Get the Net

weams

13 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I agree with this. I sat behind the nets at Bowie and Frederick a lot last season and you it was noticeable, especially on pop ups. I felt less into the game than the times I sat away from the netting. 

I understand the reasoning, but dislike the act. 

When I went to 3A games in Round Rock my wheelchair was put behind homeplate where the net is. Doesn't bother me. 

13 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I agree with this. I sat behind the nets at Bowie and Frederick a lot last season and you it was noticeable, especially on pop ups. I felt less into the game than the times I sat away from the netting. 

I understand the reasoning, but dislike the act. 

The only "reasoning" is that a few people got hurt....if that.....and it makes the news/internet/social media these days and everyone is just so scared that they too will be one of the 1 in 73 million fans that get struck by lightning at a MLB game. Then the "safety police" guilt teams into doing this so they can feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But these are the times we live in. 

I don't necessarily mind them extending the net. I wasn't someone who was clamoring for it, but I can understand it. People getting injured at the ballpark is not super common and, statistically speaking, most of the injuries are minor when they do occur. However,  we also don't need a kid's skull getting cracked or any serious injuries happening in the stands at any park. I know it's easy to blame it all on cellphones, because anyone who has gone to a game lately knows tons of people are constantly on their phone, but these injuries are not exclusive to people who are on their cellphones. And I know, everyone has catlike reflexes so, it's impossible for them to get hit since they are laser focused on every pitch and swing. Also, I think the argument of "well, don't sit there then" probably can be extended both ways. 

Like I said, I wasn't really hoping this would happen, but it really seemed inevitable. I'm hoping it isn't too intrusive to the viewing experience, but I will just have to be there myself before I forge an opinion on that.

12 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

But can’t they at least come up with some nearly invisible super-filament that doesn’t make you feel like you’re watching the game through a chain-link fence?

I'm hoping that this decision being adopted in most ballparks is going to expedite this type of innovation. It definitely seems like something that can be done. I really believe that there is a way to increase the safety of fans who are sitting in a higher risk area of the ballpark and not hinder anyone else's viewing experience. We may not have it at this moment so, we will work with what we've got, but I do expect a new type of netting to be introduced at some point in the near future. 

Archived