National League rules stink!!!!!

Tony-OH

The AL losing a hitter is a hell of a lot bigger disadvantage than the NL getting another hitter who isn't "technically" a DH. It's really no contest in my opinion.

"Ain't the same ballpark. Ain't the same league...ain't even the same ****ing sport."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AL losing a hitter is a hell of a lot bigger disadvantage than the NL getting another hitter who isn't "technically" a DH. It's really no contest in my opinion.

"Ain't the same ballpark. Ain't the same league...ain't even the same ****ing sport."

Do you have anything to base this on?

MASN showed a stat last week that said AL pitcher and DH's were outhitting the NL's in interleague games this year. ot a uge sample size, but I can't say that it surprises me (especially the DH part).

AL teams are looking for a DH when setting up a roster. NL teams aren't. Not only that, but NL teams aren't getting pitcher based upon their ability to hit. There are plenty of guys in the AL who can hit.

I have to disagree with this. You are talking about the NL putting in a fourth outfielder against one of the better hitters from another team. That's a much bigger disadvantage then POSSIBLY losing your DH's bat.

At least when the AL goes to the national league parks they have the option of putting their DH in the field somewhere.

This is a ridiculous post. Sailor Jerry simply shared his view that he prefers NL ball and enjoys the purity of it... and you hit him with this garbage? You should be ashamed to post that.

I think it was just hyoerbole.

...but the essense of it is that times change, standards change, expectations change. Holding onto something just for nostalgia or for the sake of symmetry isn't a good enough argument for some people.

I absolutely and utterly hate the archaic rules of the National League. Besides the novelty factor of watching horrible hitters try and not embarrass themselves, but we get the added bonus of watching our pitchers get tired and then have to go pitch.

The National League is the only league left that still does not use a DH. At the very least they should allow DHs when an AL team comes into town for inter-league play. We've already seen one pitcher (The Yankees Wang) get hurt and others have probably tweaked things trying to do something they don't normally do.

BTW, a double switch is not rocket science or such extreme strategy that it should overcome adding an extra hitter. On top of it all, is it really strategy to pitch around the 8th hitter in order to face the pitcher? Nope....

If the National league wants to play with their ridiculous rules, be my guest, but how about you not force the AL teams to go back in your time warp and allow the teams to use a DH.

Ok, rant over. :D

What stinks is the way AL managers don't adjust to NL rules in NL parks.

They don't understand that the NL game is vastly different from the AL game. You can't play AL baseball in an NL park. It is much harder for the AL manager to adjust than the opposite. An NL manager can make the adjustment easier when they play in an AL park.

What I don't understand is why the AL managers haven't learned this? After all, this is not the first year of Inter-league play.

But I must say that some modifications to the interleague rules should be made, I just don't know what they should be.

They don't understand that the NL game is vastly different from the AL game. You can't play AL baseball in an NL park. It is much harder for the AL manager to adjust than the opposite. An NL manager can make the adjustment easier when they play in an AL park.

What I don't understand is why the AL managers haven't learned this? After all, this is not the first year of Inter-league play.

But I must say that some modifications to the interleague rules should be made, I just don't know what they should be.

Why do you think that is?

I have to disagree with this. You are talking about the NL putting in a fourth outfielder against one of the better hitters from another team. That's a much bigger disadvantage then POSSIBLY losing your DH's bat.

At least when the AL goes to the national league parks they have the option of putting their DH in the field somewhere.

Getting to have an actual hitter bat for your crappy hitting pitcher is a much bigger disadvantage than losing an actual hitter and gaining a crappy hitting pitcher? I'll never understand that one. You guys say that NL teams don't set themselves up to have a DH, well AL teams don't set themselves up to not have a DH. When the NL team is playing at the AL team, the NL team has a definite advantage over an AL team playing at the NL team. I don't care how "un DH-like" their bench players are, they're undoubtedly better than the average hitting pitcher.

Getting to have an actual hitter bat for your crappy hitting pitcher is a much bigger disadvantage than losing an actual hitter and gaining a crappy hitting pitcher? I'll never understand that one. You guys say that NL teams don't set themselves up to have a DH, well AL teams don't set themselves up to not have a DH. When the NL team is playing at the AL team, the NL team has a definite advantage over an AL team playing at the NL team. I don't care how "un DH-like" their bench players are, they're undoubtedly better than the average hitting pitcher.

I agree....but the difference is much smaller because pitchers aren't choosen based on their ability to hit. That's my point. Skill wise, there are just as many talented hitters in the AL as the NL. NL pitchers are just a little more prepared. Most pitchers are bunting whenever there is a runner on first anyway and are out of the game by the 7th at the latest.

The difference between an AL DH and an NL extra hitter > the difference between an NL pitcher and an AL pitcher.

Yesterday, CC Sabatia hit what Charlie Steiner called "the longest HR hit in Dodger stadium this year." Do you think he could lay down a decent bunt? Just beacuse a guy is in the AL doesn't mean he can't hit.

If someone wants to post some #'s to show that the difference between an NL pitcher and AL pitcher is montorous, I'll certainly change my stance....or, if someone wants to show that the DH in interleague games does not favor the AL, I'd like to see that too. Like I said, MASN showed a stat that said this year both AL pitchers and DH are outhitting the NL's (yes I know, 'sample size').

