Bill Bavasi has some choice words for Bedard Check this out!!

DuffMan

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/index.html#029552

I found this nugget in Geoff Baker's blog over at the Seattle Times. While the blog is great I urge you to watch the video clip as well. He starts talking about Bedard around the 2 minute work and he doesn't sugar coat things much at all!

I think my favorite quote was when they were asking Bavasi why Bedard can't pitch deeper into games, he says they should ask Bedard, but "He'll have a stupid answer for you, you can count on it. He'll have some dumb ass answer"

As I said make sure you watch the video because the blog only has a few of the quotes!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is great. We all knew this would happen though. That was why I heard hardly any whining when we got rid of the guy.
The reason you heard hardly any whining is because we got a great return that was more in line with the direction of the organization.

Anybody who doesn't want this guy in their rotation is an idiot. But, he does have his flaws, and he'll never be confused with a guy that is gonna go 7+ every time out and get you 220 innings on the year.

But, to categorize him as a 5-inning pitcher who comes out after 95 pitches every time isn't accurate either.

I liked Bedard and was very happy with the return also. That being said, the chemistry part was not there, IMO.

If I remember correctly, when he made his first start in Seattle in the home opener he was given a standing O. I mean they gave away some big peices of the franchise to get him so the fans were looking to welcome the savior.

He was asked after the game what he thought of the standing O and he says something to the effect of, It really doesn't matter to me. Is this the way to endear yourself to a new fanbase who was already wondering if upper management gave too much.

I thought he was a hell of a pitcher but I want people on my team that we can have access to and actually seem to enjoy or care about our reactions.

Bavasi in my mind comes off looking like an idiot. Bedard did not become who he is this off-season. He has been this way since he first took the ball for us. To me for him to rant about Bedard's flaws just makes it look like he did not do his homework. If he didn't know what to expect, that is his fault, not Bedard's.

The reason you heard hardly any whining is because we got a great return that was more in line with the direction of the organization.

Anybody who doesn't want this guy in their rotation is an idiot. But, he does have his flaws, and he'll never be confused with a guy that is gonna go 7+ every time out and get you 220 innings on the year.

But, to categorize him as a 5-inning pitcher who comes out after 95 pitches every time isn't accurate either.

Not completely accurate, but when your ace asks to come out of a tight ballgame in the middle innings, he's going to be questioned.

In his last two starts he had given up 2 runs through 6 and 1 run through 5. His pitch count was 100 and 99, and he didn't go back out for the next inning. Two of the three previous starts he didn't get out of the 5th.

I like Bedard. I love our return for him better. Although Bavasi made more bad moves than this one. This one is the one that's going to stick out on his resume. I'd be frustrated with him also.

What are the odds that....

* The Yankees try to pry Bedard away to take Wang's place?

* We try to bring Bedard back as a free agent?

First one is pretty good.

The second, hopefully guys like Liz, Olson, Loewen and the continued development of Tillman and co., makes it painfully obvious that this team doesn't need to acquire starting pitching via free agency.

Bavasi in my mind comes off looking like an idiot. Bedard did not become who he is this off-season. He has been this way since he first took the ball for us. To me for him to rant about Bedard's flaws just makes it look like he did not do his homework. If he didn't know what to expect, that is his fault, not Bedard's.

IMO, Bavasi is an idiot for giving that press conference. Anything you say beyond "we tried some stuff and it didn't work out" is just you sitting there making rope to hang yourself.

Speaking of dumbasses...

I always thought Bedard freaked when he had his arm troubles in the minors. I have always figured that once he gets a mega deal he will put his arm on the line again and pitch harder. This mentality if correct will not make him a fan favorite anywhere he ends up.

Reminds me of the character that says "Show me the MONEY!" The agent has to tell him to show some heart and the money will follow.

I liked Bedard and was very happy with the return also. That being said' date=' the chemistry part was not there, IMO.

If I remember correctly, when he made his first start in Seattle in the home opener he was given a standing O. I mean they gave away some big peices of the franchise to get him so the fans were looking to welcome the savior.

He was asked after the game what he thought of the standing O and he says something to the effect of, It really doesn't matter to me. Is this the way to endear yourself to a new fanbase who was already wondering if upper management gave too much.

I thought he was a hell of a pitcher but I want people on my team that we can have access to and actually seem to enjoy or care about our reactions.[/quote']

Exactly. The guy has been a royal ***** from day 1. I'd be fine with it if he pitched well, but that hasn't been the case. He's been downright disappointing on the mound. Bad command, less velocity on his fastball, couple blowout games. He's done nothing here and he's a jerk on top of it. Let the Yankees have him.

Exactly. The guy has been a royal ***** from day 1. I'd be fine with it if he pitched well, but that hasn't been the case. He's been downright disappointing on the mound. Bad command, less velocity on his fastball, couple blowout games. He's done nothing here and he's a jerk on top of it. Let the Yankees have him.

Things will certainly get interesting here in the next month or so if the new guy in town feels the same way. The M's could obviously still get some real nice pieces back.

IMO, Bavasi is an idiot for giving that press conference. Anything you say beyond "we tried some stuff and it didn't work out" is just you sitting there making rope to hang yourself.

Speaking of dumbasses...

I agree, this was completely idiotic. Bavasi must not want another GM job to say that kind of stuff. He may be able to land on his feet in a scouting department or something like that but what team is going to hand the reins over to someone who shoots his mouth off?

Archived