Time to put Manny back at 3rd and Beckham back at ss

forphase1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I am of the opinion that Manny is more valuable in a trade as a shortstop.  He's shown he has the ability to play there, and that's where they should leave him.

I don't think moving him back to third, when Beckham is obviously the problem, will hurt his trade value.

Manny is not going to re-sign here and I seriously doubt his trade value is enhanced by half of a season at SS.  If the Orioles had a spine they would have told Manny he can play third or he can re-sign and play shortstop.  Instead, they catered to a player who is not going to be here beyond this season, or maybe the All Star break, to the detriment of the team.  Yet another reason this organization is poorly run.

1 minute ago, Burg said:

Manny is not going to re-sign here and I seriously doubt his trade value is enhanced by half of a season at SS.  If the Orioles had a spine they would have told Manny he can play third or he can re-sign and play shortstop.  Instead, they catered to a player who is not going to be here beyond this season, or maybe the All Star break, to the detriment of the team.  Yet another reason this organization is poorly run.

Buck has become the ultimate players manager, they do whatever they want, especially if they have achieved veteran status

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, signing another guy in decline to a long term contract would have been the move to make.

...but Moustakas only signed a one year deal right? I agree locking him up long term wouldn't have made sense for a seemingly directionless team, but if they could have gotten him on a 1 year deal it might have been worth it. And I'm not a big Moustakas guy, I just don't think Beckham is a full time MLB player. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Manny wanted to move to Shortstop as he thought it helped his free agent value. Evidently he is running the team. 

Manny has repeatedly said it has nothing to do with his pending free agency, that SS is his natural position and he loves playing there.   I completely believe that.

I also believe Buck agreed to move Manny there both because Manny wanted it badly (after waiting patiently during the Hardy era) and because he thought it would be the best defensive alignment for the team.    If Buck didn’t believe that, then he shouldn’t have moved him.  And I don’t believe he would have, if he didn’t think it was the best alignment.

Now personally, I would have preferred to keep Beckham at SS, because Manny will be gone next year and we need to find out if Beckham can play SS or not.    But Buck made his decision, and I continue to say we won’t be able to judge whether he was right until mid-season.    I expected some rough patches in the early going, and we’re getting them.   I also expect it will get better.    The 5-14 start is magnifying every mistake, but I don’t think our record would be any different if Beckham were at SS and Manny at 3B.

59 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Buck has become the ultimate players manager, they do whatever they want, especially if they have achieved veteran status

The inmates are running the asylum. It may help for a while to be a player's manager but eventually it backfires on you.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny has repeatedly said it has nothing to do with his pending free agency, that SS is his natural position and he loves playing there.   I completely believe that.

I also believe Buck agreed to move Manny there both because Manny wanted it badly (after waiting patiently during the Hardy era) and because he thought it would be the best defensive alignment for the team.    If Buck didn’t believe that, then he shouldn’t have moved him.  And I don’t believe he would have, if he didn’t think it was the best alignment.

Now personally, I would have preferred to keep Beckham at SS, because Manny will be gone next year and we need to find out if Beckham can play SS or not.    But Buck made his decision, and I continue to say we won’t be able to judge whether he was right until mid-season.    I expected some rough patches in the early going, and we’re getting them.   I also expect it will get better.    The 5-14 start is magnifying every mistake, but I don’t think our record would be any different if Beckham were at SS and Manny at 3B.

Image result for sanity gif

38 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...but Moustakas only signed a one year deal right? I agree locking him up long term wouldn't have made sense for a seemingly directionless team, but if they could have gotten him on a 1 year deal it might have been worth it. And I'm not a big Moustakas guy, I just don't think Beckham is a full time MLB player. 

I'm not in the camp that thinks free agents will sign identical deals with the O's that they signed with other teams.

3 hours ago, forphase1 said:

After seeing Beckham miss two more bad plays already in this game, and it's only the 2nd inning, I think it's clear this experiment needs to stop.  I don't really care about what Manny wants, we need to do what's best for the team.  And that's having Manny at 3rd and Beckham at Shortstop.  While we certainly have other issues on the team, this is a glaring issue and needs resolved.  

Beckham should be on the bench. 200+ SO Infielder. 

Archived