Twins bash Gausman, win 7-0

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, atomic said:

You are saying that now.  Wait until Wright's start. 

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, can’t wait.

Heck, you never know with baseball.  I don't like our chances but baseball is a funny game.  Well sometimes, not today.:(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

In all fairness, Barrios and Gibson are pretty good 

Berrios is an emerging star--I was surprised he wasn't their opening day starter.  But Kyle Gibson has had a 5.07 ERA each of the past two seasons.  No way should he be able to dominate the O's offense.  

The O's have yet to score a run against a starting pitcher this season.

The twins come off as scrappy. We come off as a bunch of guys that if they’re not hitting homers they don’t seem interested. 

I like Rasmus, but that was our chance to get a different type of player. Like a Dyson or Jay. 

Mad might have to start giving Valencia AB’s vs RHP. 

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I hope this happens more often so we can get rid of these stupid shifts.

You and my wife. She says it is no fun that way.  Bill Ripken did a Blackboard showing that BABiP has remained constant even with the machinations. 

12 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'd rather Sisco as a young player learn to take what a team gives you and never quit. Just because they are behind by a large margin, doesn't mean Sisco should stop learning.

Dozier gets knocked on his ass next time they play if I'm pitching. There's another code...dont call out my guy in the media 

"He's young"

6 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Berrios is an emerging star--I was surprised he wasn't their opening day starter.  But Kyle Gibson has had a 5.07 ERA each of the past two seasons.  No way should he be able to dominate the O's offense.  

The O's have yet to score a run against a starting pitcher this season.

Yep, getting shut down by Gibson is what worries me.

This weekend really sucked for us as Orioles fans, no doubt. Luckily, we all know the Orioles offense is not going to be this bad all season.

Obviously we got two bad starts out of three, and that's not going to give us a lot of confidence, but I thought Cashner's stuff was actually pretty good, but he left too many pitches up in the zone. 

As for Gausman, the more things change, the more they stay the same. A lack of velocity and bad command is no way to go through life as a major league pitcher. Not sure what he does to prepare himself for starts, but he might want to adjust his routine because the numbers in that first inning are pretty bad.

As for defense, let's just say I don't think this team is going to be a good defensive team overall. Mancini does his best out there and catches everything he gets too, but his lack of range is a problem in the big left field at Camden Yards. Jones has lost a step in center and that's not a step he could afford to lose. Davis looks scary over at first base and after a year in which he was a negative defender, I don't see that improving (Add in his horrors at the plate this series where he didn't hit a ball hard and I'm not sure he may be a major league player anymore.) Beckam looks sketchy at third base as well. Now it's a new position, but his questionable hands have already come into a play a few times at thirdbase. And let's not forget about Manny. His tagging efforts at second base need work.

I know it's hard to judge a team when they play as poorly as the Orioles have played so far this year, but the problems I saw this weekend just confirmed concerns I had going into the season. Now the Orioles will play better then this weekend, and no one should could any team out in April or May, but call me concerned.

As much as we want to see things after drinking a swig of Orange Kool-Aid, this is not a good team. We knew starting pitching was going to be our weak link but we're also not good at timely hitting or even getting hits at all. Sure it's one series but don't be surprised if this is basically what we get all year from the Birds.

I mean honestly, get a list together of players on this team who you think will be excellent this year. My list consists of three players. Machado, Bundy and Givens.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This weekend really sucked for us as Orioles fans, no doubt. Luckily, we all know the Orioles offense is not going to be this bad all season.

Obviously we got to bad starts out of three, and that's not going to give us a lot of confidence, but I thought Cashner's stuff was actually pretty good, but he left too many pitches up in the zone. 

As for Gausman, the more things change, the more they stay the same. A lack of velocity and bad command is no way to go through life as a major league pitcher. Not sure what he does to prepare himself for starts but he might want to adjust his routine because the numbers in that first inning are pretty bad.

As for defense, let's just say I don't think this team is going to be a good defensive team overall. Mancini does his best out there and catches everything he gets too, but his lack of range is a problem in the big left field at Camden Yards. Jones has lost a step in center and that's not a step he could afford to lose. Davis looks scary over at first base and after a year in which he was a negative defender, I don't see that improving (Add in his horrors at the plate this series where he didn't hot a ball hard and I'm not sure he may be a major league player anymore.) Beckam looks sketchy at third base as well. Now it's a new position, but his questionable hands have already come into a play a few times at thirdbase. And let's not forget about Manny. His tagging efforts at second base need work.

I know it's hard to judge a team when they play as poorly as the Orioles have played so far this year, but the problems I saw this weekend just confirmed concerns I had going into the season. Now the Orioles will play better then this weekend, and no one should could any team out in April or May, but call me concerned.

This is all fair comment.   I definitely will be patient in judging the Machado/Beckham tandem.   If they’re struggling defensively in June, I’ll worry about it.   There’s bound to be an adjustment period.

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It would be one thing if the O's were up six and tried to bunt for a hit. Bunting for a hit when you need baserunners is completely strategically appropriate in that situation. Good for Sisco. Hopefully the Twins do not retaliate, that would be an idiotic reason to put someone's career at risk.

Why would the bunt be an issue if we're up by 6?  If they move a fielder to give me less of a chance at a hit, it's utterly within my rights to bunt.  The shift seems very forthright in the sense that the opposing team is saying, we'll give you a dribbler to 3rd anytime so long as you don't pull the ball. 

I've been expecting Davis for about 3 years now to practice bunting down that line.  At the very least, if he managed a few early bunt singles, ala Sisco, maybe they'd stop the shift, allowing him a better chance at pulling a few more for hits.

I just don't understand what the problem with Gausman is. It wasn't just the first inning, he was sitting 92 the entire game. After looking fine all spring. He's quite possibly the most frustrating pitcher I've ever watched in an Orioles uniform. With guys like Daniel Cabrera, he was just never good. Gausman you know he can be good. I don't understand what the underlying reason is behind this Jeckyll and Hyde routine is. Mechanically he looked fine. 

Archived