So what’s the deal with the pies?

Rene88

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I haven't read what player or coach stopped it. But maybe some players didn't want to get a piece of pie or cream in their eyes. Maybe some just got tired of it. Hasn't that pie thing been around for nearly 10 years? 

How long has John Denver been around? Man, that is sooo old:) Baseball is a game of traditions..LOL. That logic makes zero sense.

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Folks this is just an old thread topic that Rene88 decided to resurrect, since this is resurrection friday. :):):)

Well played Sir...except today is the day that the pies were crucified. The pies we are talking about...right?:)

Eh, the pies are fine, if they save it for special occasions.  Opening Day, walkoff wins, playoff clinchers, etc.  My favorite all-time one was Markakis getting pied when they clinched the division in 2014.  I don't he minded it a bit that night.  Was glad to see him with the walk-off HR yesterday down south.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Markakis was on the no pie list.

Because, as Adam Jones said at the time, you have to respect your elders.  I seem to recall him getting Markakis at some point. 

I'm also trying to remember which Twitter handle said it, but everyone took off with the "Trumbo hates pies" last year, but that it wasn't him at all.   It just so happened he was the last guy to get pied.  

5 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Because, as Adam Jones said at the time, you have to respect your elders.  I seem to recall him getting Markakis at some point. 

I'm also trying to remember which Twitter handle said it, but everyone took off with the "Trumbo hates pies" last year, but that it wasn't him at all.   It just so happened he was the last guy to get pied.  

On 3/30/2018 at 8:12 AM, Frobby said:

This is one of those legends that grows around here without much basis in fact.    The O’s announced at the start of last year that they weren’t going to do the pies anymore.   For most of the year, they didn’t.    Towards the end of the season, they brought it back.    One of those times, Trumbo got pied and he looked a little irritated about it.     There’s ZERO evidence that he said anything to anybody about it.     But now he’s the bad guy.    It’s ridiculous.

Imagine you’re being interviewed with a camera zeroed in on your face.    All of a sudden someone shoves a pie in your face.    Maybe some gets in your eye.   Maybe some goes up your nose.   Maybe they just shove it in your face a little too hard and you get bonked on the nose.    Don’t you think that maybe — just maybe — you’d show a moment of irritation while the camera was still on you?   And that just maybe, that doesn’t make you a flaming jerk?

I have zero problem with Trumbo’s reaction or anything about Trumbo’s personality.     I just want the guy to hit better than he did last year.    But if he doesn’t, that doesn’t make him a bad guy.

As you don't get pied when you are 0 for 4 with 3 strike outs I would never be irritated getting pied if I were Trumbo if I got pied.   It means you had a good game for a change and the Team won.  

18 hours ago, Rene88 said:

How long has John Denver been around? Man, that is sooo old:) Baseball is a game of traditions..LOL. That logic makes zero sense.

How would you like to have a cream pie get in your eyes. It would sting. Yes baseball has lots of traditions. It still doesn't mean a player  has to like a cream pie being shoved in their face. That's the Three  Stooges type of humor. Maybe you like that kind of humor and that's fine. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

How would you like to have a cream pie get in your eyes. It would sting. Yes baseball has lots of traditions. It still doesn't mean a player  has to like a cream pie being shoved in their face. That's the Three  Stooges type of humor. Maybe you like that kind of humor and that's fine. 

It's part of the excitement. And a fur piece better than having Chocolate sauce poured over your head. 

18 minutes ago, weams said:

It's part of the excitement. And a fur piece better than having Chocolate sauce poured over your head. 

True dat but IMO not better than this....even the Sisco Kid broke out in a guffaw!

Jones%20Walkoff%20Celebration%20Sidebar.

Just now, Catch 8 said:

So, white guys don’t like pies...

This white guy likes pies.   Pecan, Apple, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Cherry, Blueberry, Chocolate, Key Lime.

Much better to eat a pie than watch pies wasted after every Orioles win.  :D

On 3/30/2018 at 8:12 AM, Frobby said:

This is one of those legends that grows around here without much basis in fact.    The O’s announced at the start of last year that they weren’t going to do the pies anymore.   For most of the year, they didn’t.    Towards the end of the season, they brought it back.    One of those times, Trumbo got pied and he looked a little irritated about it.     There’s ZERO evidence that he said anything to anybody about it.     But now he’s the bad guy.    It’s ridiculous.

Imagine you’re being interviewed with a camera zeroed in on your face.    All of a sudden someone shoves a pie in your face.    Maybe some gets in your eye.   Maybe some goes up your nose.   Maybe they just shove it in your face a little too hard and you get bonked on the nose.    Don’t you think that maybe — just maybe — you’d show a moment of irritation while the camera was still on you?   And that just maybe, that doesn’t make you a flaming jerk?

I have zero problem with Trumbo’s reaction or anything about Trumbo’s personality.     I just want the guy to hit better than he did last year.    But if he doesn’t, that doesn’t make him a bad guy.

I don't recall saying it made him a bad guy or a jerk. Trumbo was a name that was floated around most that had complained. This post has a whole lot of words I never associated with Trumbo in my post.

13 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I don't recall saying it made him a bad guy or a jerk. Trumbo was a name that was floated around most that had complained. This post has a whole lot of words I never associated with Trumbo in my post.

Not so much directed at you, though there’s zero evidence that Trumbo “whined” to Buck or anyone else.    There’s been a lot written on this topic in the last six months or so by lots of people.   

Archived