Leaving Baltimore... possible?

Todd-O

35 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Wow!  Why do you say Baltimore is in decline when it comes to public safety? Is Baltimore worse than Chicago, Houston, Dallas or any other city that has a major league franchise? Seems to me you are out just to bash Baltimore. Now it's possible the O's could move. But it has no connection to violence. Every city has that. 

Baltimore’s pretty bad right now.    The last 2-3 years have not been kind.    I’ve never felt unsafe around the ballpark area, but some don’t see it that way.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, weams said:

MASN is likely bankrupted within the next three years.

If the Nationals win against the Orioles - which I think probably happens - MASN definitely folds. The amount of money MASN would have to pay the Nationals would bankrupt them.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Baltimore’s pretty bad right now.    The last 2-3 years have not been kind.    I’ve never felt unsafe around the ballpark area, but some don’t see it that way.  

5 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It's not the ballpark area that problem, it's literally most of the city

Mondawmin Mall  is not a good place to be right now.

Im in and out of the city, 1-2 times a month, mostly daylight, and Inner Harbor downtown area, is relatively safe as any big city. You have to be aware of where you are and what you are doing. You don't put your head into your phone, with your headphone on and lose track of whats around you.

Some of the area around Hopkins Hospital is as bad as it gets, reminds of me of the older South Capital Street SE DC area, before revitalization came through.

I have never at one time felt unsafe around the ballpark, including walking and riding lightrail when I dont drive. Which I admin, I usually do.

1 minute ago, theocean said:

If the Nationals win against the Orioles - which I think probably happens - MASN definitely folds. The amount of money MASN would have to pay the Nationals would bankrupt them.

MASN would probably be split up into 2 MASNs.

I thought MASN put some of their money into escrow for when the time came to pay up?

Just now, theocean said:

What do you mean by “winning?”    The RSDC will never set rights fees at a level that would bankrupt MASN.    They rejected the Nats’ position before, and will do it again if it comes to that.   

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Mondawmin Mall  is not a good place to be right now.

Im in and out of the city, 1-2 times a month, mostly daylight, and Inner Harbor downtown area, is relatively safe as any big city. You have to be aware of where you are and what you are doing. You don't put your head into your phone, with your headphone on and lose track of whats around you.

Some of the area around Hopkins Hospital is as bad as it gets, reminds of me of the older South Capital Street SE DC area, before revitalization came through.

I have never at one time felt unsafe around the ballpark, including walking and riding lightrail when I dont drive. Which I admin, I usually do.

They told my mother (when she attended Hopkins back in the early 90's) to never walk alone off campus and to never leave campus after dark. Baltimore city outside of the harbor just is either great or looks like something out of a scooby doo cartoon

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

MASN would probably be split up into 2 MASNs.

I thought MASN put some of their money into escrow for when the time came to pay up?

It has been supposed, by me and others, that MASN would have had to retain enough money to pay the award by the RSDC, rather than paying out dividends.    But that’s well-founded supposition, not actual fact.  

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

They told my mother (when she attended Hopkins back in the early 90's) to never walk alone off campus and to never leave campus after dark. Baltimore city outside of the harbor just is either great or looks like something out of a scooby doo cartoon

Its got better, with areas like Federal Hill.

My good friend worked hopkins in the 2000s and it was the same way, especially at night, and you will see a strong police pressence at Hopkins today, if you visited there.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It has been supposed, by me and others, that MASN would have had to retain enough money to pay the award by the RSDC, rather than paying out dividends.    But that’s well-founded supposition, not actual fact.  

Do you see a MASN split into 2 companies, or do you forsee a total gone out of business and 2 new companies step in and one pick up each team?

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

My good friend worked hopkins in the 2000s and it was the same way, especially at night, and you will see a strong police pressence at Hopkins today, if you visited there.

I know it does, and I've seen fantasic areas of the city. Problem is that you have to go through a ghost town to get there. I haven't. I don't go to Baltimore much due to how far away it is, hotel costs, etc. I mainly go for O's games and then go home. I keep up with what's going on because I care, however. 

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I know it does, and I've seen fantasic areas of the city. Problem is that you have to go through a ghost town to get there. I haven't. I don't go to Baltimore much due to how far away it is, hotel costs, etc. I mainly go for O's games and then go home. I keep up with what's going on because I care, however. 

We are blessed to have so many hospital choices in Baltimore and specialties centers.

People out in the mid-west past IOWA sometimes drive 4 hours for an urgent center, and not even a hospital.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

We are blessed to have so many hospital choices in Baltimore and specialties centers.

People out in the mid-west past IOWA sometimes drive 4 hours for an urgent center, and not even a hospital.

We have a ton of hospitals too. Because they're not highly urbanized like we are. 

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Even Federal Hill isn't 100% safe.  Had a friend get robbed with a knife to his throat a couple years back.  And there was a woman brutally beaten and robbed a couple months ago.  

Archived