2018 Dylan Bundy

Il BuonO

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, esmd said:

Until he stops giving up 6+ runs once in every 2-3 starts, I remain unconvinced.

2 ER, but the skepticism is obviously warranted. He gave up 4 unearned in the 6th without a ball leaving the infield, unfortunately Wilkerson happened to be in the same infield the baseball was in. 

1 minute ago, Cy Bundy said:

The OH can be unkind to those of us who are excited by improvements. It can be a cold and cruel world for the dangerous OHers who dare to share or care about how we fair. :/

How's the weather up there on the cross?

Nice OP by the way...

I think it’s really cool that he’s going for it with the pitch. Bundy is toughing this season out when he had the option of being shut down. I’m not expert when it comes to scouting, but if he’s out there working on a new pitch, in a MLB game that counts, I think it shows that he’s a gamer. 

Kudos to Bundy. 

If Bundy loses his high school change and replaces it with a Marco Estrada change, he will bring back a lot in a trade. I’ve crushed his change up on this board, @Moose Milliganand I each posted earlier this week that he needed a new one, to see it tonight was a highlight in September that was most unexpected. Bundy was following 92mph FBs with 78mph straight change ups, I imagine the pitch will only get better, it looked exactly like the one Estrada throws. 

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

If Bundy loses his high school change and replaces it with a Marco Estrada change, he will bring back a lot in a trade. I’ve crushed his change up on this board, @Moose Milliganand I each posted earlier this week that he needed a new one, to see it tonight was a highlight in September that was most unexpected. Bundy was following 92mph FBs with 78mph straight change ups, I imagine the pitch will only get better, it looked exactly like the one Estrada throws. 

If he can get back to having 2 plus pitches, maybe the O's should keep him.  The rebuild needs to start w/ somebody.  Archer type extension? 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If he can get back to having 2 plus pitches, maybe the O's should keep him.  The rebuild needs to start w/ somebody.  Archer type extension? 

If Bundy has that change up on Sunday, I’d sign him long term and have that asset in my back pocket for years to come. People can mock the grades I toss out, they are subjective, but I have watched everyone in baseball, with more than 5 starts, on multiple occasions. I’ve seen everyone more than enough to know who to buy in DFS and to know who has what. 

Bundy has a fb that gets buy on spin rate, a curve that he only uses to steal strikes, and used to only have a change to throw as a surprise when nothing else was working. To have 3 average or less offerings, and the K rate he had, it’s hard not to give the slider a 65/70/75 depending on the night. This change up was phenomenal, it wasn’t the Stras/Max drop off the table change, and I knew when he was throwing it because he moved his glove to get his new grip, but even when he gave it away, to guys paid to recognize that stuff, he got swing and misses. It was undeniably a plus pitch tonight, it was deceptive and he could throw it for strikes unlike his split-change that was 6-8mph harder. 

Bundy’s numbers vs the A’s were good, but he was awful, he missed far more spots than he hit and he really had nothing after the 3rd inning. Tonight he was excellent. Dylan, with that change up, can compete with just about anyone. That change will make his fastball play up a bit more and that will allow him to start following some high fastballs with 2 strike curves as well as curves out of the zone now that he can throw another 78mph pitch in the zone. This would open a lot for Bundy, I’d be interested to know who worked with him, this is a nice little gift at the end of the season for those of us who can’t turn our love of the O’s off. 

Dylans change was 78-82 tonight, typically it has been 84-87. He was on MASN showing Jim Palmer how he threw his old change — all he did was split his fingers a bit to take a bit off, it was effective on occasion, but a terrible offering on the whole. This one is a game changer, he could throw this one 25 times, he just has to realize he can throw change ups inside to right handers, he’s always trying to paint outside with the change rather than just trusting the deception of it. The fact that his fb does have top 10 spin rate will make this change even more devastating if he can perfect and trust it. 

I will get some gifs of it tomorrow, it was a shock to the system for me. If he had been traded and started throwing that I’d be sick, so I must give credit to our staff for helping Dylan figure this out with an entire offseason to work on it. Bundy just became a much more valuable player. 

The little things that can bring joy to an O’s fan. I can’t wait for his next start, it will be NY or Boston, an opportunity to go out on a high note.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it’s really cool that he’s going for it with the pitch. Bundy is toughing this season out when he had the option of being shut down. I’m not expert when it comes to scouting, but if he’s out there working on a new pitch, in a MLB game that counts, I think it shows that he’s a gamer. 

Kudos to Bundy. 

I could not agree more. Working on stuff in September is truly investing these opportunities rather than just running out the clock on the 2018 campaign. 

Per fangraphs, Bundy’s average change this year is 84mph, this one is 78 and I’m fairly certain it’s the first time he’s ever used it. If he’s made the move to this new change, this is the worst it should ever be:

ezgif-2-63cfc0eae1.gif

To have ave seen him throwing change ups at 86mph 6 days ago and then see this is a testament to Bundy’s work ethic and competitive spirit. This season is done and he’s reinventing himself on the worst team in Orioles history. 

Bundy didn’t break out his new change up until the 4th inning, I’ll post a few that were more impressive tomorrow.

May the Bundy be strong in my fellow OHers. 

6 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

The OH can be unkind to those of us who are excited by improvements. It can be a cold and cruel world for the dangerous OHers who dare to share or care about how we fair. :/

“Without cruelty there is no festival: thus the longest and most ancient part of human history teaches — and in punishment there is so much that is festive!”

8 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

You didn’t even realize he had a new change up. I did. You learned something because of these dazzling eyes, you are welcome. 

I was aware. His CH was usually five to seven mph differential from his FB. The latest iteration is more than ten mph difference. But good looking out.

Archived