Leaving Baltimore... possible?

Todd-O

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its got better, with areas like Federal Hill.

My good friend worked hopkins in the 2000s and it was the same way, especially at night, and you will see a strong police pressence at Hopkins today, if you visited there.

The area around Hopkins hospital has been a problem for decades.  But then in the 1960s and 1970s, before the Inner Harbor and Schaefer, the Baltimore harbor area was also run down, crime infested, docks, etc.   And then burned during the 1968 riots in the inner cities.  Things change.  Things will continue  to change about Baltimore too...hopefully for the better. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The way Angelos negotiates, there will be tensions.     He’s not a “win-win” kind of guy.    He’ll drive the hardest bargain possible (assuming he’s alive when the lease negotiations take place).

2021 is quite a few years away for Mr. Angelos.  We shall see.  

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Even Federal Hill isn't 100% safe.  Had a friend get robbed with a knife to his throat a couple years back.  And there was a woman brutally beaten and robbed a couple months ago.  

No place is 100% safe.  Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Coleman were murdered in Brentwood.

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Wow!  Why do you say Baltimore is in decline when it comes to public safety? Is Baltimore worse than Chicago, Houston, Dallas or any other city that has a major league franchise? Seems to me you are out just to bash Baltimore. Now it's possible the O's could move. But it has no connection to violence. Every city has that. 

Wow, Seriously don't u watch the news. The per capita murder rate in Baltimore is #1 in the USA, almost double the rate in Chicago, and three times the rate in Washington DC

In addition there has been a large spike in car jackings and random un-provoked beatings like this one:

www.wbaltv.com/article/woman-feels-lucky-to-be...federal-hill-attack/13147134

Some of the attendance decline IS tied to violence in Baltimore, and Baltimore is #1 by a large margin

On 1/19/2018 at 2:07 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Even Federal Hill isn't 100% safe.  Had a friend get robbed with a knife to his throat a couple years back.  And there was a woman brutally beaten and robbed a couple months ago.  

Thats the entire society these days, no where is 100% safe, there are killings and other violent crimes in rural "safe" America, too, sadly.

39 minutes ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

Not to be overly dramatic but I’m not sure I could live without my Orioles.

As long as the world's still intact in 2030, I'm confident the O's will be in Baltimore.  If we're both posting here in 2030, I'll buy you a ticket.    

I think anything is certainly possible. There are plenty of other cities that are growing quickly or have more appealing media markets than Baltimore. 

If the O's get a new owner and wants to move the team, I'm sure one of Portland, Austin, Las Vegas, Nashville, San Antonio, Charlotte, Sacramento, or Oklahoma City will offer some crazy publicly-funded stadium proposal.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

I think anything is certainly possible. There are plenty of other cities that are growing quickly or have more appealing media markets than Baltimore. 

If the O's get a new owner and wants to move the team, I'm sure one of Portland, Austin, Las Vegas, Nashville, San Antonio, Charlotte, Sacramento, or Oklahoma City will offer some crazy publicly-funded stadium proposal.

I do too. I think the Angelos family is certainly in Baltimore for life. But another ownership? Dunno. 

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

As long as the world's still intact in 2030, I'm confident the O's will be in Baltimore.  If we're both posting here in 2030, I'll buy you a ticket.    

Hey I’ll take you up on that. I’ll screenshot this and save it for 2030. I hope we’re good again by then....

On 1/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, webbrick2010 said:

Wow, Seriously don't u watch the news. The per capita murder rate in Baltimore is #1 in the USA, almost double the rate in Chicago, and three times the rate in Washington DC

In addition there has been a large spike in car jackings and random un-provoked beatings like this one:

www.wbaltv.com/article/woman-feels-lucky-to-be...federal-hill-attack/13147134

Some of the attendance decline IS tied to violence in Baltimore, and Baltimore is #1 by a large margin

I am not in Baltimore nor do I watch the news. Unfortunately violence excists in the world.  But the reason I wouldn't go to a game is on Angelos and DD. It's pathetic the way they run this team. 

Archived