I will be on 105.7 the Fan with Scott and Jeremy at 5PM

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Why must you go on at the time I start work ???

If anyone can take notes, I'll buy you a beer at a game.

o

I'll transcribe.

I also prefer Gatorade over beer, since I don't drink that stuff.

o

o

TUESDAY, MAY 8th

SCOTT GARCEAU:) If Chris Tillman gets replaced in the starting rotation, what are some of the possibilities that we could have from AAA-Norfolk or AA-Bowie ???

TONY PENTE:)l We basically have 3 options ........ 

David Hess has been throwing well for AAA-Norfolk, although he has some command issues. His walks are a little high, but overall he has been throwing pretty well. But when he's on (with his command), he's good.

Tim Melville is a former Major Leaguer, and he has done well at the AAA-level over the last 2 seasons ........ but like Hess, he has had some command issues. He does throw in the mid-90's, so he has some zip/juice on his stuff. He has thrown well, but again, his walks are a little high. Basically, Hess and Melville are the same type of guys. I'll take either one of them every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Tillman right now, though.

The 3rd option that could make a splash if he is promoted to replace Tillman is Keegan Akin. Akin has thrown well at AA-Bowie so far this season, as he struck 12 batter in 6 innings two starts ago. I think that he is close to being Major League ready, but not quite there yet. Like Melville and Hess, he is also working on his command. He probably needs more time at the AA and/or AAA levels, but the Orioles are desperate for that #5 slot right now, so he may come up sooner than later. Melville is the guy I would go with if they absolutely had to replace Tillman right now. 

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l What would you do overall in terms of a rebuild at this point ???

TONY PENTE:)l I think that a complete rebuild is necessary. Machado is biggest and most obvious trade chip, that's no surprise. The Dodgers, the Cubs, and the Diamondbacks all have good farm systems, so I could see a reasonably good deal getting done with any of those teams that could bring back a solid return. They would have enough guys that are young AND Major League ready. If you could target those guys, it would probably be good for the Orioles' future.

But other than Machado, we really don't really have a lot of tradeable guys. We have some really good young players, but we don't want to trade them. I think that guys like Bundy, Mancini, Gausman, and Schoop are all part of the solution, not the problem. The only other trade chip that I think could potentially get us something back would be Adam Jones, but in order for him to become marketable, he needs to get on a hot streak. He's a guy that you would want to reward for his long tenure as an Oriole by getting him him to a contender, and he would hopefully he will bring a solid return back for the Orioles' future teams.

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l What's going on with Hays and Mullins  ???

TONY PENTE:)l Hays has been a disappointment down at AA. He suddenly has incorporated an uppercut swing, is swinging for fences, and is subsequently striking out a lot. And in turn, he is also not walking much. I don't what happened with him since last season. There are a lot of theories out there on why its happened, nobody really knows for sure.

Mullins has been up and down, but his speed has not been there since he hurt his hamstring in the middle of last season. Neither of them (Hays or Mullins) is breaking down any doors, though.

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l What's going on with Dylan Bundy and his last 2 starts ???

TONY PENTE:)  In his last 2 starts, his command simply was not there. When he is on he has 4 or 5 pitches of which he has command of, and batters subsequently have no idea what's coming. But when he loses command, he has to resort to throwing the fastball more often to throw strikes, and the batters subsequently know what's coming. He's not overly powerful at this point in his career, so he needs that command. I am not worried about Bundy though, he will be fine. Gausman has been fantastic, also. 

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l Regular-A Delmarva has 3 or 4 starters that have all been pitching great, haven't they ???

TONY PENTE:)l Yes, and they are all are prospect arms. Michael Baumann, Cameron Bishop, Zack Lowther ........ they are all top-20 prospects, and pitching incredibly well. They all have ERA's that are under 2.00. Even Matthias Dietz is throwing the ball pretty well. And Gary Fenter, who had previously undergone Tommy John surgery, is throwing well. I think that you will see these guys get up to Advanced-A Frederick pretty soon, and if they continue to pitch well at that level they might even get to AA-Bowie in the latter portion of the season.

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l Tony, you have an article coming out in relation to the goings-on of the Orioles' front office ??? Things in regard to Buck Showalter, Brady Anderson, perhaps Dan Duquette's lack of influence, etc ???

TONY PENTE:)l Yeah, I put something out there (in the public) on that, and I subsequently feel a lot of pressure because I talked about it. But yes, I do have an article about it that will be coming out in the near future.

o

o

Please keep in mind that when I post radio interviews of Tony Pente and Roy Firestone, I am paraphrasing ...... subsequently, there may be a thing or two in my transcriptions that may be somewhat amiss.

o

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

TUESDAY, MAY 8th

SCOTT GARCEAU:) If Chris Tillman gets replaced in the starting rotation, what are some of the possibilities that we could have from AAA-Norfolk or AA-Bowie ???

David Hess has been throwing well for AAA-Norfolk, although he has some command issues. His walks are a little high, but overall he has been throwing pretty well. But when he's on (with his command), he's good.

Tim Melville is a former Major League, and he has done well at the AAA-level over the last 2 seasons ........ but like Hess, he has had some command issues. He does throw in the mid-90's, so he has some zip.juice on his stuff. He has thrown well, but again, his walks are a little high. Basically, Hess and Melville are the same type of guys. I'll take either one of them every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Tillman right now, though.