The difference between an AL DH and an NL extra hitter > the difference between an NL pitcher and an AL pitcher.

I think to address LedZepp, it should read this way:

The difference between an AL DH and an NL extra hitter > the difference of POSSIBLY not having your DH in the lineup.

Obviously the pitchers are going give the NL a very small advantage at best.

And you can still use the DH, if he doesn't start of course, as a pinch hitter in a key spot later.

This thread is the funniest one on this whole site right now. I can't believe how animated and almost hostile people are over interleague play! It will all be over soon and then things will go back to normal. Wow, I find the whole thing totally amusing but maybe that's just me, LOL :laughlol:

I don't really have a preference. DH or no DH, I just want to see a good baseball game. I grew up with the Reds so I'm not used to seeing a DH but whether I see a game between two AL teams, two NL teams, or an interleague game, I just enjoy seeing a good game so the rules don't matter that much to me. :)

I agree....but the difference is much smaller because pitchers aren't choosen based on their ability to hit. That's my point. Skill wise, there are just as many talented hitters in the AL as the NL. NL pitchers are just a little more prepared. Most pitchers are bunting whenever there is a runner on first anyway and are out of the game by the 7th at the latest.

Yesterday, CC Sabatia hit what Charlie Steiner called "the longest HR hit in Dodger stadium this year." Do you think he could lay down a decent bunt? Just beacuse a guy is in the AL doesn't mean he can't hit.

If someone wants to post some #'s to show that the difference between an NL pitcher and AL pitcher is montorous, I'll certainly change my stance....or, if someone wants to show that the DH in interleague games does not favor the AL, I'd like to see that too. Like I said, MASN showed a stat that said this year both AL pitchers and DH are outhitting the NL's (yes I know, 'sample size').

It's not the point of whether or not NL pitchers hit better than AL pitchers. The point is that is how the NL plays all year long, it's nothing to them to have an automatic out in the lineup. When they play in an AL park it's icing on the cake to be able to plug in just a replacement level player to hit instead of the pitcher. AL teams have to change everything they do all year for a few series in NL parks and make due without a hitter.

This thread is the funniest one on this whole site right now. I can't believe how animated and almost hostile people are over interleague play! It will all be over soon and then things will go back to normal. Wow, I find the whole thing totally amusing but maybe that's just me, LOL :laughlol:

I don't really have a preference. DH or no DH, I just want to see a good baseball game. I grew up with the Reds so I'm not used to seeing a DH but whether I see a game between two AL teams, two NL teams, or an interleague game, I just enjoy seeing a good game so the rules don't matter that much to me. :)

I'm with you, kiddo. I don't see the point of having the P pretend to hit, but I also think it's kind of a BS thing that the DH doesn't really have to play either. So, to me neither one is absolutely perfect. But they're both perfect-enough for me. I spent about 20+ years in Georgia, more or less by accident, and so I spent lots of time watching the Braves. It was still baseball. Once you're watching the game and following the team, it is what it is. I didn't mind. (To their credit, for much of that time, the Braves SP's had a little batting-title thing going on among themselves, so at least they tried. But they were still lousy hitters.)

I'm with you, kiddo. I don't see the point of having the P pretend to hit, but I also think it's kind of a BS thing that the DH doesn't really have to play either. So, to me neither one is absolutely perfect. But they're both perfect-enough for me. I spent about 20+ years in Georgia, more or less by accident, and so I spent lots of time watching the Braves. It was still baseball. Once you're watching the game and following the team, it is what it is. I didn't mind. (To their credit, for much of that time, the Braves SP's had a little batting-title thing going on among themselves, so at least they tried. But they were still lousy hitters.)

Pitchers are usually lousy hitters but I get a kick out of watching a pitcher get a hit and even better, when they get an RBI. I think all the Reds starting pitchers have at least one RBI so far this year. :) Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez have had this whole batting thing going on this season and when Volquez got his first hit, Cueto was ALL about getting a hit too so he could keep up with him. He was swinging for the rafters for a while there! :D When he finally did get that hit (and an RBI to boot!), those two guys were a hoot in the dugout! Sometimes its just entertaining watching how seriously the pitchers sometimes take their at bats. They want SO badly to get a hit when they get a chance and on the rare times that they do, they're almost as excited as when they pitch a great game. Bronson has FOUR HRs as a Red which I think is hilarious because he's a riot when he runs around the bases, LOL :laughlol:

They're probably sitting there rolling their eyes, saying to themselves "I can't believe I have to play with these stupid rules" and counting the games until they can get back to civilization.

I know that's what I'd be doing if I were sitting in that "damn foxhole".

Please, the NL game isn't "vastly different". It's baseball with a gimp hitting 9th and more pitching changes. Gimme a break, it's a joke.

Please, the NL game isn't "vastly different". It's baseball with a gimp hitting 9th and more pitching changes. Gimme a break, it's a joke.

From Merriam-Webster (the same source that says that the verb "b*tch" is not a bad word ;-)

Main Entry: gimp

Function: noun

Etymology: origin unknown

Date: 1925

1 : cripple

2 : limp <walks with a gimp — Damon Runyon>

— gimpy \ˈgim-pē\ adjective

So, I guess you're referring to the P's batting *after* they injure themselves running the bases ;-)

Archived