Time to start DFA people

atomic

The team can't keep playing Satander.  We have 3 legit outfield prospects between Norfolk and Bowie.  Pick somebody and bring them up. Or bring two guys up.  Whatever it is one thing to hide a Rule 25 guy on the Roster and another to make him your starting right fielder when he cannot hit.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, atomic said:

The team can't keep playing Satander.  We have 3 legit outfield prospects between Norfolk and Bowie.  Pick somebody and bring them up. Or bring two guys up.  Whatever it is one thing to hide a Rule 25 guy on the Roster and another to make him your starting right fielder when he cannot hit.

But if they keep Santander a bit longer they can send him down and never bring him back up.

Just think how bad things would be if they didn't keep Jason Garcia.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if they keep Santander a bit longer they can send him down and never bring him back up.

Just think how bad things would be if they didn't keep Jason Garcia.

Funny thing is Jason Garcia was younger and actually somewhat productive.  It is comical that they are starting Satander every night.  If they think he has such a great future send a pitcher down instead.  With the starters pitching better we don't have enough innings for everyone anyway.

I'm not sure how this team wasn't able to compete.

I mean normal contenders build their rosters with:
3 x Rule 5 guys... (Is this a record for a non-expansion team?)
4 x Non Roster Invitees (these are guys no one wanted to give a major league contract to)
2 x Platoon DHs (Alvarez and Valencia - Yes Valencia has a glove and has been used, but he's a break glass in case of emergency fielder.)
1 x starter with an 8+ ERA the year before
0 x shut down late inning relievers (In fairness Britton is hurt)

This team has zero depth so injuries to Schoop and Mancini was pretty much the death nail, though in fairness, even if they were still healthy, it's doubtful there would be much change.

It's the Orioles kind of rebuild. Keep all your expensive players, don't trade the ones that have value, and surround them with rebuilding type players.

11 hours ago, atomic said:

It would be dumb to DFA Santander after all this time. Santander has a chance to be a good player, he just needs more time. This team is going no where, why give away a guy after investing this much time in trying to keep him. This team isn't a Santander upgrade away from being a contender.

It isn't like Santander is killing us, last night he smoked the ball twice without any luck. I don't feel any differently when he is up vs. anyone else on the team right now (outside of manny). He almost gives me more hope than most, to be honest.

I've never been real high on Santander, but at this point, no sense in releasing him.  If you think he has any potential at all let him run out the string up here and then send him down.  It stinks that they're in a position where he needs to be getting so many ABs.

27 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

It isn't like Santander is killing us, last night he smoked the ball twice without any luck. I don't feel any differently when he is up vs. anyone else on the team right now (outside of manny). He almost gives me more hope than most, to be honest.

I’m certainly not suggesting Santander is the only one killing us, but he’s certainly one of the players who’s killing us.   He has a .448 OPS, second worst among the starters (Caleb is worst).   He’s been worth -0.6 rWAR which is third worst among the position players (Jones and Caleb are worse).    If it weren’t for his Rule 5 status, the O’s certainly would have sent him to the minors by now.   In fact, if he was a regular Rule 5 guy who had to spend 90 days here this year, I think the O’s would have given up on him by now.   But at this point they’ll probably hang on for another 3 weeks and then demote him immediately.    I do think he has some potential, but he’s way overmatched right now.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m certainly not suggesting Santander is the only one killing us, but he’s certainly one of the players who’s killing us.   He has a .448 OPS, second worst among the starters (Caleb is worst).   He’s been worth -0.6 rWAR which is third worst among the position players (Jones and Caleb are worse).    If it weren’t for his Rule 5 status, the O’s certainly would have sent him to the minors by now.   In fact, if he was a regular Rule 5 guy who had to spend 90 days here this year, I think the O’s would have given up on him by now.   But at this point they’ll probably hang on for another 3 weeks and then demote him immediately.    I do think he has some potential, but he’s way overmatched right now.   

Is that just on the team or in the league? 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like Santander.   I'm guessing losing almost an entire season to injury/inactivity hasn't helped his cause much.  With where this team is right now, a 22 year-old Mickey Mantle isn't helping them enough to win.  Keeping him in the system is worth having him here now.  Hopefully, he can go down to Bowie and find himself, then work himself into a call up at some point.

Satander is a joke as our right fielder.. We have outfield prospects and I would rather see them instead of him. I don't care about his potential as he has shown nothing.  You need to get rid of the dead wood.  Also it will be a warning sign to the other players.  Start producing or you are going to be trying to find some spot on a minor league team.  He is 23 1/2.  Its not like he is some young superstar in the making.  You can't have pitcher type hitting out of your starting right fielder. 

If you are keeping Satander as your right fielder you have basically given up on the season 100 percent not trying. If so release Valencia and Pedro and bring up some of the prospects.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure how this team wasn't able to compete.

I mean normal contenders build their rosters with:
3 x Rule 5 guys... (Is this a record for a non-expansion team?)
4 x Non Roster Invitees (these are guys no one wanted to give a major league contract to)
2 x Platoon DHs (Alvarez and Valencia - Yes Valencia has a glove and has been used, but he's a break glass in case of emergency fielder.)
1 x starter with an 8+ ERA the year before
0 x shut down late inning relievers (In fairness Britton is hurt)

This team has zero depth so injuries to Schoop and Mancini was pretty much the death nail, though in fairness, even if they were still healthy, it's doubtful there would be much change.

It's the Orioles kind of rebuild. Keep all your expensive players, don't trade the ones that have value, and surround them with rebuilding type players.

Add in Davis and Trumbo, both with expensive contracts on the downside of their careers, and you pretty much have a dumpster fire.

A normal front office might look at the Orioles roster and say it's time for a rebuild.  Instead, the Orioles decided to "go for it" with very little chance of success.  The signings of Cobb and Cashner (two over age 30 pitchers) to multi-year contracts were real head-scratchers.

The proper organizational move was to sell off as many of the Orioles assets for whatever they could get for them in terms of prospects in the offseason, and not commit any new money to free agents over 30.  We will get a few more wins with Machado, Cashner, Cobb, etc. on the roster through the first half of the season, but the spending for these players and the wins added actually are counter-productive to a rebuilding team.  The Orioles are not good this year, and our future has been set back by delaying our rebuilding process.  The Orioles really suck at sucking.

Archived