Leaving Baltimore... possible?

Todd-O

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Baltimore in a steady decline and no longer able to provide for basic public safety

and with an increasing number of folks severing there cable TV links making MASN irrelevant

and with OPACY being one of the oldest stadiums in baseball

I can certainly see the Orioles moving from Baltimore

Probably not for 15-20 years... but I think we are at the cusp of an era of contracting traditional pro franchises (baseball & football).

14 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

With Baltimore in a steady decline and no longer able to provide for basic public safety

and with an increasing number of folks severing there cable TV links making MASN irrelevant

Probably not for 15-20 years... but I think we are at the cusp of an era of contracting traditional pro franchises (baseball & football).

Where do you make this stuff up from?

Oldest stadium? Seriously?

There are 9 stadiums older than OPACY. 24 parks were built from 1989 on, and OPACY is just one of them.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2017/03/31/mlb-ballparks-from-oldest-to-newest/,

I think if you look around the USA, people cutting ties to cable, is not limited to the Baltimore region.

A cable analyst estimated 31 million homes will cut the cable cord in the next 10 years and yet the same article said, the internet bundled packages could hope to see 17 million packages added in the next 10 years.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/analyst-sees-31m-homes-cutting-cord-decade/167378

I wonder how many people have cable packages, so they can have MASN and all 162 games? Probably a significant chunk.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles’ lease expires in 2021, though the team has the option to extend it for 5 years.   My guess is there will be heavy negotiations in 2021 followed by a longer term deal.

Ive seen nothing in the media to suggest that the Orioles and the Stadium Authority are unhappy with each other.

Not like DC and the relationship with the DC Armory and RFK Tenets.

41 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ive seen nothing in the media to suggest that the Orioles and the Stadium Authority are unhappy with each other.

Not like DC and the relationship with the DC Armory and RFK Tenets.

The way Angelos negotiates, there will be tensions.     He’s not a “win-win” kind of guy.    He’ll drive the hardest bargain possible (assuming he’s alive when the lease negotiations take place).

One day the city of Baltimore will come back. I don't know when, but it will. Other cities on the east coast are just so expensive. In my opinion, Baltimore is a sleeping giant. Was DC better off than Baltimore 20 years ago? I bet they were comparable. And now DC is red hot. I believe in 2030 Baltimore will be on the up and up and the Orioles will still be here. 

And the Orioles will be there. 

17 hours ago, Todd-O said:

I'm not sure how many of you have had this cross your mind... but I'm beginning to wonder if the Orioles will be in Baltimore by 2030.  I've never even considered this as a possibility until the last year... and it is painfully evident that the Washington Nationals are hell bent on becoming a 500-lb gorilla in the MLB world.  They've eclipsed the luxury tax twice in two years and have made some huge big money moves... this goes without mentioning that their presence along the Anacostia has spun-up huge renovation and life in a massively large population area (as compared to Baltimore).  

Add that notion to the fact that Baltimore is continually playing a small market card, and it makes me wonder if we could see a point as to which the O's are squeezed out of the Balt/Wash market.  T

This area is uniquely tied together... and the fact that the MLB lacks any kind of rigid salary cap... if the O's really do collapse into mediocre baseball following 2018, how long can the team hold on to any market presence when a giant is writing checks just 20 miles away?

2030? I'm not worried about that. I'll be dead by then. 

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

One day the city of Baltimore will come back. I don't know when, but it will. Other cities on the east coast are just so expensive. In my opinion, Baltimore is a sleeping giant. Was DC better off than Baltimore 20 years ago? I bet they were comparable. And now DC is red hot. I believe in 2030 Baltimore will be on the up and up and the Orioles will still be here. 

And the Orioles will be there. 

God, I hope you're right. 

14 hours ago, terpspe said:

I think it's more likely the Ravens move then the Orioles.  Ravens 30 year deal expires at the end of 2028 season.  Orioles with MASN guarantees, and the stadium will be profitable, may not be competitive.  Ravens if they don't win will see more attendance seasons like this last one, and the city is not getting richer or drawing more people.  Ravens could easily be the London team in a decade.

Oh that would be terrible. NFL won't work in Europe. I hate NFL football. But I never want  to see a team move to Europe. Back to the O's. I hope the team is in Baltimore another 100 years. 

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Wow!  Why do you say Baltimore is in decline when it comes to public safety? Is Baltimore worse than Chicago, Houston, Dallas or any other city that has a major league franchise? Seems to me you are out just to bash Baltimore. Now it's possible the O's could move. But it has no connection to violence. Every city has that. 

Archived