Orioles Farm: Good, Bad, or Ugly

Luke-OH

This is about to become a whole lot more relevant. Half a season from the OP, how do things look at the moment? Feels like Hays & Harvey have been disappointments and then Sisco and Scott have done poorly at the major league level. I’ve heard some doom and gloom from national pundits about our farm, but I feel like some of that might be a little lazy because we’ve been ranked near the middle of the pack the last year or so (15-25)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

This is about to become a whole lot more relevant. Half a season from the OP, how do things look at the moment? Feels like Hays & Harvey have been disappointments and then Sisco and Scott have done poorly at the major league level. I’ve heard some doom and gloom from national pundits about our farm, but I feel like some of that might be a little lazy because we’ve been ranked near the middle of the pack the last year or so (15-25)

I'm finishing up my mid-season prospect list, but it's not doom and gloom, it could have been better obviously. 

Scott I don't think has done poorly, there are some growing pains, but he's striking out 13 per 9 and just needs to improve consistency.

Sisco has disappointed with the bat, which is unfortunate, I still think he has a big league future, but we probably should hedge expectations some. Santander struggled as well.

Hays and Harvey losing time really hurts, but Lowther, McKenna, Mullins, DL Hall, and Hanifee all have improved their stock (among others).

Also, the Orioles have seen debuts by fringe prospects of varying interests (Ramirez, Hess, Meisinger, Fry, Wilkerson, Wynns) some of which have been promising. Any MLB value from this group would be quite the win. 

52 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm finishing up my mid-season prospect list, but it's not doom and gloom, it could have been better obviously. 

Scott I don't think has done poorly, there are some growing pains, but he's striking out 13 per 9 and just needs to improve consistency.

Sisco has disappointed with the bat, which is unfortunate, I still think he has a big league future, but we probably should hedge expectations some. Santander struggled as well.

Hays and Harvey losing time really hurts, but Lowther, McKenna, Mullins, DL Hall, and Hanifee all have improved their stock (among others).

Also, the Orioles have seen debuts by fringe prospects of varying interests (Ramirez, Hess, Meisinger, Fry, Wilkerson, Wynns) some of which have been promising. Any MLB value from this group would be quite the win. 

Thank you for this. And look forward to the mid season report. 

27 minutes ago, esmd said:

Seems like we're in decent shape at the lower levels, but the not so much at the ML-ready level.

Yeah, it seems like we've got some guys that could be decent role players that are near the top (Mullins, Sisco, etc.). But obviously no real impact pitching that's close. Should be interesting to see what it looks like after the trades. I'm pretty optimistic that we'll have a talented system by year's end, but I've seen some negative Nancys out there in the national media. Hopefully this rebuild is more near 5 years at worst case scenario vs. the 15. And I still think our starting pitching could be pretty good next year if Cobb can get back to normal (granted I haven't watched one of his starts this year so it's easier to be optimistic).

Rameriez I think is either a back of the rotation nugget or the "homegrown" version of Richard Bleier. Scott has a FIP of 3.48. I think that gets better as time goes on and he becomes more consistent. Granted, his WHIP is almost at 1.8, but again, growing pains. Sisco hasn't done well, but I think that is most likely due to lack of playing time. 

5 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

The problem with 15-25 is that the bottom six to eight farm systems are pretty bare so we are not clearing a high bar to get to around 20.  Two more years of good drafts w high picks should have us in the top 10 entering 2021.

My gut feeling is that this year has been mildly disappointing in terms of how our prospects have developed in 2018.     Three of our top four (Hays, Hunter and Sisco) have really disappointed.   There are also a number of good stories, but these at the top levels closest to the majors really hurt IMO.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My gut feeling is that this year has been mildly disappointing in terms of how our prospects have developed in 2018.     Three of our top four (Hays, Hunter and Sisco) have really disappointed.   There are also a number of good stories, but these at the top levels closest to the majors really hurt IMO.

Mullins, Stewart and Akin are near MLB ready and they have all performed pretty well this year. Mckenna and Mullins have upped their profiles to MLB regulars according to Keith Law and other scouts. Can't disagree with you on how disappointing Hays, Harvey and Sisco have been. Only makes nailing this deadline more imperative 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Mullins, Stewart and Akin are near MLB ready and they have all performed pretty well this year. Mckenna and Mullins have upped their profiles to MLB regulars according to Keith Law and other scouts. Can't disagree with you on how disappointing Hays, Harvey and Sisco have been. Only makes nailing this deadline more imperative 

You forgot Mountcastle.  I think we have some good players.  It's not like the system is bare.   I think what is missing is we don't have any top 20 talent.   Maybe with next year's pick we will have it.   

Hays’ injury and awful approach, along with Harvey’s relative progression and injury, has been disappointing, certainly. That’s two of our top 3 preseason prospects. Harvey’s freak injury is more problematic to me. Hays, well maybe he gets a chance to evaluate his approach while he is sidelined. Mountcastle started with a hand injury that delayed his season by 6 weeks or so. The reports on Bishop’s velo and stuff are troublesome. Labrum surgery on Sparks. And Sedlock has not been healthy in a year. Yuck!

I expected Sisco to struggle this year, honestly. He has some things to work on if he’s going to be a frontline catcher on a winning club. At this point, can he play 3B? Increased versatility can only help him as I just don’t know that he has the ability to be a quality catcher defensively. His footwork and instincts back there don’t allow his arm to play well. He can hit, but I am not sold behind the plate. And when I looked at his body language, I don’t think he thought he belonged in the ML either. 

Overall, the farm is seemingly on a upward trend the past month or so. Things started slowly, in part, because the weather was just dreadful for the first 5 weeks or so. That affects some more than others. But now, guys are starting to find their groove as the sun shines. 

DL Hall has been really good as the season has progressed. Akin and Lowther have pitched consistently well. Baumann has been more challenged in Frederick, but still doing well overall. Mountcastle has been raking. Mullins and Stewart have been doing what they should at AAA. McKenna and Hanifee are taken big steps forward. Dietz has improved his command and has taken steps forward in his status. Gray Fenter seems to be moving upward now as well. I expect Santander to get it going, but I know he is no longer considered a “prospect.” 

I believe many of these guys will have had good years when the season is over. Tough to be optimistic when the guys at the top have struggled and are banged up. But adding Grayson Rodriguez, Grenier, Knight and Rom through the draft should help. 

23 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Rameriez I think is either a back of the rotation nugget or the "homegrown" version of Richard Bleier. Scott has a FIP of 3.48. I think that gets better as time goes on and he becomes more consistent. Granted, his WHIP is almost at 1.8, but again, growing pains. Sisco hasn't done well, but I think that is most likely due to lack of playing time. 

Ramirez isn't homegrown. He was acquired last season from the Yankees for International money at the deadline.

Archived