NEED one of the Big Three Pitchers Left

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, connja said:

The more this offseason plays out, the more I think there must be some truth to Tony's hypothesis that the O's are preparing to be sold.    to reduce payroll and pass on so many free agent pitchers ahead of a season where we have one more shot with Machado just does not make sense.  

Oh my God it would be awesome if the Angelos family sold the Orioles.  Don't get our hopes up.  Of course it would depend on who the buyer is too.  

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Not that the Orioles ever get lucky, but with a little luck maybe this Hunter Harvey kid can find a good, healthy season in the minors and have something to give the O's midway through the season.

I wouldn't rush him this year. Plus he just started with a new pitch. Give him the year to work on it.

But in the next 2 seasons, you could see Harvey, Wells, and Akin all up. That's 3/5 of a potentially very solid and homegrown staff.

34 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

You're not a fan of Alex Cobb?  Personally I like Lee J Cobb.

Interviewer in 1958: : With all the great players playing ball right now, how well do you think you would do against today's pitchers? 

Ty Cobb: Well, I figure against today's pitchers I'd only probably hit about .290

Interviewer: .290? Well that's amazing, because you batted over .400  a whole bunch of times. Now tell us all, we'd all like to know, why do you think you'd only hit .290? 

Ty Cobb: Well, I'm 72 f***ing years old you ignorant son of a b***h. 

My kind of player. .

Just now, tntoriole said:

Interviewer in 1958: : With all the great players playing ball right now, how well do you think you would do against today's pitchers? 

Ty Cobb: Well, I figure against today's pitchers I'd only probably hit about .290

Interviewer: .290? Well that's amazing, because you batted over .400  a whole bunch of times. Now tell us all, we'd all like to know, why do you think you'd only hit .290? 

My kind of player. .

If you ever need a guy to go into the stands after a cripple...

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

My kind of player. .

I don't want to digress into a lengthy discussion of myth and reality concerning Ty Cobb, but  . . . 

I first read about this glib remark as a young baseball fan, probably in the early 1960s, which would have been within five years or so after it supposedly was made. (Cobb was born in 1886 and died in 1961 at age 74. The versions I' can recall hearing put Cobb at 70 or "almost 70" years old.)

But every version I can recall hearings has another long-retired ballplayer other than Cobb  (sometimes a Hall of Famer at some gathering in Cooperstown) making the joke. I'm pretty sure I've seen it attributed to Charlie Gehringer, and here is a 1985 Sports Illustrated article citing Lefty O'Doul (who's in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame, but not the one in upstate New York). 

https://www.si.com/vault/1985/04/15/622346/look-out-ty-cobb

I don't recall ever reading that Cobb made a remark like this about himself. I think the 1994 Tommy Lee Jones film, as a matter of plot convenience or character assassination (or both), had Cobb say it. Is there any reputable source that says Cobb himself boasted about his ability to hit major league pitchers in the 1950s? If so, I'd like to see it. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

But every version I can recall hearings has another long-retired ballplayer other than Cobb  (sometimes a Hall of Famer at some gathering in Cooperstown) making the joke. I'm pretty sure I've seen it attributed to Charlie Gehringer, and here is a 1985 Sports Illustrated article citing Lefty O'Doul (who's in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame, but not the one in upstate New York). 

The important thing about Lefty O'Doul is that Lefty O'Doul's in San Francisco makes a pretty good sandwich.

Frankly, if I had never walked in there just on the spur of the moment, I never would have never even heard of Lefty O'Doul. Neat baseball memorabilia in there, too, as I recall (it has been a while).

Any other decent restaurants around named after baseball players? I mean, other than Dempsey's at the stadium, which is a reasonably decent place. His food could use a little "oomph" to it, but not bad, all in all.

5 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What teams are left in the market for Cobb? Any idea who our competition is?

Brewers, possibly the Nationals to name a few.  My guess is that Brewers probably get Cobb.  Probably on a 2 year deal that we could have outbid if our FO had any shred dignity and competence.  

4 hours ago, Carllamy said:

Any other decent restaurants around named after baseball players? I mean, other than Dempsey's at the stadium, which is a reasonably decent place. His food could use a little "oomph" to it, but not bad, all in all.

Mike Shannon’s in St. Louis is a pretty good high end steak place.   

4 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Brewers, possibly the Nationals to name a few.  My guess is that Brewers probably get Cobb.  Probably on a 2 year deal that we could have outbid if our FO had any shred dignity and competence.  

Nobody is ever taking a one year deal with us. So if we want Cobb we’d have to overpay a little on a two year deal, and have the highest offer on a 3 year deal.

2/28 or 3/39 is what it’s going to take. 

How much better would we all feel with Cobb over our current 5th SP?  You can’t go into season knowing you need a miracle at an important position. 

Archived