The Rotation

weams

1 hour ago, esmd said:

The problem with this whole addition by subtraction thing, is that even though they've subtracted guys that were terrible on a historical level, they've still got to replace them with, you know, guys who are better.  

Random MiLB starters or MLB hangers-on may well do that. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

It's just befuddling. I will be very excited the day that the Orioles get a new ownership group. 

Even if it is BankTech International and all they are interested in is selling MASN for a profit and moving to Alberta?

21 minutes ago, weams said:

Even if it is BankTech International and all they are interested in is selling MASN for a profit and moving to Alberta?

Hmm... Introducing your 2020 Edmonton Oile.. er, Orioles! xD

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I do not want to see Tillman back at all. What does it take for Buck to wake the hell up? He wants Tillman back? I sure as hell hope that doesn't happen. 

I think he respects his work ethic and Chris the person.

There is nothing wrong with giving Chris a MIL deal, with incentives, and throw him in ST to see if last year was a fluke.

Just now, weams said:

The next owner could well move the team. That's no joke. 

Thats what everybody thought with EBW brought the team, and he never said he would move, but everybody was scared he would.

OPCY is a great ballpark with solid fanbase, I think realistically, the chances this team moves from Baltimore is less than 5%. There are not any open markets screaming for a team that could actually support it.

I know everybody is hoping the sons don't inherit the team, but IMO, and wild ass guess, they probably have 80% shot at keeping the team.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats what everybody thought with EBW brought the team, and he never said he would move, but everybody was scared he would.

OPCY is a great ballpark with solid fanbase, I think realistically, the chances this team moves from Baltimore is less than 5%. There are not any open markets screaming for a team that could actually support it.

I know everybody is hoping the sons don't inherit the team, but IMO, and wild ass guess, they probably have 80% shot at keeping the team.

I won't argue. I want you to know that MLB has the market covered and if the right person paid the right money with the right friends, all of our debate would be for naught. 

Just now, weams said:

I won't argue. I want you to know that MLB has the market covered and if the right person paid the right money with the right friends, all of our debate would be for naught. 

I would think they would be more apt to move a team like the Rays, terrible stadium and fan base less than enthused.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I would think they would be more apt to move a team like the Rays, terrible stadium and fan base less than enthused.

Depends who buys it. How much money they invest. Who their friends in MLB owners circles are.  Might be just a pipe dream. Or it might be the new wave of MLB progress. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

We cannot take Baseball in Baltimore for granted.  An owner at some future time may decide he or she would rather be somewhere else.  Of course that is absurd...or at least it seems that way.  I will just say that while I think it is unlikely that any owner would move the Orioles, it is a mistake to say that the idea is a joke.  The franchise has not won a WS since it completed OPACY, it hasn't been in one since 1983. It hasn't had a player worthy of being a Hall of Famer since Cal Ripken Jr. (Whose career preceded OPACY as did his participation in the last Oriole WS.  Attendance, once an annual flirtation with 4 million people, has fallen to 2 million and below.  The would be cash cow of MASN has been in litigation and regardless of how and when it is resolved the RSN as a business may have just about run it's course.

Yes, OPACY is still in my opinion the best park in the game.  But only 10 parks are older and while we all believe that there is no reason OPACY cannot survive 100 years, the revitalization that was brought to the Inner Harbor has lost some luster and again, those Nationals south of Baltimore continue to drag valuable resources and attention away.  The sting of 14 years of losing between winning seasons and playoff appearances, mean that aging fans were children when the glory days were ripe and young adults know Boog Powell as some little guy who plays for the Oakland A's, or that guy in RF selling Barbecue.  The modern era losing streak of 21 games to start 1988, the 30-3 loss to Texas, the game without fans.  All of these shine light on Baltimore for the wrong reason.

The glory days of 1970, the ringing of Ed-Dee Ed-Dee, the 4 20 game winners, the HOF's...Frank and Brooks, Eddie and Cal, Jim and Earl...sit long ago while the 2131, the first playoff game, the Delmon double...are but flickers of what once was and could be again if only....

Add to all of that the perception that MLB itself does not like the Orioles and it is not hard to envision a scenario where a future owner moves the team.  Do I think so?  No I do not.  But I would never, ever, in a million years, anger the baseball gods by suggesting that the very idea of no baseball in Baltimore is a joke.

OPACY is deeply entwined in the fabric of the game, but that entwinement would look so much better with a World Championship Banner or three flying from a tower on the warehouse. Nothing, and I mean nothing, endears a fan base like the excellence of winning.  OPACY is 26 this year and has yet to host a World Series game.  I believe Baseball will forever be in Baltimore and I will continue to believe that this year, this year will be the one, no matter how long the odds.  But until such time as those WS games are played...I will always fear a future of Baseball that doesn't include Baltimore. 

