Lance Lynn Signs with the Twins (One-Year Deal)

OFFNY

5 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

We need to face reality. Let's say you have no connection to Baltimore. Why would you want to move your family here? This is one of the worst run cities in the nation. Look at the murder rate. Baltimore is not a place people want to move to.

I like Baltimore, always enjoy visiting, I've never lived in the city, but maybe living in Philly when it was the murder capital of the nation has made me numb to city crime issues.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

We need to face reality. Let's say you have no connection to Baltimore. Why would you want to move your family here? This is one of the worst run cities in the nation. Look at the murder rate. Baltimore is not a place people want to move to.

Detroit hasn't had much problems bringing in FAs over the years.

33 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

This is absurd.  Of all the reasons why players choose another team or city, the “murder rate” is not one of them. 

Where exactly do you think millionaire baseball players live?  Off Potee Street?  lol. 

How high do you think the “murder rate” is in Lutherville where Adam Jones lives?  Good grief!

http://www.idealcelebrityhomes.com/adam-jones-baltimore-house/

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

This is absurd.  Of all the reasons why players choose another team or city, the “murder rate” is not one of them. 

Where exactly do you think millionaire baseball players live?  Off Potee Street?  lol. 

How high do you think the “murder rate” is in Lutherville where Adam Jones lives?  Good grief!

Exactly. Being the murder capital just usually means gang violence typically here in the States. If you look up top cities for murders or violent crime per capita internationally it is usually the result of gang violence, corruption/tyranny by the government (think modern day Philippines or an extreme example of Pol Pot sadly), or an ongoing war (Iraq). How many cases is it because you walk outside your home and are shot randomly? None. Except maybe in a school here in the US, but I digress..

I have traveled all over the world and it amazes me how ignorant the common US citizen is in regards to worldly issues and history. And I love hearing from folks in Carroll and Cecil Counties ..."I am just afraid to go into the city anymore" I think to myself, good, stay out, nobody wants you there anyways granny.

I will say this, communities not considered to be diverse and/or threatening to minorities are less appealing to many younger ballplayers. I know that for a fact, an that has only been reinforced during the last 2 years. That is why some of passed by the Cardinals in recent memory.

15 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It’s probabky not at the top of the list but the city being in flames and having to call off a game and then play one with no fans isn’t something people put in the plus column.

15 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes,and most Yankees and Mets live in Jersey or Long Island.

Also Markakis and A,J Burnett still live near Hunt Valley.

5 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

It’s probabky not at the top of the list but the city being in flames and having to call off a game and then play one with no fans isn’t something people put in the plus column.

It affects companies moving to Baltimore.Ballplayers coming here, not so much.

Baltimore is in a weird place.Real growth in New businesses and some areas that are self destructing.

Just look at Port Covington and the Union Collective and the art scene is growing.

1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

There is not a city with any baseball team that does not have multiple crimes somewhere relatively near a ballpark every day of the year.   Bad publicity is just that...a distorted exaggeration of risk to someone who would live in a gated community in a suburb.    Lance Lynn did not choose Minnesota because he was afraid of getting murdered in Baltimore...good grief. 

3 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Oh please.  They could easily get a posh house in the surrounding counties that is perfectly safe.  

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure of that at all.    If I’m Lynn, I might very well take 1/$12 mm with $2 mm in incentives in Minnesota over 2/$20 mm in Baltimore.   As another poster pointed out, next year Lynn won’t have a QO attached and that will enhance his value.   Plus, the Twins have a better playoff shot than the Orioles and Minnesota is a better place to pitch.    

Ok, fine I'll steel man your argument even further.  Let's say it would have taken 2/25 to either get Lynn to sign here or force the Twins to raise their price.  Is 2/25 for Lynn such a hardship for this organization to offer a guy like Lance Lynn?  Look, I'll be the first to admit that Lynn ain't Cy Young and his peripherals last year sucked.  But I think it's reasonable to assume he's be able to post a 5 ERA and 350 innings over those two years, which would be a solid return for 2/25 in  this day and age as a matter of fact.  

2 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Ok, fine I'll steel man your argument even further.  Let's say it would have taken 2/25 to either get Lynn to sign here or force the Twins to raise their price.  Is 2/25 for Lynn such a hardship for this organization to offer a guy like Lance Lynn?  Look, I'll be the first to admit that Lynn ain't Cy Young and his peripherals last year sucked.  But I think it's reasonable to assume he's be able to post a 5 ERA and 350 innings over those two years, which would be a solid return for 2/25 in  this day and age as a matter of fact.  

You think Lynn would have signed a two-year deal for 30? I think he likes the idea of FA with no qualifying offer. 

27 minutes ago, weams said:

You think Lynn would have signed a two-year deal for 30? I think he likes the idea of FA with no qualifying offer. 

Ok so you're basically insisting that Lynn wouldn't take even more than double the guaranteed money the Twins offered him from us because qualifying offer, luxury tax, etc.  

Fine.  Then what if we'd offered him 1/24?  Do you really thing he'd turn down double the guaranteed money for a one year deal where he gets to hit the FA market again without a QO next offseason?  Remember, we would still be UNDER last year's payroll in even if we did pay Lynn that 24 million this year.  I mean come on these tortured apologies for the front office's incompetence are getting absurd.  There is no excuse for us not to have been in on this.  The Twins are our primary rival for that exact wild card spot the FO insists they are competing tooth and nail for this season.  Why the heck did we just let our rival get a dirt cheap deal on a top five SP free agent, especially when we are in desperate need of one ourselves?

And don't talk to me about draft picks.  It's not the first round pick we'd lose this time, it's the second round.  We were willing to give up a first round pick for Gallardo on a two year deal a couple years ago.  And besides I thought we were going to "go for it" this year and weren't rebuilding?  

Seriously...if we can't be bothered to compete with the frickin Twins for a bargain basement deal on a desperate team need, then we aren't serious about contending and need to trade Manny NOW.  

1 hour ago, weams said:

You think he would have signed a one year deal here for 15-16 million guaranteed plus incentives to say 18? 

Archived