Unique way to fix baseball - Pay for Performance

Redskins Rick

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I like that, but that has no chance either. Trout is not going to want to make the same amount of money as the backup catcher on the bench.

I guess he could go play in Japan.  Seems like that if you divide 160 million by 25 players that is 6.4 million a piece.  Pretty good money for Trout who doesn't have a college degree.  Good players will stay in the big leagues longer.  So if Trout stays healthy and plays for 20  years that would be 128 million dollars.  And you could eliminate agents as you wouldn't need them anymore.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, atomic said:

I guess he could go play in Japan.  Seems like that if you divide 160 million by 25 players that is 6.4 million a piece.  Pretty good money for Trout who doesn't have a college degree.  Good players will stay in the big leagues longer.  So if Trout stays healthy and plays for 20  years that would be 128 million dollars.  And you could eliminate agents as you wouldn't need them anymore.  

I suspect a vast majority of celebrities in the entertainment industry do not have degrees and making millions.

I like the thought about getting rid of the agents. :)

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I like the idea.  Why not use brackets?  So you've got your 160 million payroll.  Teams rank their players 16-25 Get paid the least, 11-15, 6-10, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1.  Your top people get paid the most.  Whoever you tag 1, 2 or 3, can't sign with another team.  A variation of the franchise tag in football.  Let a team/fan base build around a few players.  Talent would be naturally encouraged to spread around.  Someone who could be a 1 on one team or a 5 on another will choose the team with less overall talent.  Keep a semblance of competitive balance.  

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just do a salary cap, there is no chance of this getting implemented in a team sport.

o

If this were ever done for Major League Baseball, it might become known as a "Yankee Cap."

Image result for Yankee Cap

o

1 hour ago, osfan83 said:

We should do this with all jobs. The government sets the rate of pay for all positions and everyone, regardless of performance, gets paid the same for that position. 9_9 

Well most jobs aren't union jobs. But MLB has a union so in most unions people are paid based on their years of experience and not their relative worth.  

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I suspect a vast majority of celebrities in the entertainment industry do not have degrees and making millions.

I like the thought about getting rid of the agents. :)

Do you think Trout could get a job in the Entertainment industry if he left baseball?  Perhaps but he isn't a household name for people who don't follow baseball. 

24 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just do a salary cap, there is no chance of this getting implemented in a team sport.

Schemes like the OP and salary caps only help further enrich owners. Don't be fooled into thinking they'd translate to $2 tickets and 50 cent beers. Ticket prices would remain the same no matter how much money you take out of the players pockets. It's just squeezing the balloon: players get less, owners get more.

6 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

One my main issues with baseball is that the owners don't have enough money. We really need to get them more money any way possible.

What if we regulated ticket prices and cable fees as well as player salaries?     Top salary of $1 mm, $150 k to start.     Game tickets ranging from $3-20.     Cable fees of 50 cents a month.    

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23366111/radical-ideas-series-mlb-players-were-paid-commission

Mods please allow here for initial discussion.

Makes a ton of sense.

Has no chance in hades of ever happening

Union wouldn't allow that. What if say a pitcher allows a homerun and no other hits. The team loses 1 to zip. The pitcher gets the loss but the hitters do squat. Whom do you pay peanuts too? 

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I like that, but that has no chance either. Trout is not going to want to make the same amount of money as the backup catcher on the bench.

As an accountant I would be pissed a clerk made as much. 

Archived