Unique way to fix baseball - Pay for Performance

Redskins Rick

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You might find the fans rooting for the home team to be shut out.  

I went to a Nats/Padres game in DC back in 2008 when they both were 100 loss teams. The entire home crowd was rooting for the Nats to lose in the bottom of the ninth because if the game went on any longer - it would be past 11pm and too late for Fireworks Night. The Nats tied the game, it went into extras. All 200 in attendance were devastated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, weams said:

My use of the word in a baseball context does not open this up to geopolitical discussion.  Frobby was funning us/me. And I back.  He enjoyed that I saw his tack. 

I was riffing on the use of the word, "jingoism."

7 hours ago, weams said:

There is not a chance of this ever happening. And the league is farther from that today than they have ever been.

The NBA has the perfect system with a soft salary cap that includes several exceptions that allow teams to exceed the salary cap to sign players. For example, the NBA allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own players. So basically elite players would end up giving a good deal of money if they decide to leave via free agency to go to another team. It would give a team like the Orioles a lot of leverage if they were allowed to pay Machado say $30 million more than every other team could offer him. And that rule helps small market teams in the NBA keep their superstars. It would be nice if teams like the Rays and A's were able to keep all of their players that they developed instead of losing them as soon as their six years of service time is up. The sport would be in a much healthier place.

Each player should make 50% of what they make now, and the other 50% would be shared by the entire team based on Ws not individual statistics.

It's lke that in Soccer, in many leagues around the world. Players are paid bonuses per win in addition to their salaries.

16 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought when they had the Congressional here, they talked about how much it cost for them to invite Tiger to play.

Since it's been the AT&T/Quicken Loans National,  it's actually been tiger's event,  the TW Foundation has been the host.   Congo may have lost money overall,  but they certainly didn't have to pay tiger to show up. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• But you’re saying he’s the equivalent to a 5-7 round pick without knowing anything about him.  
    • I thought this might be a good place to briefly synopsis the various Negro Lesgues.  I’m by no means an expert on the topic.   Generally speaking, these leagues did not play uniform schedules.  That is, all teams did not play the same number of games, and in some cases, discrepancies were large. The Negro National League played from 1920 to 1931.   It normally played 82-102 games a year, but only played 60 in its final year of existence.  23 different teams played in this league at different times, but never more than 8-9 at a time.   The Negro National League II ran from 1933-48.  It played 55-91 games a year, usually somewhere in the high 60’s/low 70’s. 12 different teams played in that league, anywhere from 6-9 teams a year. The Negro American League existed from 1937-48.  It played from 47-114 games per year, over 100 in its final five years.  14 different teams played in this league, never more than 8 at a time, and 6 for most of its existence.   The Eastern Colored League played from  1923-28, playing 34-90 games per year.  Ten teams played in this league, 5-8 at a time.   The American Negro League played one season, 1929, and had six teams playing 66-80 games. The East-West League played one season, 1932, and its 8 teams played between 4 and 55 games.   The Negro Southern League played one season, 1932, and its 11 teams played between 8 and 50 games.   A useful Wikipedia entry on the history of the Negro Leagues can be found here.  
    • Baker.  That’s one of those depth pieces you were talking about.  8.47 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP in AAA.   How do you like him now?
    • Rod Carew was the original Tony Gwynn by the happenstance of when I was born, and I'd guess there were other hit 'em where they ain't guys before Wee Willie Keeler. Luis Arraez today is so much fun as a rarer outlier as Turn and Burn has basically been proven to be run favorable in general. I do think Sigbots value the Nori Aoki/Adam Frazier-y skillset as more resilient against the best of Kyle Boddy's brightest pupils. Best on Best in October is when baseball gifts amazing competitions, and Soto beating all of Hader, Kershaw and Cole to drag that almost failed Strasburg-Bryce-Scherzer roster to its one shining moment is one of the most brilliant runs I've seen. Corbin Burnes is probably the best pitcher in the league (sorry, Seth Lugo) but I'll feel like he's a touchdown underdog in the basic building block of the pitcher-hitter matchup.
    • It's not just tv hits like the one on MLB Network comparing the two.  I was a lot less happy to see a comparison between Soto and GH when it is Scott Boras doing it:  
    • 18.2 K/9 in the FCL equivalent. Honestly, who knows?  I guess you can say that about every player that young. Also, outside of Carter Baumler and Zac Showalter, we haven’t drafted a HS pitcher, so we’re all a little rusty on evaluating that league.  His numbers in the ACL look similar to Baumler’s and Showalter’s at the same age.  They got big money. So there is that.  Showalter Player Page https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=showal000zac   Baumler Player Page https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=baumle000car   Someone in Florida will get a report on this kid. He definitely didn’t get the combined millions that Baumler and Showalter did. 
  • Popular Contributors