MLB unhappy at Judge for recruiting Machado today on the field

Diehard_O's_Fan

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh cry me a river.  

These guys go out and have dinners together, they train together in the offseasons, they talk to each other during batting practice and between pitching changes.  They have the same agents and have endorsement deals with the same companies. 

This is the landscape of sports today, high priced athletes that hang out with each other in various fashions all the time.  Arguably, one of the worst things that happened to the NBA was the Dream Teams because it got the best players spending time together and getting to know each other and figuring out how to play with each other.  IIRC, LeBron going to South Beach with Bosh to join Wade was hatched while they were on an Olympic team together.  NFL players after a game are taking their jerseys off and signing them and trading them with their opponents.  

Fans like to hold on to this thing that doesn't exist anymore, that these guys are sworn enemies and hate each other because...well, that's the way it was in the good old days.  But it's not like that anymore.

My point is that these guys are having these conversations all the time in private.  So when Judge says something like that, the hand wringing and wrist slapping that ensues is an overreaction.  Manny's probably going to end up there if the dollars add up first and foremost, I don't think a comment from Judge in an ST game is going to sway him.  

Player's timeline:

1. Third baseman.  Born in...say LA.
2. Grows up rooting for the Dodgers. Maybe even the Angels.
3. Plays high school, travel ball, etc with any number of pro prospects.  Probably good friends with some of them.
4. Drafted by the Tigers.
5. Spends four years in Tigers system, wandering around Walla Walla and Toledo and various places.
6. Gets called up, platoons for a while.  Moved to RF because he's blocked by a veteran.
7. Rumors that the Tigers are going to trade him to Miami.
8. Busts out in 3rd year, becomes an All Star.
9. Rumors that he's going to Milwaukee for prospects after Tigers tank and start a rebuild.  Tigers talk about how they're looking into an extension, kind of.  Maybe.
10. Signs a series of 1-year deals in lieu of arbitration.  Strangely, he sometimes talks to his buddy from LA who now plays on the White Sox.  Also seen talking to this guy on the D'backs while he's walking into his agent's office.  That's weird.
11. Becomes free agent.  Signs with Astros.  Tigers fans start a I Hate This Guy page because the jerk showed no loyalty to the organization.  *#&%* can't believe that he didn't want to play in Detroit for the rest of his career.

Player's timeline circa 1950:

1. Third baseman.  Born in...say LA.
2. Grows up rooting for the Hollywood Stars in the PCL.
3. Plays high school ball with a few pro prospects.  Probably good friends with some of them.
4. Signs with the Tigers because they offered him $1500, and the Browns were only going to give him $500.
5. In the Detroit system and then with the Tigers for 11 years, because the Tigers control his rights indefinitely.
6. Pretty much just hangs out with Tigers for 11 years.  Never even sees NL players.  Agents aren't a thing for another 20 years, social media invented in 45 years.  Kind of loses touch with his LA buddies.
7.  Has an off year at 32, sees his salary cut to $7000 a year, and is then traded to the KC A's where he plays out the string with a 100-loss team.
8.  Retires, confident in the knowledge that Tigers fans loved his undying loyalty to the city of Detroit.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't care for super star players like Manny that think they deserve 300 million dollars or more. I won't blame the Orioles for not wanting to tie up a huge chunk of their payroll in one player. I would take a team full of Trey Mancini type players than a team full of Machados any day of the week.

A team of players making the major league minimum salary is what you wish for; it's not about talent, clearly. Do you also yearn for a return to the time when owners owned the players and could pay them any rate for the length of their careers. If you want to root for a team because it has a $14MM payroll, then you will be rooting for team that loses 110 games every season. Will knowing that the team's owner pocketed an extra $100MM help you enjoy the losing more?

8 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Not even the Yankees could afford to have a team full of Machados. If you like a team full of high priced super stars then you might as well be a Yankees fan. I will keep rooting for the Orioles. I like it how the Orioles have to work hard to win rather than buy wins.

This is an illogical, emotional response. My saying that a team of Machados would win 75% of games against a team of Mancinis does not imply that I "might as well be a Yankees fan." Suggesting I become a Yankee fan is a vapid taunt.

You say that you "like it how the Orioles have to work hard to win," but they haven't been to a World Series in 35 years. A #16 seed will defeat a #1 seed in the NCAA basketball tournament before "a team full of Trey Mancini type players" goes to the World Series.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny should have said, And youd look good in orange and black, man.

o

Better yet ........ "And you'd look good in orange and black, but I don't say anything, do I ???

o

11 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

And yet people say these group of Yankees are "like-able"

f-school-letter-grade the yanks

I think the narrative was LAST YEAR'S group of Yankees were like-able (compared to years past). I think the Giancarlo move in the offseason thrusted New York back into the Evil Empire status.

I remember a bean ball bench clearing brawl.

Jeter and A-Rod were not teammates, but was standing together and laughing at the kaos on the field.

Both took heat from their teammates, but it is what it is.

I am sure these guys have a bit of conversation while being a base runner at 1st, I would love to be a fly on the wall for that.

3 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Now somebody needs to put Judge on the spot and ask him, Whos position should Manny take?

Come on O’s, shock the world ........ SIGN MANNY !!!

o

o

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think you misinterpreted what I wrote.    I’ve long been on record as saying Manny’s worth more than $300 mm.     I was reacting to the implication that Manny is some self-entitled athlete who “thinks he deserves” $300 mm.    Manny has never said a single thing about what kind of money he “deserves” to make, or even expects to make.     So the other poster was just making assumptions about Manny’s attitude that are not justified based  on anything Manny has said.    That’s what I was referring to.

And I figured that. You may have missed my clumsy attempt at facetiousness.

Edit: I love how AutoCorrect redoubles all my efforts.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

As opposed to the $35-40 mm he’s already made?  :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He’s on the precipice of becoming a multi-millionaire. That’s enough of a reason for me.

;)

Clarification; this was pure sarcasm.  Sometimes I leave out the emoticons. Like to keep y’all guessing.

15 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

This is just another reason to hate the Yankees. I will lose all respect for Machado if he signs with the Yankees. I don't have much respect for him now anyways.

I just flat don't care where he signs. He can sign with the Yankees or the Tokyo Giants Giants for all I care. I've gotten to where I don't give a damn anymore. Thank you Peter for ruining my fandom of nearly  60 years. 

Archived