Cortes is DFA'd, Ramirez brought up

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, you gotta imagine Tillman is getting the start Friday and Wright will stay in the pen. That still doesn't solve our Tillman problem. Hopefully Hess will continue to throw well in AAA and become an option.

We’re really short on RH pitching depth in the minors. On the left side we have Hart, Joely, Edgin, Scott, Fry, Aquino. We’ve lost a lot since last year. 

Hypothetically, what would it have cost to just trade for the rule 5 guys we drafted?  Especially Mesa and Cortes?  These guys are going to be second tier relievers in AA for the Yankees. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, you gotta imagine Tillman is getting the start Friday and Wright will stay in the pen. That still doesn't solve our Tillman problem. Hopefully Hess will continue to throw well in AAA and become an option.

Hopefully, Tillman solves our Tillman problem by pitching better.   Not that I’m holding my breath.   

1 minute ago, interloper said:

We used Cortes pretty poorly but it's also fairly clear his stuff just isn't going to play. 

I wouldn’t write the guy off completely.   A guy like that has to have plus command, and he just didn’t have it this season, after showing it in the minors.    But he might find it again in the future.    Hope so for his sake, but not if he’s with the Yankees.

• Thanks 1

I am pleasantly surprised by the Orioles' move. Nothing against Cortes, but he just couldn't get hitters out. I'm pleasantly surprised because DD seems to drag out these roster crunch decisions as long as humanly possible and then some to avoid giving someone away. It's good to see them make a timely decision in this case. It's mainly shuffling the chairs on the Titanic, but at least it's a decisive shuffling of the chairs. 

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Is Hunter Harvey still up?

I liked Cortes, but it is hard to put a young pitcher in an environment like that and expect results. The fact that Araujo has performed as well as he has is great. 

He had half a dozen starts in AAA last year.  It isn't like they pulled him out of A ball.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had half a dozen starts in AAA last year.  It isn't like they pulled him out of A ball.

Yeah. I may have had the two mixed up. 

I wonder why Araujo never made it above AA? What I can tell, it looks like that was a short stint in AA.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

We used Cortes pretty poorly but it's also fairly clear his stuff just isn't going to play. 

We brought him in as a 3rd lefty out of the pen to face a LH batter twice. He gave up 7 inherited runs in those situations. 

He wasn’t that great in ST. He only made the team because of lack of SP options and LH long relief options.  

We hamstrung our 40 man roster all off season for a guy that isn’t as good as other LH such as Hart, Edgin, Aquino, Joely, Scott, Fry. 

Our 25 man roster is finally rounding into form. 

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re really short on RH pitching depth in the minors. On the left side we have Hart, Joely, Edgin, Scott, Fry, Aquino. We’ve lost a lot since last year. 

Hypothetically, what would it have cost to just trade for the rule 5 guys we drafted?  Especially Mesa and Cortes?  These guys are going to be second tier relievers in AA for the Yankees. 

I actually think they should give Aquino a shot as the long guy if he starts throwing well for a bit down in Norfolk. His stuff is better than Cortes and he always seemed to be pretty good the first time through an order. He needs to be better against lefties though.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I actually think they should give Aquino a shot as the long guy if he starts throwing well for a bit down in Norfolk. His stuff is better than Cortes and he always seemed to be pretty good the first time through an order. He needs to be better against lefties though.

Aquino as a long man would make sense, but I wouldn't recommend it. When he's off, dude throws more meatballs than an angry Italian. 

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s disappointing that Cortes didn’t perform better; I was really rooting for him to succeed.    I hope he succeeds in the future, but I’m comfortable with the decision to DFA him.    I’m guessing no other team will claim him, and the Yankees will buy him back for $50 k.

He is a lefty and breathing.

Another team will take a flyer on him. I dont think he is done for, just not ready yet.