Time to start DFA people

atomic

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m certainly not suggesting Santander is the only one killing us, but he’s certainly one of the players who’s killing us.   He has a .448 OPS, second worst among the starters (Caleb is worst).   He’s been worth -0.6 rWAR which is third worst among the position players (Jones and Caleb are worse).    If it weren’t for his Rule 5 status, the O’s certainly would have sent him to the minors by now.   In fact, if he was a regular Rule 5 guy who had to spend 90 days here this year, I think the O’s would have given up on him by now.   But at this point they’ll probably hang on for another 3 weeks and then demote him immediately.    I do think he has some potential, but he’s way overmatched right now.   

Not to mention Hays and Mullins aren't really hitting anyway, nor are our slew of veteran AAA outfielders. So who cares, play Santander until his 44 days are up. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not to mention Hays and Mullins aren't really hitting anyway, nor are our slew of veteran AAA outfielders. So who cares, play Santander until his 44 days are up. 

DJ Stewart has a .382 OBP at Norfolk.  I would like to give him a chance.  He has always shown the ability to get on base. 

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m certainly not suggesting Santander is the only one killing us, but he’s certainly one of the players who’s killing us.   He has a .448 OPS, second worst among the starters (Caleb is worst).   He’s been worth -0.6 rWAR which is third worst among the position players (Jones and Caleb are worse).    If it weren’t for his Rule 5 status, the O’s certainly would have sent him to the minors by now.   In fact, if he was a regular Rule 5 guy who had to spend 90 days here this year, I think the O’s would have given up on him by now.   But at this point they’ll probably hang on for another 3 weeks and then demote him immediately.    I do think he has some potential, but he’s way overmatched right now.   

Yeah he's definitely hurting. I guess my point was that, we have a lot of guys on the team who look overmatched. He'll definitely go down right away. If we were doing really well and had more than 2 hitters with an OPS over .700, and he stuck out like a sore thumb, then I would be concerned about whether this is worth it. With the way things are going, I think its a no brainer now to keep him until his date. He's fitting right in, sadly. I was worried about having Santander on the roster for this period, that is one of the only things I don't worry about anymore with this team.

26 minutes ago, atomic said:

Satander is a joke as our right fielder.. We have outfield prospects and I would rather see them instead of him. I don't care about his potential as he has shown nothing.  You need to get rid of the dead wood.  Also it will be a warning sign to the other players.  Start producing or you are going to be trying to find some spot on a minor league team.  He is 23 1/2.  Its not like he is some young superstar in the making.  You can't have pitcher type hitting out of your starting right fielder. 

If you are keeping Satander as your right fielder you have basically given up on the season 100 percent not trying. If so release Valencia and Pedro and bring up some of the prospects.

If Hays was hitting the way he did last year, I might agree with calling him up and forgetting Santander.   But Hays is struggling a bit at Bowie, and didn’t hit major league pitching well last September or this spring.    It sucks, but I think we just need to suck it up with Santander for 3 more weeks and then try something else.  

29 minutes ago, nadecir said:

Add in Davis and Trumbo, both with expensive contracts on the downside of their careers, and you pretty much have a dumpster fire.

A normal front office might look at the Orioles roster and say it's time for a rebuild.  Instead, the Orioles decided to "go for it" with very little chance of success.  The signings of Cobb and Cashner (two over age 30 pitchers) to multi-year contracts were real head-scratchers.

The proper organizational move was to sell off as many of the Orioles assets for whatever they could get for them in terms of prospects in the offseason, and not commit any new money to free agents over 30.  We will get a few more wins with Machado, Cashner, Cobb, etc. on the roster through the first half of the season, but the spending for these players and the wins added actually are counter-productive to a rebuilding team.  The Orioles are not good this year, and our future has been set back by delaying our rebuilding process.  The Orioles really suck at sucking.

I have no issue with Cashner and Cobb being here. The club needed innings eaters and there is no one in he minors ready yet. I still think Cobb will turn out fine.  

I think it is possible to try to do both if there is a real plan in place. Who knows if there is. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Hays was hitting the way he did last year, I might agree with calling him up and forgetting Santander.   But Hays is struggling a bit at Bowie, and didn’t hit major league pitching well last September or this spring.    It sucks, but I think we just need to suck it up with Santander for 3 more weeks and then try something else.  

I have no desire in a lost season to burn a service year of Hays. They should be getting close to where they can call him up though. 

The Santander issue goes back to Rasmus. I thought all winter long that Santander would get little playing time and then go back down. He has improved his defense -how good he is is debatable- but not having a useful RF is the issue. 

31 minutes ago, atomic said:

Satander is a joke as our right fielder.. We have outfield prospects and I would rather see them instead of him. I don't care about his potential as he has shown nothing.  You need to get rid of the dead wood.  Also it will be a warning sign to the other players.  Start producing or you are going to be trying to find some spot on a minor league team.  He is 23 1/2.  Its not like he is some young superstar in the making.  You can't have pitcher type hitting out of your starting right fielder. 

