What was our record in games Hays started?

NedFromYork

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

If Mullins is ready, I'd like to see him given the LF job and move Mancini to right. Hopefully provide OBP and a little more speed at top of lineup. I think Hays could use a full season in AAA.

You may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Mullins' minor league OBP of .323 is just shy of major league average last year. It is likely to drop at the MLB level so Mullins probably is not the player to count on to provide OBP.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mancini-level offense and above average defense works for me.  

I thought that he was saying that Hays was a finalist for MiLB player of the year and a top 100 prospect. With the expectations that have accumulated for him, it would be disappointing (in some measure) if all he accomplished was Mancini's results last year. 

Personally, if we had two players like that in the O's outfield for the next 5-6 years, I'd be thrilled.  

30 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I thought that he was saying that Hays was a finalist for MiLB player of the year and a top 100 prospect. With the expectations that have accumulated for him, it would be disappointing (in some measure) if all he accomplished was Mancini's results last year. 

Personally, if we had two players like that in the O's outfield for the next 5-6 years, I'd be thrilled.  

I'm not sure anyone should be upset if Hays puts up Mancini-like offensive numbers in the big leagues. That would not be a disappointment at all, especially with his defense.

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure anyone should be upset if Hays puts up Mancini-like offensive numbers in the big leagues. That would not be a disappointment at all, especially with his defense.

I agree completely (I think that is what I was trying to convey). When is the last time the O's had two home grown outfielders who could each put up Mancini's numbers from last year?

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I think I'd be pretty happy with a 22-year-old outfielder who has a .830 OPS and a 2+ win season as a rookie making the jump from AA.

In modern Oriole history there have only been eight rookies with a 120+ OPS+ in 300 or more PAs: Bumbry, Gentile, Milligan, Blefray, Coggins, Grich, Murray, Young.  The Orioles have only had 18 rookies in 63 years who've been league average hitters in 300+ PAs.

(Sorry, somehow I clicked non-active players...my prior search excluded Markakis and Hyun Soo Kim in the average-hitting rookies, so it's really 20 in 63 years.)

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

What? Dude finished 3rd in ROY and put up 2.2 WAR. Adam Jones is basically a 2-4 WAR player throughout his career.

To me, Hays is probably not going to hit 30 bombs in the big leagues like he did in the minors. He just doesn't really profile as a power hitter. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do. He's not Adam Jones much less Mookie Betts.

Just now, interloper said:

What? Dude finished 3rd in ROY and put up 2.2 WAR. Adam Jones is basically a 2-4 WAR player throughout his career.

To me, Hays is probably not going to hit 30 bombs in the big leagues like he did in the minors. He just doesn't really profile as a power hitter. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do. He's not Adam Jones much less Mookie Betts.

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that I would be disappointed, but that CoC may have communicated that sentiment. 

I would love if Mancini and Hays played regularly, and each put up Mancini's numbers from last year. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that I would be disappointed, but that CoC may have communicated that sentiment. 

I would love if Mancini and Hays played regularly, and each put up Mancini's numbers from last year. 

Yeah, sorry, skimmed a little too quickly!

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I agree completely (I think that is what I was trying to convey). When is the last time the O's had two home grown outfielders who could each put up Mancini's numbers from last year?

Never? This is an organization that has not produced many impact bats over the last 40 years. Machado, Schoop, Mancini and we assume Hays shortly may be the best run of good positional players ever to come out of the system since the 1970s when the system was kicking out Bumbry, Grich, Baylor, Murray and DeCinces.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Never? This is an organization that has not produced many impact bats over the last 40 years. Machado, Schoop, Mancini and we assume Hays shortly may be the best run of good positional players ever to come out of the system since the 1970s when the system was kicking out Bumbry, Grich, Baylor, Murray and DeCinces.  

It was basically a revelation that Brian Roberts came up through the system and did what he did, at the time, and then Markakis. There's a reason the fanbase treated Markakis like the second coming of Christ. We just hadn't seen a young rookie like that in years.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

How could you exclude Cal Jr from this group? :)

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wouldn't be so fast with that assessment on offense. i think Hays very well could end up with Adam Jones-like numbers in the major leagues. You can argue that Hays has more power at 22 than Jones did. I'm not saying Hays will become a right field Adam Jones, but Jones is not a bad comp for him.

Archived