2018 Kevin Gausman

Il BuonO

9 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I’m done being teased by this guy. He’s just not all that good.

Yep. He can stick around as a lower end of the rotation guy during the rebuild, but the ship has sailed on him being a 1, 2, or even a 3 IMO. Way too inconsistent and far too easily flustered for a guy that has been around for a while now. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tbone83 said:

Yep. He can stick around as a lower end of the rotation guy during the rebuild, but the ship has sailed on him being a 1, 2, or even a 3 IMO. Way too inconsistent and far too easily flustered for a guy that has been around for a while now. 

Gausman will be the type of guy that lands a huge FA deal that will haunt some club.  Either that or some team will make a minor adjustment and watch him win a CY Young. 

o

16 OUTS: 9 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout

K.J. GAUSMAN )))))))) (vs. YANKEES, 6/02)

IP:lll5.33

H:llll 9) l(2 Home Runs, 3 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:llll 6

ER:l 6

BB:ll0

SO:ll9

Pitches: l) 97  )(64 )Strikes, )33)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 4.63  )  70.00 IP  (36 ER H/BB) 

2018 WHIP: l) 1.400  )  70.00 IP  (98 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  l) .284 )(81 for 285)

PITCHES BY INNING

16 ll(10 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

23 ll(16 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

19 lll(14 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

12 lll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

13 lll(91 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

14 lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls) ) **

** )) Gausman recorded 1 out before departing in the 6th inning.

o

Honestly, this guy is one of the most frustrating pitchers the Orioles have ever had.    I was watching him in the second inning yesterday, his fastballs zipping in at 95-98 mph with late life.    And somehow, at the end of the inning he’s down 3-1.     Per pitch f/x, he averaged 96.4 yesterday, topping out at 99.4.   But he just doesn’t seem to consistently locate well from game to game.    His breaking stuff has always been mediocre, but you just know there’s a better pitcher in there somewhere.    It’s really aggravating.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, this guy is one of the most frustrating pitchers the Orioles have ever had.    I was watching him in the second inning yesterday, his fastballs zipping in at 95-98 mph with late life.    And somehow, at the end of the inning he’s down 3-1.     Per pitch f/x, he averaged 96.4 yesterday, topping out at 99.4.   But he just doesn’t seem to consistently locate well from game to game.    His breaking stuff has always been mediocre, but you just know there’s a better pitcher in there somewhere.    It’s really aggravating.  

He's a very mediocre pitcher who happens to throw really hard. It's an illusion. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

He's a very mediocre pitcher who happens to throw really hard. It's an illusion. 

As long as you are using the definition of mediocre that means average I agree with you.  He is indeed a league average starting pitcher.

19 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I vacillate between agreeing with you and feeling like he could be much better.   We’ve seen him post ERA’s of 3.57 and 3.61 over a full season.    We’ve seen him post stretches of 3.29 over 19 games, 3.45 over 10 games, 3.10 over 15 games, 2.70 over 14 games.    That guy is in there.   Somewhere.    

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I vacillate between agreeing with you and feeling like he could be much better.   We’ve seen him post ERA’s of 3.57 and 3.61 over a full season.    We’ve seen him post stretches of 3.29 over 19 games, 3.45 over 10 games, 3.10 over 15 games, 2.70 over 14 games.    That guy is in there.   Somewhere.    

That’s just the half of the glass the glass that is full. Unfortunately there’s  also the empty half of the glass. At this point I think Gausman is who he is. 

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As long as you are using the definition of mediocre that means average I agree with you.  He is indeed a league average starting pitcher.

Although the throwing really hard part is the only reason he is average. He offers very little else. 

Archived