Cobb only thread

interloper

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it will have enough of an impact that one or more teams will offer less years than they would have otherwise.

Of course it is unprovable.

These are the best claims to make of course, the unprovable ones.  I think he still gets a ton of years and around $300M so I'm not really sure if the debate really matters to anyone......except those that enjoy the art of arguing I guess.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

As he had any hip issue since his hip was repaired?

You would have to admit, hip surgery is not normally a place where pitchers break down.

I think it’s a bigger issue for sidewinders.    We had that guy a few years ago who was a sidearmer with some hip injury history who never made it to the field for us.    I’m blanking on his name, but he was pre-O’Day I believe.    

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s a bigger issue for sidewinders.    We had that guy a few years ago who was a sidearmer with some hip injury history who never made it to the field for us.    I’m blanking on his name, but he was pre-O’Day I believe.    

We had this guy, not the one you was thinking of.

Damn, I forgot he is RIP

23 hours ago, weams said:

My belief is that the Orioles sustainable payroll is in the 125 million dollar range. 

That's probably as reasonable a number as any -- I would tend to put it a little bit higher, I think -- but I'm curious as to how you came up with it.

I think the number would be affected quite a bit by some variables like (a) the outcome of the MASN fee dispute, (b) who owns the team and how much profit (if any) those owners expect to take from the team, and (c) whether a much larger chunk of the revenues are spent, as they should be, on scouting, developing and drafting international free agents. Maybe some other things, too, like whether the promotions and public relations programs are stepped up and, if so, are successful..

On 1/30/2018 at 11:42 AM, interloper said:

A seemingly unthinkable scenario to most of us, probably, but something not at all outside the realm of possibility. Dan was recently quoted at Fanfest saying he appreciates the support from PA, while I believe he stopped short of saying "I'd like to be back". 

What if Dan signs on for another 3 years? Despite Brady seemingly looming weirdly in the background in whatever capacity his nebulous non-job exists in.

How would you feel? What would that mean for the organization going forward? What if Buck was also signed? What if he wasn't? Does this season's success or lack thereof play a role?

This is what happens:

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Try reading I know it's hard for you, but it' was only 4 posts before. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/909912-baltimore-orioles-top-5-candidates-to-be-their-new-gm

I think that in the past six years the  conventional wisdom around MLB -- not necessarily the correct view, but the most common one -- about a GM's areas of competence has changed, making Buck and those with his background and expertise less viable GM candidates in the eyes of most teams. 

Of course , what those around MLB think and do probably matters very little, or not at all, to Peter Angelos, who may not know what's going on around MLB or, if he does, probably doesn't care. If he likes the idea of Buck as the Orioles' GM, and if Buck wants the job, Buck will get the job -- even if no other MLB team would  consider Buck for 20 seconds. 

That's the Oriole Way.

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

That's probably as reasonable a number as any -- I would tend to put it a little bit higher, I think -- but I'm curious as to how you came up with it.

I think the number would be affected quite a bit by some variables like (a) the outcome of the MASN fee dispute, (b) who owns the team and how much profit (if any) those owners expect to take from the team, and (c) whether a much larger chunk of the revenues are spent, as they should be, on scouting, developing and drafting international free agents. Maybe some other things, too, like whether the promotions and public relations programs are stepped up and, if so, are successful..

I will simply state that the Orioles lost money last year coming off three playoff season out of five. That is the best you can hope for. The onetime MLBAM money is gone. MASN is at BEST a stalemate and probably down the road a bankrupt entity with released rights to each team. Cable fees rights ain't going up.  Equity growth is probably a fair ROI and is probably all the owners will ever realize. 

Baltimore is not a growth area now for any entertainment and may take a decade until it becomes a trendy epansion of the Portland, Austin, Nashville, Ashville progression.  PR and promotions wont fix this sick oxen. 

43 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Fun fact:

Wasn't Buck the de facto GM when we signed O'Day?

I seem to recall it was in the brief period after MacPhail left but before we hired Dan.

You’re correct that this was the period in which O’Day was signed. Whether Buck was the de facto GM at the time is hard to say.  

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I will simply state that the Orioles lost money last year coming off three playoff season out of five. That is the best you can hope for. The onetime MLBAM money is gone. MASN is at BEST a stalemate and probably down the road a bankrupt entity with released rights to each team. Cable fees rights ain't going up.  Equity growth is probably a fair ROI and is probably all the owners will ever realize. 

Baltimore is not a growth area now for any entertainment and may take a decade until it becomes a trendy epansion of the Portland, Austin, Nashville, Ashville progression.  PR and promotions wont fix this sick oxen. 

The three time.

Archived