The 3rd option that could make a splash if he is promoted to replace Tillman is Keegan Akin. Akin has thown well at AA-Bowie so far this season, as he struck 12 batter in 6 innings two starts ago. I think that he is close to being Major League ready, but not quite there yet. Liike Melville and Hess, he is also working on hins command. He probably needs more time at the AA and/or AAA levels, but the Orioles are desperate for that #5 slot right now, so he may come up sooner than later. Melville is the guy I would go with if they absolutely had to replace Tillman right now. 

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l What would you do overall in terms of a rebuild at this point ???

TONY PENTE:)l I think that a complete rebuild is necessary. Machado is biggest and most obvious trade chip, that's no surprise. The Dodgers, the Cubs, and the Diamondbacks all have good farm systems, so I could see a reasonably good deal getting done with any of those teams that could bring back a solid return. They would have enough guys that are young AND Major League ready. If you could target those guys, it would probably be good for the Orioles' future.

But other than Machado, we really don't really have a lot of tradeable guys. We have some really good young players, but we don't want to trade them. I think that guys like Bundy, Mancini, Gausman, and Schoop are all part of the solution, not the problem. The only other trade chip that I think could potentially get us something back would be Adam Jones, but in order for him to become marketable, he needs to get on a hot streak. He's a guy that you would want to reward for his long tenure as an Oriole by getting him him to a contender, and he would hopefully he will bring a solid return back for the Orioles' future teams.

TONY PENTE:)l Hays has been a disappointment down at AA. He suddenly has incorporated an uppercut swing, is swinging for fences, and is subsequently striking out a lot. And in turn, he is also not walking much. I don't what happened with him since last season. There are a lot of theories out there on why its happened, nobody really knows for sure.

Mullins has been up and down, but his speed has not been there since he hurt his hamstring in the middle of last season. Neither of them (Hays or Mullins)is breaking down any doors, though.

TONY PENTE:)  In his last 2 starts, his command simply was not there. When he is on he has 4 or 5 pitches of which he has command of, and batters subsequently have no idea what's coming. But when he loses command, he has to resort to throwing the fastball more often to throw strikes, and the batters subsequently know what's coming. He's not overly powerful at this point in his career, so he needs that command. I am not worried about Bundy though, he will be fine. Gausman has been fantastic, also. 

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l Regular-A Delmarva has 3 or 4 starters that have all been pitching great, haven't they ???

TONY PENTE:)l Yes, and they are all are prospect arms. Michael Baumann, Cameron Bishop, Zack Lowther ........ they are all top-20 prospects, and pitching incredibly well. They all have ERA's that are under 2.00. Even Matthias Dietz is throwing the ball pretty well. And Gary Fenter, who had previously undergone Tommy John surgery, is throwing well. I think you will see these guys get up to Advanced-A Frederick pretty soon, and if they continue to pitch well at that level they might even get to AA-Bowie in the latter portion of the season.

SCOTT GARCEAU:)l Tony, you have an article coming out in relation to the goings-on of the Orioles' front office ??? Things in regard to Buck Showalter, Brady Anderson, perhaps Dan Duquette's lack of influence, etc ???

TONY PENTE:)l Yeah, I put something out there (in the public) on that, and I subsequently feel a lot of pressure because I talked about it. But yes, I do have an article about it that will be coming out in the near future.

o

Great job. Thanks.

I'd like to have my comments back about Bundy. I'm now worried!

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Great job. Thanks.

I'd like to have my comments back about Bundy. I'm now worried !!!

o

Anytime.

I think that Bundy will be fine, in the long run.

o

On 5/8/2018 at 6:02 PM, OFFNY said:

o

TUESDAY, MAY 8th

Tim Melville is a former Major League, and he has done well at the AAA-level over the last 2 seasons ........ but like Hess, he has had some command issues. He does throw in the mid-90's, so he has some zip/juice on his stuff. He has thrown well, but again, his walks are a little high. Basically, Hess and Melville are the same type of guys. I'll take either one of them every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Tillman right now, though.

The 3rd option that could make a splash if he is promoted to replace Tillman is Keegan Akin. Akin has thrown well at AA-Bowie so far this season, as he struck 12 batter in 6 innings two starts ago. I think that he is close to being Major League ready, but not quite there yet. Like Melville and Hess, he is also working on his command. He probably needs more time at the AA and/or AAA levels, but the Orioles are desperate for that #5 slot right now, so he may come up sooner than later. Melville is the guy I would go with if they absolutely had to replace Tillman right now. 

Mullins has been up and down, but his speed has not been there since he hurt his hamstring in the middle of last season. Neither of them (Hays or Mullins) is breaking down any doors, though.

TONY PENTE:)l Yes, and they are all are prospect arms. Michael Baumann, Cameron Bishop, Zack Lowther ........ they are all top-20 prospects, and pitching incredibly well. They all have ERA's that are under 2.00. Even Matthias Dietz is throwing the ball pretty well. And Gary Fenter, who had previously undergone Tommy John surgery, is throwing well. I think that you will see these guys get up to Advanced-A Frederick pretty soon, and if they continue to pitch well at that level they might even get to AA-Bowie in the latter portion of the season.

o

Thanks a million OFFNY! 

Archived