Replay question (Mancini replay call)

Hallas

I just watched the replay, and in slo-mo, the laces from the mitt certainly touched before Mancini's hand did, but the body of the glove was really questionable and not conclusive.  Does anyone know if "glove" includes any part of the glove, including extraneous laces and other things sticking out from it? (I could imagine a loose piece of tape muddying a replay call as well.)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hallas said:

I just watched the replay, and in slo-mo, the laces from the mitt certainly touched before Mancini's hand did, but the body of the glove was really questionable and not conclusive.  Does anyone know if "glove" includes any part of the glove, including extraneous laces and other things sticking out from it? (I could imagine a loose piece of tape muddying a replay call as well.)

Laces are not enough for an out. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/82538300

3 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Laces are not enough for an out. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/82538300

Wow.  And they overturned that?  That's horse poop.  No way you can convince me that there's conclusive evidence to overturn there.

edit to add: I just rewatched it, and Mancini's hand hits the plate in the same frame that the tag is applied.  So unless they've got a 120 FPS feed that they are hiding from us, that was a bad overturn.

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

About as close as you can get, but how do you overturn the call on the field without ‘conclusive evidence’? I saw nothing to overturn after repeated viewings.

I agree. That’s just NYY getting over on us in the 2nd inning of a 4 game series. I’m thinking that’s what woke us up. 

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. That’s just NYY getting over on us in the 2nd inning of a 4 game series. I’m thinking that’s what woke us up. 

1st inning.    But we didn’t wake up until Judge hit his homer in the 6th.

43 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I also have a question. It looked like the umpire was waiting to see if NY wanted to challenge the play. Should this be happening? Do you get a certain amount of time to ask for a challenge?

I believe it's supposed to be 30 seconds.  

13 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So after every single play, there is supposed to be a 30 second delay just in case anyone wants to challenge it?

Theoretically yes, though I think that's a pretty informal limit.  Of course the vast majority of plays are not at all questionable.

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Theoretically yes, though I think that's a pretty informal limit.  Of course the vast majority of plays are not at all questionable.

Unless John Gibbons is the manager.   That guy would ask for a replay to see if the sun really rose in the East.

Archived