.

Price 7/$217 mm

Greinke 6/$206.5 mm

Cueto 6/$130 mm

Zimmermann 5/$110 mm

Samardzija 5/$90 mm

Leake 5/$80 mm

Chen 5/$80 mm

I predict he makes more than Chen and less than Price.  I would say he fits in between Cueto and Zimerman.   6 years 120 million seems to make sense based on that list.  

21 minutes ago, cimota said:

They offered him six year contract so they surely feel better about him than you do. I think you are wrong on the Pillow contract.  

That's always Boras' take. It doesn't always work out for him. Drew Morales and Weters e.g.,  and in this market I think he's in for disappointment.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

That's always Boras' take. It doesn't always work out for him. Drew Morales and Weters e.g.,  and in this market I think he's in for disappointment.

He’s already got writers like Schmuck writing in newspapers about collusion. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know about that.

Price 7/$217 mm

Greinke 6/$206.5 mm

Cueto 6/$130 mm

Zimmermann 5/$110 mm

Samardzija 5/$90 mm

Leake 5/$80 mm

Chen 5/$80 mm

That year may have been the turning point in Free agency.  Besides Greinke thos guys have been average or awful for the most part.  Add in Davis to that list and a few others and you can see why the long term deal is struggling now.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

They didn’t sign him to be a starter.

Just goes to show you how much inaccurate stuff there is out on the internet sport media world. I read he was going to be their 5th SP, which I thought was strange, because I thought they were full up, unless they are working on trading somebody for something good.

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just goes to show you how much inaccurate stuff there is out on the internet sport media world. I read he was going to be their 5th SP, which I thought was strange, because I thought they were full up, unless they are working on trading somebody for something good.

He was actually an ok reliever last year.

As far as the inaccurate stuff, my impetus to start actually writing about prospects was reading scouting reports that just seemed like the writer had never seen the player before. I thought, I might not be the best evaluator but at least I can tell people what’s actually going on, and maybe learn to evaluate as I go.

Archived