O's may be competing with other launching pads for starters

wildcard

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You think a 50% tax on the overage is small potatoes?     I don’t.   A one-year reset would save a lot of money.   

I agree with you. To think otherwise at this point seems foolish. Especially with the three gems of 2019.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weams said:

I agree with you. To think otherwise at this point seems foolish. Especially with the three gems of 2019.

Right, weams, we shall see whose thinking is "foolish," if that's how you want to be. Meanwhile, the MFY has been paying the luxury tax for the past 15 years. If it were actually a deterrent for them, they wouldn't keep exceeding the cap every year. It's more "foolish," imo, to think they are going to change their stripes this year. The benefit to a World Series appearance is more valuable than the $5MM or $10MM they will waste on the penalty

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Right, weams, we shall see whose thinking is "foolish," if that's how you want to be. Meanwhile, the MFY has been paying the luxury tax for the past 15 years. If it were actually a deterrent for them, they wouldn't keep exceeding the cap every year. It's more "foolish," imo, to think they are going to change their stripes this year. The benefit to a World Series appearance is more valuable than the $5MM or $10MM they will waste on the penalty

Hey. We will see how it goes. 

Just now, weams said:

We haven’t had [offseason] meetings like this, but the exclamation point is we are getting under the threshold next year,” Cashman said.  “[Greg] Bird is our first baseman moving forward because obviously we believe in him and also because of the cost control.  The most important factor is if Bird is worthy enough to be our first baseman and our answer is yes.”

Just now, weams said:

From when this was written on October 6, things have changed. One is they took on most of Stanton's salary. Now they are really in win-it-all mode. I don't believe many statements I have heard GMs make. Do you believe every statement you have heard made by GMs?

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

From when this was written on October 6, things have changed. One is they took on most of Stanton's salary. Now they are really in win-it-all mode. I don't believe many statements I have heard GMs make. Do you believe every statement you have heard made by GMs?

Sure. Maybe it has. But it was not what was written as opinion. It was an unquestioned statement from the man supposedly making that decision. I may be wrong once again. But I'll stick with saying that thinking they won't reset would be a losing prop. 

Yankees Acquire Russell Wilson

"The arrangement is designed to accommodate Wilson’s desire to “play” for the Yankees. After two years of participating in Spring Training with the Rangers, he’ll evidently do so in 2018 with his new organization. Wilson thanked the Texas organization for “the chance to experience professional baseball again,” adding that “baseball remains a huge part of where I came from and who I am today.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/yankees-acquire-russell-wilson-rangers.html

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure. Maybe it has. But it was not what was written as opinion. It was an unquestioned statement from the man supposedly making that decision. I may be wrong once again. But I'll stick with saying that thinking they won't reset would be a losing prop. 

Or "foolish," as you actually said.:P

My point is that If I were the GM of another team, I would not allow myself to be lulled into a false sense of complacency about either team's absolute refusal to sign available free agents. Nor would I believe the statements of my competitors as gospel. If they think signing a free agent will ensure a World Series berth, then the cap be damned.

6 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Or "foolish," as you actually said.:P

My point is that If I were the GM of another team, I would not allow myself to be lulled into a false sense of complacency about either team's absolute refusal to sign available free agents. Nor would I believe the statements of my competitors as gospel. If they think signing a free agent will ensure a World Series berth, then the cap be damned.

Foolish Yes. 

Archived