Who's Your LOOGY?

Beef Supreme

Who's Your LOOGY? Assuming Richard Bleier will have a spot in the 2018 bullpen (and, for the sake of this discussion, that Cortes is either in the rotation or returned to MFY), it is likely that the Orioles will break camp with at least one more bullpen lefty. Here are some choices:
-Donnie Hart
-Elvis Araujo
-David Holmberg
-Tanner Scott
-An Unknown Free Agent
or
-Wade Miley

I am not advocating that the Orioles attempt to sign Miley for that role (and he may refuse to consider it), but I have read the suggestion that he could succeed in the LOOGY role. In 2017, his slash versus lefties was .230/.353/.310/.663. Over the past three seasons it was .236/.312/.359/.671. And I guess you could spot start him, if you were so compelled. 1/$2.5MM?

So, who's you LOOGY?

PS: if someone wants to make a poll, have at it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if they'll have another lefty if the get a starter or two.  Say they get one FA starter and Cortes wins a spot.  You have Bleier, O'Day, Givens and Brach.  Three more spots: Wright/Ynoa and Mesa are two.  Then you have one spot left if that fifth starting isn't won by Castro, Asher, or an additional FA.  In that scenario, they could have a second lefty.

I'd imagine that Hart has the edge.  I'd also add Faulkner to the list.

11 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don't know if they'll have another lefty if the get a starter or two.  Say they get one FA starter and Cortes wins a spot.  You have Bleier, O'Day, Givens and Brach.  Three more spots: Wright/Ynoa and Mesa are two.  Then you have one spot left if that fifth starting isn't won by Castro, Asher, or an additional FA.  In that scenario, they could have a second lefty.

I would be so very sorry if Hart were to be the one. 

34 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Mike Wright? I thought he was a FA. Did the O's re-sgn him?

21 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I did not foresee that possibility that Mike Wright would start throwing with his left arm. That might be more entertaining than watching Tanner Scott.

Mike Wright should try throwing LH.  He couldn't be any worse lol. Or make him a knuckleballer.  That be interesting, a knuckleball from a guy that can hit 95. 

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 6:03 PM, Beef Supreme said:

Who's Your LOOGY? ...it is likely that the Orioles will break camp with at least one more bullpen lefty. Here are some choices:
or
-Wade Miley

At least we know it won't be Wade Miley.

The Brewers have signed southpaw Wade Miley to a minor league contract, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reports (Twitter link).  Miley will earn $2.5MM in guaranteed money if he cracks Milwaukee’s MLB roster, and could earn as much as $5.7MM if he makes 29 starts in 2018.

Miley joins former Orioles teammate Yovani Gallardo as low-cost veteran pitching signings for the Brew Crew this winter...

On 2/7/2018 at 6:03 PM, Beef Supreme said:

Who's Your LOOGY? Assuming Richard Bleier will have a spot in the 2018 bullpen (and, for the sake of this discussion, that Cortes is either in the rotation or returned to MFY), it is likely that the Orioles will break camp with at least one more bullpen lefty. Here are some choices:
-Donnie Hart
-Elvis Araujo
-David Holmberg
-Tanner Scott
-An Unknown Free Agent
or
-Wade Miley

I am not advocating that the Orioles attempt to sign Miley for that role (and he may refuse to consider it), but I have read the suggestion that he could succeed in the LOOGY role. In 2017, his slash versus lefties was .230/.353/.310/.663. Over the past three seasons it was .236/.312/.359/.671. And I guess you could spot start him, if you were so compelled. 1/$2.5MM?

So, who's you LOOGY?

PS: if someone wants to make a poll, have at it.

Andrew Faulkner will get a long look as well.

Archived