Jim Thome for Hitting Coach

Oriol3s

I know the offense scored some runs in Detroit, but Detroit pitching isn't very good.  The lineup has looked lost all season.  Something needs to change.

Who better for this roster than a guy who hit a ton of home runs, struck out plenty, but also knew how to TAKE A WALK?

Buck always spoke highly of him as coaching material.

Thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

I know the offense scored some runs in Detroit, but Detroit pitching isn't very good.  The lineup has looked lost all season.  Something needs to change.

Who better for this roster than a guy who hit a ton of home runs, struck out plenty, but also knew how to TAKE A WALK?

Buck always spoke highly of him as coaching material.

Thoughts?

I think he already has two jobs.

At a certain point, the core of this team is a bunch of veterans - I'm not sure how much you're going to be able to make them change their approach. Hopefully, upcoming hitters like Sisco, Hays, and Mountcastle have approaches that value on base percentage more.

I'd also love to have Thome as a coach. I think he could be a good manager, too.

1) Does Thome want to coach?

2) Do we know if he has good teaching skills?

3) Does he have any coaching experience?

4) Just because someone has a characteristic as a batter (ability to judge the strike zone, patience, etc) doesn't mean that he can impart that to someone else.  It's an ability. 

I mean, let's hire Nolan Ryan as pitching coach while we're at it, our strikeouts will go way up.   And Ozzie Smith as infield coach, that will fix Beckham in no time.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

1) Does Thome want to coach?

2) Do we know if he has good teaching skills?

3) Does he have any coaching experience?

4) Just because someone has a characteristic as a batter (ability to judge the strike zone, patience, etc) doesn't mean that he can impart that to someone else.  It's an ability. 

I mean, let's hire Nolan Ryan as pitching coach while we're at it, our strikeouts will go way up.   And Ozzie Smith as infield coach, that will fix Beckham in no time.

Will the White Sox let him out of his front office job?

The man is already employed by another team.

27 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's almost as if assembling a lineup full of free swinging low OBP hackers isn't conducive to scoring runs consistently and is a bad idea.

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's no one that can wave a magic wand and cure what ails this team.  

Just because no one has come up with a magic wand yet doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying.  I just saw this ad on the Facebook yesterday that said "This one weird trick makes it simple to hit Major League Pitching."  Maybe Buck should click on it.

Archived