If you are keeping Satander as your right fielder you have basically given up on the season 100 percent not trying. If so release Valencia and Pedro and bring up some of the prospects.

Why can't you wait 3 weeks? As for the O's they are not going anywhere near the playoffs. You have a false hope if you think this team has a chance at the Wild Card. Sorry but this season the O's are toasted. 

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

DJ Stewart has a .382 OBP at Norfolk.  I would like to give him a chance.  He has always shown the ability to get on base. 

I would like to give him a chance as well.  Once he is ready.  I don't wish to call up prospects and hinder their development just to try to patch holes on the major league roster.  That would be very short-sighted.  I'd love to see Stewart perform well enough in the 1st half to warrant consideration for a promotion around the AS break.  We'll see if he's able to do that.

You can keep Santander on the roster without playing him. Of course, that means Gentry in the starting lineup, and it's not like he is bringing much offensively.

Santander did hit two balls hard last night, a line drive up the middle that would have tied the game except it was snagged by Carrasco for the double play, and one that he turned on that looked gone off the bat but seemed to die.

33 minutes ago, atomic said:

True. He'll get the call eventually this year. There's no reason to rush these guys, though, the season has long since been lost.

On 4/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, Rene88 said:

Jones is the face of the franchise and a leader.   He will have his number retired.  Gentry is a fringe player that can barely hit and can’t stay healthy.

Gentry is a fringe player that can barely hit and can’t stay healthy.

This discussion is disrespectful to Adam Jones.

Travis Snider had 1.0 WAR too and he was garbage.

Not counting #42 for Jackie Robinson, there are 6 numbers retired in Oriole History.  None of them belong to players that have not won a WS Ring, AND been elected to the MLB HOF.  He is guaranteed induction to the Oriole HOF, but retiring his number?  Come on Mr. Dempsey, I see what you are trying to do.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:48 PM, DirtyBird said:

Out

Tillman
Wright
Joseph
Alvarez
Valencia
Gentry

In

Ramirez
Hess
Yacabonis
Wynns or Susac
DJ Stewart
Hays

What is sad is not that this has been debated for pages as to which of these 12 players are better than the other, it's that these names constitute over 25% of our 40 man roster.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Can I designate myself for assignment?     If some other team needs a fan, maybe they’ll claim me.    If not, I’d be happy to follow the minor league teams for a while.   

There are 7 or 8 really nice people that would be thrilled to have you in Tampa.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure how this team wasn't able to compete.

I mean normal contenders build their rosters with:
3 x Rule 5 guys... (Is this a record for a non-expansion team?)
4 x Non Roster Invitees (these are guys no one wanted to give a major league contract to)
2 x Platoon DHs (Alvarez and Valencia - Yes Valencia has a glove and has been used, but he's a break glass in case of emergency fielder.)
1 x starter with an 8+ ERA the year before
0 x shut down late inning relievers (In fairness Britton is hurt)

This team has zero depth so injuries to Schoop and Mancini was pretty much the death nail, though in fairness, even if they were still healthy, it's doubtful there would be much change.

It's the Orioles kind of rebuild. Keep all your expensive players, don't trade the ones that have value, and surround them with rebuilding type players.

I know right?  (And its knell.  Death knell, the tolling of a bell to announce death) 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

This is comic genius!  Sure DFA Santander a couple weeks before he is eligible to demote to the minors.  That will show em.  Yeah, screw his potential, we gotta get rid of dead wood.  A pitcher type hitting in RF?  Are you looking at the lineup?  We have pitcher types, poor ones at that, weighing down our lineup virtually everywhere.  But yes, if we keep Santander for a couple of weeks we are 100% giving up on the season.  By all means, lets get all the kids up here to play, start those clocks.

Genius man...genius!

The part that really confuses me right now is why Gabriel Ynoa hasn't been put on the 60 day DL yet. Guy hasn't even thrown yet due to the shin splints and shoulder issues and isn't projected to anytime soon.

That would clear up a 40 spot for *ideally* Corban Joseph (who has been crushing AA pitching and can play 3rd and 2nd), instead of having both Sardinas and Vielma, who haven't been doing anything good with the bat or glove.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The part that really confuses me right now is why Gabriel Ynoa hasn't been put on the 60 day DL yet. Guy hasn't even thrown yet due to the shin splints and shoulder issues and isn't projected to anytime soon.

That would clear up a 40 spot for *ideally* Corban Joseph (who has been crushing AA pitching and can play 3rd and 2nd), instead of having both Sardinas and Vielma, who haven't been doing anything good with the bat or glove.

Ynoa was just put on the 60-day to make room for Jace Peterson.  

On 4/22/2018 at 3:36 PM, Rene88 said:

Really? Come on man.

I strongly believe Santander will be good. Joseph is a great catcher.

Gentry and Wright-no argument.

Really? Why? It's not like he has a proven track record. There's a reason the Indians left him unprotected. And he's an absolute hack on the outfield. I'm with Atomic. The experiment needs to end. 

Archived