Hot Stove Event

weams

46 minutes ago, weams said:

He talked about how Jake Arrieta was a complete mess his final season with Baltimore, Overthinking everything and not even able to get AA  hitters out.  Making the exact say mistakes over and over. Scott said he told him that if he ever decided to just throw his fastball in the zone that he might have a chance. He was traded weeks later. 

Joe Maddon tends to agree:

Manager Joe Maddon sees something different behind Arrieta’s rise.

“Biggest, biggest difference is fastball command, period. He knows where his fastball’s going,” Maddon said.

https://nypost.com/2015/10/18/the-secret-pitch-that-ignited-jake-arrietas-career/

On 1/17/2018 at 11:17 AM, spiritof66 said:

Throughout the aughts, it often occurred to me that the Orioles weren't likely to return to the World Series during my lifetime, and that I'd have to be content with the memory of that day at the Vet when McGregor pitched his five-hitter, Eddie (then my favorite Oriole) slugged two HRs, Joe Morgan fell down trying to tag up from third, and Cal caught the last out. I was the guy with the Orioles jacket, sitting down the RF line among a sea of Phillie fans who seemed madder at their own team than at the Orioles.. 

The feeling that I've seen my last Orioles World Series is back. It's hard to see this team returning to the post-season, let alone getting through to the Series, for a long time.

But that was only 34-plus years ago. It's been over 57 years since I watched my hometown Eagles edge the Packers to win their most recent NFL title on the Monday after Christmas, 1960. I would have been in the front row, and able to see without standing the whole game, if they hadn't put up temporary bleachers between the track and the brick wall at Franklin Field. 

Many times over the last few decades I've wondered whether the Orioles or Eagles would make it back to the top first. The suspense is over.

Thanks again for all you've done to us, Mr. Angelos. You too, Mr. Jacobs. 

Archived