Edit to say I believe when he goes into the Hall, Mussina will be a Yankee.

16 hours ago, foxfield said:

We cannot take Baseball in Baltimore for granted.  An owner at some future time may decide he or she would rather be somewhere else.  Of course that is absurd...or at least it seems that way.  I will just say that while I think it is unlikely that any owner would move the Orioles, it is a mistake to say that the idea is a joke.  The franchise has not won a WS since it completed OPACY, it hasn't been in one since 1983. It hasn't had a player worthy of being a Hall of Famer since Cal Ripken Jr. (Whose career preceded OPACY as did his participation in the last Oriole WS.  Attendance, once an annual flirtation with 4 million people, has fallen to 2 million and below.  The would be cash cow of MASN has been in litigation and regardless of how and when it is resolved the RSN as a business may have just about run it's course.

Yes, OPACY is still in my opinion the best park in the game.  But only 10 parks are older and while we all believe that there is no reason OPACY cannot survive 100 years, the revitalization that was brought to the Inner Harbor has lost some luster and again, those Nationals south of Baltimore continue to drag valuable resources and attention away.  The sting of 14 years of losing between winning seasons and playoff appearances, mean that aging fans were children when the glory days were ripe and young adults know Boog Powell as some little guy who plays for the Oakland A's, or that guy in RF selling Barbecue.  The modern era losing streak of 21 games to start 1988, the 30-3 loss to Texas, the game without fans.  All of these shine light on Baltimore for the wrong reason.

The glory days of 1970, the ringing of Ed-Dee Ed-Dee, the 4 20 game winners, the HOF's...Frank and Brooks, Eddie and Cal, Jim and Earl...sit long ago while the 2131, the first playoff game, the Delmon double...are but flickers of what once was and could be again if only....

Add to all of that the perception that MLB itself does not like the Orioles and it is not hard to envision a scenario where a future owner moves the team.  Do I think so?  No I do not.  But I would never, ever, in a million years, anger the baseball gods by suggesting that the very idea of no baseball in Baltimore is a joke.

OPACY is deeply entwined in the fabric of the game, but that entwinement would look so much better with a World Championship Banner or three flying from a tower on the warehouse. Nothing, and I mean nothing, endears a fan base like the excellence of winning.  OPACY is 26 this year and has yet to host a World Series game.  I believe Baseball will forever be in Baltimore and I will continue to believe that this year, this year will be the one, no matter how long the odds.  But until such time as those WS games are played...I will always fear a future of Baseball that doesn't include Baltimore. 

Edit to say I believe when he goes into the Hall, Mussina will be a Yankee.

You make several valid points.

But teams do not move because they haven't won a WS.

They move, because the stadium sucks and/or they dont have fan support.

While you are correct, they have not hosted a WS game at OPCY, you have to keep in mind, only 2 teams a year get that opportunity.

OPCY has hosted 3 ALCS series and thrown in the ALDS. This team has real chances to knock on that WS door, and it didn't work out. Thats baseball.

The Cubs hadnt won in 99 years, but you didnt see talk of them moving away, because they hadn't won the WS.

19 hours ago, weams said:

Wow. That is upsetting. 

I don't think any franchise should face such a horrid situation. They should pass a rule that any team with 15 or 20+ years in a city cannot move without 75% approval or something or a public referendum. Just awful. I still feel bad the Ravens stole their team back from Cleveland. Not sure 2 wrongs make a right....but I get it.

Just now, Rene88 said:

Wow. That is upsetting. 

I don't think any franchise should face such a horrid situation. They should pass a rule that any team with 15 or 20+ years in a city cannot move without 75% approval or something or a public referendum. Just awful. I still feel bad the Ravens stole their team back from Cleveland. Not sure 2 wrongs make a right....but I get it.

While I understand where this is coming from, your heart, and while in theory it makes sense.

There is no way on earth, in a freely capitalistic society that you can said this.

Lets say you own a lawncare business and you want to move to sunny Florida for yearlong work and the babes. But, your customers love you, and 75% vote can keep you behind, and they dont have any stake in your business, but they can hold you back. Would that be right?

54 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You make several valid points.

But teams do not move because they haven't won a WS.

They move, because the stadium sucks and/or they dont have fan support.

While you are correct, they have not hosted a WS game at OPCY, you have to keep in mind, only 2 teams a year get that opportunity.

OPCY has hosted 3 ALCS series and thrown in the ALDS. This team has real chances to knock on that WS door, and it didn't work out. Thats baseball.

The Cubs hadnt won in 99 years, but you didnt see talk of them moving away, because they hadn't won the WS.

They did host a "world series" of sorts when Fidel, Jose Contreras and Co. visited for a home and home set way back in 1999!

Fidel-Castro-Albert-Belle.jpg

Archived