Big Bundy start today

interloper

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree. As far as spring starts go, this is a big one. The organization will say that spring doesn't matter, but nobody wants to see (arguably) their best pitcher, now and/or in the future, getting hammered repeatedly. 

Especially when he's had both elbow AND shoulder injuries, and he hasn't come through the TJS as well as Harvey did in terms of maintaining velocity. He relies on his (pretty excellent) breaking stuff, so if that's not there either, he'll be toast.

My prediction is that his fastball remains around 90 today, but he'll find his breaking stuff and start making people look foolish on the slider/cutter, which when right, is a truly next level pitch. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really care about that.   I’m more interested in how his stuff looks than the results.   If he’s still throwing 90 mph that would make me nervous.    

I'm more concerned about the breaking stuff, because the fastball isn't very good anyway. Sat mostly 92 last year, could hump it up to 94 at times if he really tried. But it's straight anyway. Spot it, and throw the nasty breaking stuff.

2 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Yep, really, really, really big start......along with all the really, really, really 30 big starts during the season...Really early for really IMO.

Eh, to each their opinion. I also said "pretty big". ;) 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Curious what you mean by "scramble mode."   

All the evidence seems to be that we are not looking to add another starter before Opening Day.  I hope we do sign Cobb and I am proven wrong though.

If Bundy has a bad start today he will still be guaranteed to be our #1 or #2 starter.

I agree that Bundy's performance today is not likely to affect what the Orioles do -- or don't do -- to try to improve their starting pitching.

But if that were to happen, or if there would be a setback for another of our "Big Four"  starters (9_9) or a contender for spot #5, we might see more effort to sign other teams' castoffs as they make their roster cuts. No more than that.

Notes so far:

• Overall looks much better. Getting results.
  • Breaking stuff is getting there. Couple of good changeups and curves. 
  • Still not seeing the mega-slider/cutter. He might be saving it.
  • First two fastballs of the game were 87 and 88 respectively. He's now sitting 91 consistently, and attempts to get strikeouts by going to 93. Got one strikeout on it.

4th inning now, around 54 pitches to start the inning.

Fastball still 89-91.

Error by Sardinas allows the first man on. 

Real nice change for a swing and miss. 

Command starting to get spotty. Lot of deep counts this inning.

Called strike 3 on a PRETTY change up, 82, down and away with movement.

Curve is big and bendy and about 74, looks nice, but not throwing it for strikes.

Ground ball base hit on a 3-2 pitch. 

Nice ground ball for the double play to get out of it.

4 strong innings. I feel much better. We'll have to live with 89-93 throughout the year, but that's fine if his breaking stuff is working which it was today. 

Archived