2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's hard to take the Orioles chances of snatching one of the wildcard spots seriously if Mike Wright is your 5 and Tillman is your 4.  At least for Tillman his track record suggests he could potentially rebound.  

We tried Wright and Tyler Wilson as our 4 and 5 starters in 2016...and that was after he had the job in 2015 and had 9 starts with ERA over 6. 

Mike Wright is NOT a starter....geez, how stubborn and dumb can this management be? I thank God he is out of options...he can go pitch terribly for some other club and that would be  a net gain. 

20 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

We tried Wright and Tyler Wilson as our 4 and 5 starters in 2016...and that was after he had the job in 2015 and had 9 starts with ERA over 6. 

Mike Wright is NOT a starter....geez, how stubborn and dumb can this management be? I thank God he is out of options...he can go pitch terribly for some other club and that would be  a net gain. 

Got to agree here, he has no go to pitch. When he's in trouble nothing he can rely to finish off major league hitters

Just now, Triple Crown said:

Got to agree here, he has no go to pitch. When he's in trouble nothing he can rely to finish off major league hitters

He has the classic characteristic of bad pitchers...when things are not going well in an inning, they tense up and throw it to exactly the wrong spot and watch it get clocked.  Mike Wright is Jason Berken  basically and a hundred others we have given rotation spots to in the days of finishing last.....AAAA,  not good enough. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Buck reallllllly downplayed the outing in some of his quotes in the latest Roch blog. Which, I dunno, I find a little weird. Where's the criticism for Bundy's 10 runs in 4.1 IP so far? 

It’s Buck’s nature to be a contrarian.   Never get on a guy too much after a bad outing, find things to nitpick after a good one.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s Buck’s nature to be a contrarian.   Never get on a guy too much after a bad outing, find things to nitpick after a good one.

That and good results don’t always mean good pitching and vice versa.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

That and good results don’t always mean good pitching and vice versa.

That too.    Even Wright’s self-evaluation of this game seemed to concede he was just decent today.  

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mike Wright also loses his compsure at the first sign of trouble.  If he could keep calm it would be a big boost.  

He didn’t today when he got in trouble in the first inning, but of course spring training’s not exactly the best test of that.  

I found something encouraging to share. While Mike Wright compiled promising statistics at Norfolk from 2015 through 2017, he also improved in certain ways at the major league level:
(MLB stats)

YEAR              H/9               BB/9                     k/9
2015               10.5               3.6                         5.2
2016                 9.8               3.1                         6.0
2017                 9.4               2.5                        10.1

Oh, we can diS.S.S.miss the trends, since the ratios reflect 44.2, 74.2 and (gulp) 25.0 innings pitched, respectively. Every ratio is improving, just like you'd want to see, though. Fact is, those results could work if not for these: 1.8; 1.4; 1.8. Those are his MLB ratios for HR/9. Maybe a new grip can help him find an "out pitch." It's not often enough that I wax optimistically about a player who has yet to convince me, but if Wright could provide the following, this would be a successful year:
2018                10.0              3.0                           9.0           over 120 IPs
...if he can keep down the HR/9 to equal-or-less-than 1.1. Shuttled between spot starts, long relief, middle relief, and ROOGY work Wright could be a positive to the team if he can keep the ball in the park.

#h8turnt2<34#24

Archived